Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Ol' Limber Legs posted:

I’m looking for good nonfiction about cults - in general, not a book about a specific cult. Any time/place is fine. Thanks!

This is probably more cult-adjacent than strictly about a cult, but maybe Under the Banner of Heaven by Krakauer? It focuses on a few of the more extreme/fringe offshoots of Mormonism (specifically one that was only a handful of people and lead to a double murder) while giving a sort of crash course on the early history of the Church of Latter-Day Saints so you get context for where the extreme/cult-y fringe groups come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
The Great White South: Being an Account of Experiences with Captain Scott's South Pole Expedition and of the Nature Life of the Antarctic by Herbert Ponting is pretty interesting. He was the official photographer for the Scott expedition and wrote the book about his own experiences, plus there are some excerpts from Scott's diaries at the end to address his doomed expedition (which Ponting was not part of - he stayed at the base camp). Some of his photos are included too and he talks about the challenges of doing photography in Antarctica with the technology available at the time. He gets sort of rich-boy-whiny sometimes and goes on some tangents about his oh-so-incredible-and-very-underappreciated book about Japan (in an obviously 'please also buy my book about my vacation to Japan' way) but it's sort of charming/sad?

You also get some fun (probably exaggerated?) stories about him watching people almost getting eaten by killer whales and things like that.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

BigRed0427 posted:

I just reupped my audible subscription since I'm gonna be making 1 and a half hour car rides part of my normal life now. Any suggestions? I'm up for queer fantasy or victorian horror/adventure/urban fantasy

Queer fantasy with audible books I've listened to myself:
The Raven Tower by Anne Leckie
The Fifth Season (and the rest of the Broken Earth trilogy) by N.K. Jemisin

Queer fantasy books I've read and liked (audible versions exist, but I'm not sure of narrator quality):
The Tensorate series by Neon Yang (looks like audible has books 1-3 available as a single audio book so it's 1 credit instead of 3 - worth mentioning since they're all novellas)
Phoenix Extravagant by Yoon Ha Lee
Witchmark (part of a trilogy) by C.L. Polk
Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
The Traitor Baru Cormorant (and sequels) by Seth Dickinson (a goon!)
Gideon the Ninth (part of a trilogy) by Tamsyn Muir

There's a big thematic/subgenre range among all of these but they are all definitely queer. I also tried to stick to novel-length since you get more listening time for your credit with those than with novellas (but I can probably recommend even more if you're cool with novella-length).