Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
anybody got any recommendations for non fiction about Mexican drug cartels? Investigative journalism, memoir, anything really. I'm curious both as a voyeur interested in the grizzlier aspects of the business and as an amateur anthropologist/student of culture. I guess I want something that'll either scratch my itch for the grim or give me insights into the cartel's effects on Mexican government/military/police. But really, almost anything will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks for this. Bought it and am reading it. It looks great!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So all this talk of westerns dovetails with something I've been looking for. I just finished up Shadow by K. J. Parker and while I'm planning on finishing up the Scavenger trilogy, I want to step away from the detached tone of Parker's work. But there are some particular elements that I'm looking for in a recommendation.

Shadow has an amnesiac protagonist who, in order to discover his sorted past, starts a kind of nomadic and aimless journey. Along the way he picks up details about his history, and while that mystery in and of itself interests me, it's not what I'm looking for. What I'm after is a sort of episodic series of incidents. Think wanderer, series of vignettes, that sort of thing. Bonus points if the places the protagonist visits are given particular focus and character... I want to get a strong sense of the qualities that sum up each stop on the protagonist's journey. So what we've got is like a wandering Samurai thing, or a western, or whatever. I'm not even picky about genre. I just love the aesthetic of a wandering individual impacting the places he/she visits with focus given to the character and uniqueness of those places. I don't care about the tone of the work so much as the structure, if that makes sense.

Red Country by Abercrombie and Bridge of Birds by Hughart have a little of this baked in, and I know Bridge is a favorite around here, but I've read both of those already.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Hey guys I really want to read exciting books about spies in Nazi-occupied territory during WW2! I love tense and exciting stuff like that scene in the bar during Inglourious Basterds. Actually, all of that movie.

Recommend me a fiction and a non-fiction book? That way I can get a dose of the thrilling-but-not-realistic, along with the actual history.

Declare by Tim Powers has some of what you're looking for, but it's got major fantasy overtones too, so as long as you're okay with that I would highly recommend it. Powers' shtick is that he takes unanswered questions in history and gives them fantastical answers via the supernatural. This particular book takes place over a few decades, but the first couple segments are based in and around WWII. The very first is a prolonged cat-and-mouse game in Nazi occupied France, and the fantasy elements are seriously downplayed for that segment. It gets crazier later on, but it's great. I can't speak to other espionage fiction. Not really in my wheelhouse. Hopefully that helps though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons. I'm looking for educational works on the fundamentals of journalism. I'm specifically after anything focusing on interview technique and research methodologies. I think I'm a pretty good researcher already, but a buddy and I are working on a podcast that will require a lot of people finding and interviewing, so any foundational texts that might help me self teach would be real helpful. Bonus points for both educational and entertaining, but I'm not real picky. Thanks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Something along a similar line might be American Rust by Philipp Meyer. I am not from the rust belt but I am reading it. It's mostly accessible and begs to be discussed. Though I don't know if it's too politically loaded. Never done botm here so I am not sure if that's not encouraged.

It's fiction, but the subject matter could generate that sort of talk.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been making a conscious effort to pick more upbeat titles recently

The current selection being perhaps the most obvious example possible

Ah yes then may I recommend my other current read? Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty?

In all seriousness that's commendable. We definitely need more of that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Art is truth
Life is poo poo
Art reminds us of this

Warranted or not, you are my favorite person right now, fellow bleak literature buddy.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'll second Shogun and The Magus for sure. Actually found out about Magus through this very thread several years ago,.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hold the presses

BotM found

https://www.amazon.com.au/Forbidden-Thoughts-Milo-Yiannopoulos-ebook/dp/B01N5LU9C4

Milo Yiannopoulos
Vox Day
John C Wright
Brad Torgerson
Larry Correia

Well two people think it's good. They are the bravest two among us.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I just finished reading Warlock and Butcher's Crossing in quick succession. Any other cynical Western novels y'all can recommend? I'll get around to Blood Meridian eventually, but not just now, FYI.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

AARP LARPer posted:

Those are both great novels -- I loved them both. Thought that Butcher's Crossing was the "Walden" take on the western and I found Blood Meridian to be the "Apocalypse Now" of westerns, when you get around to that one.

Along similar lines....

The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark
The Searchers by Alan Le May

The Law at Randado by Elmore Leonard is pretty loving bleak too.

Ox Bow Incident looks like exactly what I'm after. I was recommended In The Rogue Blood and Angle of Repose as well. Anyone have thoughts on these?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just got laid off. I’m wondering if there are any actually good books about determining a career path besides What Color Is Your Parachute. I’d really like to avoid corny self-helpy bullshit, and an author that can clearly explain how to figure out a way to find a job that doesn’t make you want to play in traffic. I find myself at a career crossroads and am fortunate enough to have a little less pressure in determining my next move, so anything that could help me organize my thoughts to that end would be really helpful.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I just finished Day of The Jackal and loved it.

Anything in a similar vein?

To be more specific, I really loved how meticulous the basics of procedure were described. Everything from rifle construction to getting a fake passport to choosing a sniper’s nest were detailed so exquisitely that you had no choice to believe it. It grounded the fiction in a way less plausible thrillers just can’t manage.

Assassin stuff would be ideal, but any kind of intricate planning with excruciating detail given to the smallest elements would probably do the trick.

I didn’t like The Martian, but that kind of high degree of competency is what Day of The Jackal did, and so much better.

To draw another comparison if it helps... anyone who ever watched Mike do any ordinary thing in Better Call Saul knows exactly what I’m looking for.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Cool. Thanks. I had a feeling. How’s Dogs of War? I’m far less interested in his modern output because it seems maybe he went all brexit lunatic in his later years? Nervous about weird paranoid political poo poo sneaking its way into my books. If that’s not an issue, then so be it and I’ll check them out. But Dogs seems interested in weird colonial exploitation poo poo, which is super my jam because it intersects with a writing project I’m workin on thematically.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh yeah I read a bunch of Stark/Westlake poo poo some years back, but the formula wore itself out pretty quick. I tried some of le Carre’s work, but found it painfully drab. Though, I’m thinking fresh off of Jackal and in a totally different headspace I’d probably have a different experience.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll do Dogs and give le Carre another shot.

Where to start with le Carre always seems to be a point of contention though.

What do the different entry points have to recommend them?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Read The Passage and did not enjoy it. I can't remember why i dropped it because it's been like eight years. Thanks for the additional recommendations though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Where would one go next with Ishiguro after Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nonfiction:

https://www.amazon.com/Moonwalking-Einstein-Science-Remembering-Everything/dp/0143120530

A journalist covered the International Memory Tournament one year, spent a year training, came back the next year and won it.

Will second this. It’ll also teach you a thing or two in the process. Great book.