Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any recommendations for "historical" crime novels? I'm thinking mostly pre-industrial. So far I've read some Ruusuvuori, Van Gulik (one of my favourites but only because they're hell of fast reads), Eco's Il nome della rosa, Christie's Death Comes as the End (which wasn't very good), and one of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael novels but I can't remember the title.

In English, Finnish, or Swedish (as long as it's pretty much standard Swedish).

e: a few things some writers of historical fiction seem to love that I do not love: awkward foot sex scenes on the smithy floor, detailed descriptions of nautical manoeuvres, info dumps.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Haystack posted:

What are some good swashbuckling adventure books? I've got The Princess Bride and Stardust in mind as reference points, but I may be interested in anything in that approximately-renaissance-adventure mold.

Feel free to just throw titles at me, I'll look things up on my own time.

I don't know if they're great but Samuel Shellabarger made a lot of money with swashbuckling novels. I've only read Prince of Foxes (which they made a film out of) and The King's Cavalier and I was reasonably entertained. (Joke answer: https://archive.org/details/surgeonsstories00topegoog - I don't know if there's a full or recent English translation.)

Anyway thanks for the recommendations, thread.

e: Actually, "swashbuckling" might not mean what I thought it means so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(I may have asked about this previously somewhere but gently caress me if I can remember where and what the results were). This is pretty broad in that I'm also interested in other sorts of media besides books but there's something I want more of: literary shenanigans. I mean both works that are deceiving or attempting to deceive the reader/audience*, and also works about works meant to deceive the reader/audience in some way. Doesn't really matter if it's fiction or not.

Stuff I guess I'm trying to mean: Calvino's Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore, that one Paul Auster novel (or was it a novella? I forget), Welles's F for Fake, that art book with the people turning into alligators and poo poo.

*) Or someone else I guess; censors, spies, whatever. Maybe even the characters in the work - as in Mathieu's Julius Corentin Acquefacques although "works where characters are somehow mislead" is a bit too broad of course. I guess Moore's Watchmen would qualify, for instance, but only just.

OK I hope that was vague enough :mrwhite:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 17, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was a joke about US history curriculum emphasizing the stories of whites

Hah hah.

e: Excellent recommendations BTB.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

My daughter’s music teacher is Mr Medley.

The former head gardener of the University botanical gardens is called Arno Kasvi welp that's my name story god bless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They go downhill in quality unfortunately. It's a stop when you feel like it they don't get better series, unless you're really attached to the characters and want the whole character arc.

Wimsey has no character beyond "hello I can literally do anything and I can do it better than anyone what ho".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Somebody tell me about amazing true crime novels / story collections. Or fictional crime, either or. I want good writing and interesting/horrible events to read about.

Tangential to this, is there a good book (or good books) about art forgery in English? I've read pretty much all there is about it in Finnish but it's pretty much introductory stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's one really neat biography of an art forger whose author then turned around afterwards and tried to become a literary forger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Irving

Ohhh I know all* about De Hory and this I am going to look more into. Thank you very much :tipshat:

*) All that was in the last book I read.

e: Oh I should've remembered him from the movie as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

The Cornish Trilogy (Rebel Angels, What's Bred in the Bone, Lyre of Orpheus) by Robertson Davies.

Unless you are looking more for history on the subject, in which case vOv

Well I don't mind novels about art forgery. However, after BingTMing a plot summary for Rebel Angels I can safely say it's not what I'm looking for.

e: Well that was quick. Apparently Rebel Angels and The Rebel Angels are very different things indeed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Most of my crime novels are here, and holy cow are In Cold Blood + The Executioner's Song good. Like, insanely well written and getting creepier as we approach the crime itself. I found myself settling in to watch the second half of the Shining yesterday, and I had to turn it off because I just wanted to read. Which says something, because that movie has been insanely compelling!

I had to return Killers of the Flower Moon due to its subject matter, though - I'm not emotionally ready to cope with the kind of racism that would let a serial killer get away with murdering Native Americans. The book itself seemed well-written, but at the moment it's not for me.

quote:

"The Executioner's Song" is also the title of a poem by Mailer, published in gently caress You magazine in September 1964
:prepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

From a post on Facebook (not mine)

R.U.R.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

You should really get Bartleby and Co, and look up all the works that Vila-Matas catalogues in it, that should keep you busy

I chanced upon a translation of this on a book shop's bargain table for a few € and it is a good book, thank you :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Big catch-22 hater checking in, book is not for me. It's the "Maltese Falcon" of books.

