Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I've been on a war kick lately.

Is 1776 by David McCollough a solid choice on the American Revolutionary War? I prefer something as realistic and factual as possible, some honest criticism of America wouldn't hurt, and I want to steer clear of propaganda and liberal tropes. I guess I'm just a little suspicious of the book's popularity is all.

(I also happen to watching the HBO series John Adams based on the same author and I find it mostly good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you'll accept podcast recs instead of a book, the Revolutions podcast by Mike Duncan covered the Revolutionary War (USA) in really neat detail.

Podcasts work for me, thanks!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

this is a long shot, but is anyone aware of a good book (very preferably written within the last few years) that analyzes demographic change in America and generational differences?

a couple of examples that I almost bought:
Philip Bump - The Aftershock: The Last Days of the Baby Boom and the Future of Power in America
Jean Twenge - Generations

those two books almost sound perfect but Bump's book doesn't have stellar reviews and Twenge wrote a book about millennials called 'The Narcissism Epidemic'. I worry about any author that writes so sensationally with an agenda. I prefer something bordering on academic (but not quite). I might buy Bump's book and simply hope a bunch of dummies are mad at it.