Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I would recommend Frederick Marryat's works if your SO loved the O'Brian novels. Marryat actually served under Lord Cochrane, the Captain who inspired both Aubrey and Hornblower, and he wrote several engaging novels about naval life. My favorite was Mr. Midshipman Easy, but they are all worth looking into to.

I read a few Kent and Ramage books, and remember them being fun, but they felt more like standard issue historical romances than O'Brian's more absorbing world, particularly in the dialog, which is admittedly inimical. However, it has been years since I read them, and I don't remember much about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

ch1mp posted:

I posted in the chat thread but maybe this is the better place.

Has any one read Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian? Is the content suitable for young readers - specifically a sheltered 13 year old in a religious family? I was thinking of getting it for my nephew for Christmas but don't want to piss off my family by introducing inappropriate material into their conservative household. A little non-graphic violence may be O.K. but any sex whatsoever would be a deal breaker.

It's implied that Capt. Aubrey is having an affair with his admiral's wife, but nothing direct or even remotely graphic.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm still a literature noob but I've been getting into a lot of postmodern work this year, starting with Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow in the summer. Since then I've read and really liked Danielewski's House of Leaves, Auster's New York Trilogy, and am just about to finish up on Wallace's Infinite Jest. I also really liked Kafka's Trial though I'm not sure it counts. I'm at a loss for whee to go next, so does anyone have some good suggestions?

Have you read any Nabokov? Pale Fire was a great postmodern book, and you'll be well on your way to understanding it if you could handle the endnotes in Infinite Jest.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I know someone asked before about books on the French Revolution, but I'm going to ask again. I was looking for books more about the events leading up to it, but nothing too textbook-y.

I know absolutely nothing about the French Revolution, but I want to learn, so that's a start.

I really enjoyed Simon Schama's Citizens. It did a great job of revealing the Revolution's roots in and effect on written and visual culture, while also giving a very readable account of the events and personalities. Link:http://www.amazon.com/Citizens-Chronicle-Revolution-Simon-Schama/dp/0679726101. If your in the mood to read an apocolyptic, almost poetic rant on the Revolution from a famous Victorian, then check out Thomas Carlyle's The French Revolution. While this is not a even handed account, it is pretty entertaining.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

edit- poo poo, Pullman's His Dark Materials!

Obviously, if you haven't read these yet go get them now!
Another series I enjoyed featuring a young woman as a protagonist was Paul Park's Princess of Roumania. It took its time getting started, but the characterizations were wonderful, and the villain was very memorable. It's set in an alternate pre-WW1 era where England has sunk into the sea, and eastern Europe is the seat of power and civilization. Also magic; and a cool person who is not quite a man, a woman, or a golden retriever, but something of each. One of the most well written fantasies I've read in a while and very satisfying.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Can anyone recommend some books that are like or combine aspects of the following art pieces? I would love to read something unconventional from a new perspective that focuses on taboo characters, situations, and organizations. Morally ambiguous and thought-provoking books- existentialist/philosophical books would be preferred.

-"Requiem for a Dream"
-"1984" and "Brave New World"
-"Time's Arrow"
-"Schindler's List"
-"The Pianist"

Short crappy list, I know, but its all I can think of at the moment. You can notice the WW2 interest, any books that deal with the above themes in the context of that war would be interesting.

You should probably read Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. WW2, taboo, thought provoking, etc.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well, The Embarrassment of Riches by Simon Schama is a very good history of the low countries, but it does focus on the United Provinces rather than Belgium. I kinda feel like a Schama shill with my recs, but the book does a great job of explaining the development of Dutch culture.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I really wanted to recommend something for both of you, but I haven't really found a book yet focusing on Post-Elizabethan England or the Holy Roman Empire. The closest I've found to the former was Schama's History of Britain and Norman Davies' Europe for the latter, but both works cover more ground and consequently can't go into the kind of depth on these eras that I'm sure you're looking for.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

modig posted:

Check out Jack McDevitt's stuff, like Devil'ls Eye, Cauldron, A Talent For War. All the stuff that stars Alex seems to spend more time talking about his female employee Chase Kolpath, who is the more interesting characte. It's kind of like scifi Indiana Jones, but more mystery and less action.

