Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Any good fun sci-fi or military fiction with a woman protagonist? I'm travelling next week and need some light beach reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

tuyop posted:

The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (I have no idea if the protagonist is a woman. There isn’t any gender in the narrative language other than female pronouns)
2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
Several of the Expanse perspective characters are women.

The Ancillary series and the Expanse series are great. Will look at Light Brigade and 2312

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Best thing in the past few years is Murderbot (start with "All Systems Red") but Murderbot is gender-indeterminate android. Female author though.

Murderbot was fun as hell. Looking to get the second book soon.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

nadav posted:

This is broad, but does anyone have recommendations for learning about (20th century) Chinese politics/culture?

Check out Richard MacGregor's books on the Chinese Communist Party or it's foreign relations. He takes the party's internal politics and diplomacy seriously and he's a reputable source.

This isn't a book, but the three part documentary China: A Century of Revolution is a good overview.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
It's been very difficult to find anything or record that I read an exact edition of a book, and the search results are giving me more languages can't read

Is there some other book website people are moving to these days? I used to spend so much time on Goodreads and now it's been steadily getting worse