Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Have you read Bridge of Birds? Most uplifting fantasy there is.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
The Ego Tunnel by Thomas Metzinger is a good philosophical take on the brain science stuff.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Sarern posted:

Rainbow Six is off-the-rails insane and I still have a copy somewhere for that reason. I think that is the most recent Clancy book I actually kept.

Maybe it seemed more plausible at the time, but the antagonists are a conspiracy of radical environmentalists trying to kill almost all of humankind with an engineered virus. It's a 90s conservative's fever dream.

A screwup at a Chinese lab releasing a seriously annoying but not species ending virus wouldn't have provided compelling shoot-people-in-the-face action.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Books covering the fall of the Soviet Union? Preferably from the perspective of the Soviets? Fiction or non-fiction.

Declare.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

cosmin posted:

Later edit: didn’t Stephenson had a book centered on linguistics or intepreting an old language? I’d like something like that but I can’t find it

Anathem and the time isolated monks who preserved knowledge across ages?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished the movie Final Countdown, and was miffed by the ending.

Are there any good time-traveling military novels? Air carriers are the best, but I'll take any naval vessals or cool planes time traveling and messing with history. Or sci-fi, I'll take sci-fi too! I just want displaced military men being confounded by everything.

Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham and its sequels.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Captain Monkey posted:

Seconded. Some of the downtimers are kinda skeevy, especially at first, but its called out and commented on rather than being all 'WHEN MEN WERE MEN'.

I could never decide which side he was satirizing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

ahobday posted:

I’m looking for novels with very competent protagonists who can do no wrong. Some examples:

Jack Reacher
The Kingkiller Chronicles
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

I’m not sure if Jack Reacher is considered well-written, but all of the similar “ex-military badass” books that I’ve tried have been absolutely terrible, so I’ll make clear that I’m looking for competent writers.

John Rain series by Barry Eisler, especially the first few set in Tokyo.