Now for my request. I read The Man Eaters of Kumoan, and it was awesome because its real, but its crazier than most fiction books. So I'm asking for books about crazy real poo poo, but not adventure or mountaineering stuff.

This is probably really obvious, but if like big cats eating people you'll really enjoy The Man Eaters of Tsavo by J.H. Patterson. They made a pretty good movie out of it called The Ghost and The Darkness. It's the true story of an engineer who went to Africa, and was faced with two lions who were attacking the railroad's workers.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Also, if you haven't read Bruce Sterling yet, you'd probably like him.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Traxis posted:

I'm looking for a good modern crime drama, something like The Wire in novel form. Any recommendations?

I'd also recommend George Pelecanos. He wrote for The Wire as well and has written a terrific series of books set in D.C. For crime with a Boston flavor, check out some of Dennis Lehane's work as well, particularly Mystic River.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

JoeWindetc posted:

I loved Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series. I just finished the last(?) of the series, Moonlight Mile, and I'm looking for something along those lines. Not a traditional detective novel per say, but rather gritty, modern, etc.

P.S. Read the rest of his stuff too.

Try George Pelecanos' stuff, it's realistic crime fiction set in D.C. rather than Boston. Also, if you haven't read it yet, pick up Clockers by Richard Price, great crime novel.

To the thread: I'd like to request a recommendation for a good history of the Renaissance, politics, culture, the works. Thanks!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translations are well respected. I haven't read their version of War and Peace, but their Brothers K is great and if I were snagging War and Peace I'd definitely get their translation.

Edit: What's a good history of the French Revolution?

I'll second the Pevear and Volokhonsky recommendation. I've read their War & Peace as well as Constance Garnett's, and P & V was vastly superior.

My favorite history of the French Revolution was Simon Schama's Citizens; an interesting rundown of the events surrounding the Revolution while also examining the cultural influences that formed the people and ideas involved. It also has a bunch of pretty pictures.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Nione posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for mystery detective novels/series. My stepmom loves mysteries and has just finished reading M.C. Beaton's scottish detective series (seriously, those are among the worst-written detective stories I've ever read, wtf?). She also likes Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, and the Amelia Peabody series amongst others, so primarily detective stories that have a historical/old-fashioned or British feel to them. Nothing with lots of sex or violence. Any ideas? It's her birthday in a couple of weeks and I'd love to give her a whole new series to start on.

She might also enjoy Dorothy Sayers' Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane mysteries; The Nine Tailors is my favorite, but they are all pretty good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

Can anyone recommend some entertaining (ie. not textbook) books about European history? More of an overview than focusing on any specific period (like, the history of Joan of Arc is not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm looking more for something like England between 1200 and 1600). Ideally English or French, but honestly anything like that would be good. The kicker is that I'd really like for there to be a Kindle version of it.

Thanks.

Norman Davies' Europe: A History is pretty great, although it covers the entire continent and from prehistoric times to the EU.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Private Snowball posted:

Can anyone recommend a good short story collection preferably by a famous author as most English language books are hard to find out here. I'm just now finishing a collection of Hemingway.

Scott Fitzgerald's short stories are also pretty great if you would like to spend some more time with the lost generation, so long as you don't mind a little fetishizing of the rich.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

Can anyone recommend a good overview of the French Revolution? I've been on a long history kick and realized I know almost nothing about it, much to my embarrassment.

This is from way earlier in the thread, but I hope its still applicable:

PatMarshall posted:

I really enjoyed Simon Schama's Citizens. It did a great job of revealing the Revolution's roots in and effect on written and visual culture, while also giving a very readable account of the events and personalities. Link:http://www.amazon.com/Citizens-Chro...a/dp/0679726101. If your in the mood to read an apocolyptic, almost poetic rant on the Revolution from a famous Victorian, then check out Thomas Carlyle's The French Revolution. While this is not a even handed account, it is pretty entertaining.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Any recommendations for spy thrillers equivalent to James Bond, but in WW2 rather than the Cold War? I'm checking out John Le Carre... (edit: okay I don't think he's written any WW2-set books)

I basically just want to read some good old fashioned Nazi-rear end-kicking action!