Wät :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Finnegan's Wake like the Finnish classic (which literally no-one has actually read despite claiming otherwise) Alastalon salissa? I quote from Wikipedia (translation my own):

quote:

Alastalon salissa is a story of six hours, during which a group of villagers from Kustavi discuss investing in Herman Mattsson of Alastalo's bark. The most famous episode in the detailing of the meeting, altogether comprising about nine hundred pages, is the choosing of the pipe, wherein the master of Härkäniemi walks to the pipe rack at the back of the hall and chooses the pipe most suiting of his needs. This contemplation and thought processes both related and unrelated to it take about seventy pages worth of text (3. chapter).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

40-Degree Day posted:

Can anyone recommend me some horror books? I've read some Stephen King stuff over the years and never got the "can't sleep after reading" thing people say they from his books. I wanna be unsettled and freaked the gently caress out. Any type of book is cool.

Might be too unsettling but https://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Risk-Michael-Lewis/dp/1324002646

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was looking for something to recommend to chernobyl kinsman while drunk yesterday and none of the books I could think of were available in English. Anglowned!

(Not even the highly amusing comedy answer that first came to mind:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Might've asked this before, but let's try it again: I'm looking for books that capture the feeling of X-COM. Military sci-fi against an incredibly dangerous force, one that might be impossible to defeat. I'll take horror or optimism or both, just - something, anything that captures the feel of the original X-COM game.

You mean a book where the protagonists just go in and set literally everything on fire and then explode the everything that is on fire? Can't think of anything right off the bat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I admit that I have not actually read any of the Chtorr books myself.

I don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced but "Chtorr" makes me think of the "this is how little kids cough" cat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pegnose Pete posted:

Trying to read Marquez's 190 Years of Solitude and really struggling now.

Hot take: it's not good so don't feel bad for just giving up. La mala hora is a much better novel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dirty Frank posted:

Our man in Havana maybe?

Greene is contemporary by a lot of standards but I get the feeling not by the asker's.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Olen Steinhauer

Vai olet sinä Steinhauer?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Connolly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Re: kids' books: has Astrid Lindgren been translated to your language?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A human heart posted:

god almighty is there anything that some clown online won't call depressing. like im sure the children can handle it man, take it easy.

Maybe they're depressing if you have depression? (Of course as a Finn my metric for "depressing Finnish childrens' book" is somewhat skewed by having read "Mr. Huu Moves" as a kid. Everything is "Happy Little Elves" compared to that.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any Russian crime novelists besides Akunin any good? (Nothing supernatural TIA)

E: oh and I don't read Russian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

no it sucks pretty bad

I almost bought it but then I happened to see the film (or possibly the sequel) on TV and yeah nah lol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers.

Or as it is known in some markets, "The Entire Contents of My Boat's Pantry - A novel about condensed milk"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bowser posted:

I'm looking for, uh, "historical fiction" that takes place during or around any of the events of the Bible. I know there's an entire genre of "biblical fiction" but I'm hoping for something that isn't so pushy with religious morals.

Waltari's The Secret of the Kingdom? (Haven't read it yet :newlol:)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 23, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It is pretty pushy with the morals but a fairly good read nonetheless.

Oh, darn, I guess I'll not read it for another 27 years then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: you're dumb

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Its Coke posted:

- Skillfully evocative descriptions that paint a picture

Well I mean:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An Apple A Gay posted:

looking for icelandic/scandinavian dark crime thrillers

Not Iceland but "The Girl in the Ice" by the Hammers?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also Jörn Lier Horst.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LibCrusher posted:

I’m kindling the first book now.

Even if you don't like it you don't have to burn it :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagining a huge “Warning: Child Abuse” sticker on my copy of Maxim Gorky’s My Childhood and LMAOing rn

Sometimes I still think of the line "my mother kept hitting me on the head with a frying pan rather vigorously"*, sometimes I don't.

*) No idea how the line is originally, or in English translations, but that's the gist of it anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd say the Charlie Parker novels but they actually kind of suck.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No :ironicat: big enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

CineD's Movie of the Month is Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love, one of my favorite movies, and it's made me realize that I really don't know the stand-out literary classics that are about unrequited love and/or affairs. So I have two requests for recommendations.

What are some of the best literary classics about unrequited love or people having an affair?

Or, what's a book that is similar to In The Mood For Love?

I'm open to novels, plays, or even a long-form poem.

Maugham's The Painted Veil?

E: I'd also throw in Greene's A Burnt-Out Case but any number of people might not agree.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 18, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Every single classic is about people having affairs. All of them, from start to finish. It's like asking for books in which sad people have a bad time

Murder is not an affair though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think HA ugh he's a real jerk!