Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Looking to read something about the history of chess. Both on how the game rules were developed and changed, the major figures in its history, and how strategy progressed over the centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Consider asking in the chess thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

Also there is a reddit sub r/chessbooks that might be a good place to ask

Thanks - I hadn't thought of coming at this from the other angle somehow (lol).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a few requests which might seem all over the place.

As I get older I feel like I enjoy fantasy less and less. The last fantasy series I enjoyed was the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercombie and before/during/after that (lol), A Song of Ice and Fire. I just decided to try Wheel of Time and literally put it down after the prologue in the first book - I just don't know if I can get into it. So, a) is it worth sticking with WoT and, b) are there other fantasy series I should consider?

I am also finding it hard to get into sci-fi and as a result have read very little recently. I really enjoyed most of the Culture series by Banks and Hyperion by Dan Simmons. But I recently tried Revelation Space which I couldn't get into. It feels like I prefer the super-grand scope of Culture books.

Finally, and maybe as I get older this is what I am really after, I would like some suggestions for something like a thriller or detective/crime story. Authors I have my eye on are James Patterson and Michael Connelly. Can anyone recommend stuff like that? For reference, I read a few Jack Reacher books but they are a little too cheesy/over-the-top for what I am really looking for.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book or two about the Korean War? It's the only major US conflict I've never really delved into. I'm not looking for solely a blow-by-blow account; I'd really like to read about the political decision-making, the Army's unpreparedness and overconfidence, foolish decisions that brought China into the war, the debate over deploying nuclear weapons, etc. Thanks.

Bumping this because I am actually interested in books like but for any wars.