There are plenty of great WWII spy novels, but they don't have much to do with kicking rear end or James Bond (at least the ones I've read). I would recommend the works of Alan Furst and Eric Ambler, particularly Ambler's A Coffin for Dimitrios.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

May anyone recommend a novel/series set in 1910s or 1920s Europe? I'm thinking smokey train carriages and political intrigue. Thank you :)

You might also want to check out Graham Greene's Orient Express, also known as Stamboul Train. Espionage on a train, pretty cool. Eric Ambler and Alan Furst also write really good spy thrillers set in the early 30's and 40's. I know you asked for earlier in the century, but I'm drawing a blank for political intrigue other than Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent, which is good and worth reading.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Wiley360 posted:

Over the past few weeks I have been binging on the Wire, the HBO show. I really love it and I'm familiar with David Simon's other books, but can anyone recommend any literature that's along the same lines as the show?

Richard Price, George Pelecanos, Dennis Lehane, and I'm sure some others, but that's what I got off the top of my head. They all wrote guest episodes for the Wire as well.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

based gaddis posted:

While I'm here, looking for some Eastern European fiction. I've been reading some excellent short stories by this Hungarian dude, Geza Csath, and I realized I don't know many other authors from that neck of the woods.

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm currently really enjoying Peter Nadas' Parallel Stories. It's a Hungarian epic following various characters from WWII to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

AwesomePossum posted:

Royal Navy - Napoleonic Wars fiction, and anything similar?

I'm a huge Aubrey/Maturin fan, also read the Lord Ramage series through multiple times. I've read some Horatio, but I always end up with bad quality ebook files.

Anyways, any other series, or standalone recommendations would be welcome, it is one of my favorite genres.

Try Mr. Midshipman Easy by Marryat. Marryat actually served with Lord Cochrane, and his books a lot of fun. For more adventure from that era, I recommend The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal, one of my favorite books; finally, for a brilliant, post-modern re-imagining, check out Mason and Dixon by the incomparable Pynchon.

You might also want to give Cornwell's Sharpe series a try, they tend to be well done.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

My Bag posted:

Could someone recommend me some books? I've been running out of new reading material lately.

Genre doesn't particularly matter. The main things I'm looking for are memorable characters, humor, creative use of language, or writing that's evocative without being purple prose. I also like books that have a puzzle to solve, like murder mysteries.

There are also a few things I'm NOT looking for that should narrow it down. Nothing with graphic rape or torture, other vivid trauma, or sadistically-described deaths.

I'd also prefer to avoid books that express a philosophy. I'm fine with books that discuss several philosophies, through characters or otherwise, but when there's just one that colors the whole work it gets boring and oppressive. I might be wrong about this, and if there's a really good philosophical book that covers everything in the second paragraph, then go ahead and tell me.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like you should read Pale Fire by Nabokov.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mourning Due posted:

Every year for the past three years, I've done a Spooktacular 30 days of October. First year it was just any old horror movie a day for 31 days, next year was 31 Hammer Horror films, next year was 31 Twilight Zone episodes, and this year I'm wanting to do 31 Horror Short Stories. Part of the whole thing is to introduce my friends to stories I've read and enjoyed, but obviously I want to discover some new, exciting ones as well.

Already, I'm going with:

"The Music on the Hill", by Saki
"The Mezzotint", by M.R. James
"The Landlady", by Roald Dahl
"The Wendigo", by Algernon Blackwood
"The Music of Erich Zann", by H.P. Lovecraft
"The Raven", by Edgar Allen Poe
"The Speckled Band", by Arthur Conan Doyle
"The Army Man", by HP Shivcraft (a goon, yes, but I want to introduce people)
"The Lost Ghost", by Mary Wilkins Freeman
"The Yellow Wallpaper", by Charlotte Perkins Gillman
"A Ghost Story", by Mark Twain

So, 11 ideas, and 20 to go. Any ideas on good spooky shorts? I feel a lot of these are quite tongue in cheek, and would like some actually scary/serious ones in the mix.

