Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
Could someone recommend some books about French history? Any period is fine, but I'm especially interested in the post-revoltional stuff, like the Hundred Days, up until around de Gaulle's death in 1970.

Fodder Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

steiv18 posted:

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2, and it's gotten me in the mood for something similar to the whole "massive ancient conspiracy" thing like the assassins/templars in the game. Bonus points for any wacky alternate-history stuff Henry Ford helped Hitler start WWII?! Any recommendations?

No Dan Brown, please.

The obvious suggestions would be Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum. I'm about 100 pages from the end of Foucault's Pendulum and it's fantastic. If you're looking for non-fiction there are numerous books on the Medici family which I believe plays some part in the game.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Could someone recommend me some plays that work well read? The only playwrights I have any deeper familiarity with are Shakespeare and Strindberg.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

If you feel like reading some dark comedy, try The Pillowman , by Martin McDonagh.

If you want a new take on an old story, try Derek Walcott's Odyssey: A Stage Version.

If you want to laugh your rear end off and wonder what the hell was wrong with the ancient Greeks, try Lysistrata, by Aristophanes.

I don't even really like reading plays, and enjoyed these three immensely.

Perfect, thank you.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Ballsworthy posted:

Seconding the short story recommendation, I'm a big fan of A Clean, Well-Lighted Place. 3 pages of gold.

Thirding the short stories. If you're looking for a novel I recommend Islands in the Stream. It was published posthumously and it's about an American painter living on Bimini and later about his time hunting German U-boats outside Cuba.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

rasser posted:

With a half gallon of whiskey and a shotgun? This sums up all my prejudice of Hemingway, the bloated egomaniac. Anyway, if it's written by him it has the potential of being a great read.

Pretty much, except replace whiskey with a whole lot of daiquiris.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

It's pretty good. At times it does feel like a rant, but in those spots I just put it down and came back to it later. I haven't read any of his biology books but I bought The Greatest Show on Earth after reading, and enjoying the writing of, The God Delusion.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Bonus posted:

Please recommend me some good that involve road trips around the US, preferably through small towns, deserts, etc. I just dig that sort of thing. For instance, I really liked all the traveling through various towns and roadside attractions that went on in American Gods.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I'd recommend US Guys by Charlie LeDuff. There's no actual travelling but the author does visit a lot of small towns and what you could call roadside attractions, mostly in middle America. LeDuff is basically looking at different people's perception of manliness. He hangs out with a Detroit cop, some Little Big Horn reenactors, and a biker gang, among others. It's pretty interesting, and though it sounds like you really want the travel aspect I still think it would be worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Steiv posted:

I'm looking for a good read about the intelligence community, be it CIA or NSA or whatever, but something less :tinfoil: and more, "I was here, I did this, it was awesome/horrifying/whatever." Preferably non-fiction.

How about 1000 pages on James Bond's cousin?

Fodder Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 21, 2010