Also, not to be picky, but if they were public domain/on Project Gutenburg that would be quite handy, but not a necessity.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James is pretty cool, but its more of a novella than a short story. I believe its in the public domain though.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Solaron posted:

I just finished Mao's Great Famine - one of the first good non-fiction books I've read in recent history that's not something from Dawkins/Hitchens/etc. It was pretty incredible to read and struggle to comprehend the incredible struggle that China went through in those years, only 50 years ago or so.

To continue my streak of not re-reading sci-fi and fantasy books, does anyone have any recommendations for some good books on historical events like that?

I'm interested in things similar to Mao's Great Famine; WWII would be interesting, books on recent Russian history would be really cool, etc.

If anyone has some good suggestions I'd love them.

Thanks!

I would also recommend checking out Inferno by Max Hastings. It's one of the best histories of WWII I've read, and really does a good job on the Russian front.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

GenSpecific posted:

Any good suggestions for books on negotiation and body language? This years political season made me realize I am terrible at convincing people of anything.

Getting to Yes by Ury, et al. is pretty good on negotiation techniques. For the villain guy, try reading the Ripley series from Patricia Highsmith.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm looking for a book on the lead-up to the American Revolution. I realized that I don't know too much about it beyond the assorted bits every American picks up in grade school history classes and by osmosis. I'm particularly interested in when and how the colonists came to think of themselves as "American", separate from Britain. And preferably something covering the British side of things as well.

A Leap in the Dark by John Ferling is terrific. You should also check out some of the contemporary writings, like Thomas Paine's Common Sense for a better understanding of the currents of thought leading up to the Revolution.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Nick Cage posted:

One of my regrets is not taking lit in college, and so I try to read as much as possible in my spare time, and I find like I'm sure most of you do that you get the most from a book by first reading it and then reading a bunch of crit which considers it.

So the problem is now I'm frequently running into names like Lacan, Foucault, zizek and baudrillard (to name a few,) and so my understanding of them is mostly through tertiary tangential references to their ideas, and I'd like to have a broader and more fundamental knowledge of lit crit theory generally.

Can anyone recommend any book/s which cover this material? I don't mind if its a college textbook. I'm afraid if I attack it chronologically through primary texts I'm gonna burn out pretty fast, and i don't think that's the best approach usually anyway.

I liked the Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism; its primary materials, but its more on the order of representative selections that give you a point of entry for deeper digging than an overwhelming presentation (although its plenty long).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

If you liked Tinker, Tailor the obvious suggestion would be more John le Carre. Frederick Forsyth might be up your alley too.

I would second Le Carre, and also recommend Eric Ambler.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Red Crown posted:

No poo poo, I finished that last week. Great read, highly recommend it. I'm thinking more along the lines of fiction novels, or at least books that focus on more "average" people.

Have you read Lolita? I mean Humbert's not just selfish, but that's certainly part of it. Oh! The Talented Mr. Ripley! I don't know, most people are really selfish, so any good book would probably meet your request. Hemingway; really pretty selfish dude, but most of his books (OK, the first couple) are really good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

bowmore posted:

What Hemingway should I start with?

The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, or the short stories. All terrific, but the short stories have stayed with me the longest. Any of the collections should be a good introduction.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

I want to get a Lonesome Dove book for my brother for xmas. Should I start with the first book published or the first book chronologically in the series (Dead Man's Walk)?

I would start with Lonesome Dove. Dead Man's Walk is cool, but I think it works better as a prequel than an introduction.

Skrill.exe posted:

Can I get some good recommendations on noir/hardboiled books that take place in Europe? Think The Third Man. It doesn't have to be a detective story, it can star some random dude, just lots of shady goings on in a pre-war/mid-war/intra-war/post-war Europe.

Try Eric Ambler (A Coffin for Dimitrios is my favorite) or Alan Furst. Both excellent spy stories set in Europe between the wars.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

CancerStick posted:

I'm looking for a good book to read related to medicine. Not the science, but perhaps the human side? Perhaps something written by a physician that discusses previous cases. Very vague, I guess, but here is something I read that I found very touching and would like something similar.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/014026972X/ref=nosim/librarythin08-20

I'm not looking for something that has to be heavy handed with emotion as this book would appear to be. Anything that is well written about previous cases by physicians would be appreciated.

Atul Gawande's Complications may be what you're looking for.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Ulio posted:

Any books for the 1870 Franco-German War? Been reading about the first world war, it seems not knowing much about 1870 sort of hampers the understanding of German-Franco standings/relations.

I don't know a definitive history of the period, but Zola wrote a series of realist novels on the second empire and the third republic, one of which features Sedan. Google tells me it was La Debacle. I haven't read them yet, but this might prompt me to finally start.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Adib posted:

A few questions all at once:

1. I'm going to be doing a ton of reading this year per my New Year's resolution (and in accordance with my general love of reading). I'd like to start by tackling Hemingway. I've already read his Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises. I have all of his other books on my Kindle. Which ones should I read and in what order?

2. Just skimmed the first page of this thread and Murakami's name really seemed to stand out. Wikipedia has a list of his novels, short stories, and essays. Have the translations of these been made available in Kindle format? I'd really like to put as many of his works as possible on mine.

3. What do you guys think of Orhan Pamuk?

I doesn't really matter what order you read Hemingway in since you've already read his best novels. I would suggest reading the short stories, Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls . . . maybe Death in the Afternoon or the Green Hills of Africa, but they are kinda flawed, although still interesting. I wouldn't bother with the Key West novels, they aren't very good.

Murakami is interesting, but sorta repetitive, I've read Wind Up Bird Chronicles and Kafka on the Shore, and to be honest, you can really just read one or the other. I thought Wind Up was better. I hear Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is good, but I haven't read it yet. Most of his work seems to be available in English on Kindle.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Loucks posted:

I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but Clarke is taking her sweet time with a follow-up. Is there anything sort of similar? I don't usually like fantasy, but I really enjoyed the tone of JS&MN and somehow magic that isn't guys in robes throwing lightning bolts at each other is more palatable.

While its not fantasy, you might like Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. It takes place during the same approximate period of time, and the language is a lot of fun.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I just finished The Second World War by Antony Beevor. I didn't think I'd gain much from the book considering I spend most of my free time reading about and gaming WW2. However, it really helped me develop the timeline of events in my head and I have a much clearer understanding of the war because of the book. I was really impressed and walked away satisfied.

Now my question is, is there a similar book on WW1? I've read The Guns of August and while it is perhaps my favorite history book it obviously focuses more on the cause and lead up to the war and then sort of glosses over the next 3 1/2 years. What I'd ultimately like to read is a narrative in the same vein as Beevor's The Second World War. I want a better understanding of the war as a whole so in the future I'll be able to pick aspects which interest me and read about those. :)

I would recommend John Keegan's The First World War for an excellent military history. If you're interested in a cultural history, Try The Great War and Modern Memory by Fussell or Rites of Spring by Eksteins. I know you're set on WWII for now, but I highly recommend Max Hasting's Inferno if you haven't already read it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If you like Graham Greene, try Eric Ambler, Alan Furst or John LeCarre.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm looking for recomendations for espionage thrillers set during the Cold War. I've enjoyed the obvious Len Deighton and John Le Carré novels, and thrillers that veer into action territory (such as Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin) are good too.

I've read a couple of Frederick Forsyth books before and liked them, but honestly can't remember which ones, since it was years back.

Eric Ambler and Alan Furst are both worth reading.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone have a favorite novel about ancient Rome? I could swear I read a recommendation here for a series about the crisis of the republic, but I can't remember what it was. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks guys! I see things have changed since I last posted here; Hieronymous seems to have lost his green spaceman and WGS traded in M.I.A. . .