Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been wanting to learn more about magical realism and what it "is" in literature. The big name I keep hearing is Gabriel García Márquez; one of my colleagues recommended Italo Calvino as well. Are there any specific books of theirs or anybody else that particularly stand out or are good starting points? Would the Jeff Noon and Haruki Murakami books mentioned earlier be good starting points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just finished Cities of the Red Night and I'm looking for more stuff like it. Not so much the ejaculation during hanging or the complete mess of the last part, but I like some of the concepts behind the way the story was told. For instance, in the first part of the book it seemed like the plot moved through different characters as opposed to the characters moving through plot elements (if that makes any sense). I also dug the surreality of it, which reminded me of Robert Anton Wilson or David Lynch or Grant Morrison (although I'm sure they were influenced by Burroughs).

So what's some more good Burroughs or weird surreal mind-bendy sci-fi beat fiction? Is Naked Lunch the classic I've heard it is?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

timeandtide posted:

Cities of Red Night is the first of a trilogy, actually. The Place of Dead Roads is the second book and The Western Land is the third one.
I'd already heard about that, but I guess what I was wondering was whether or not I should check out Burroughs' earlier work before trying to get into those two, given how little sense much of Cities of the Red Night made to me.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

This popped in my head after a post I just wrote in CineD. This may be more of a CC question, but I'm going for it... Are there any books out there that teach aspiring storytellers how to work themes, motifs, and symbols into their stories? Not books on finding them in existing works—like How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster, which I loved but isn't what I'm looking for—but books on how to enrich one's own fiction with such things. I know it's really a fundamental part of writing, but in all the books on writing I've seen, I've never really seen anything that hit this idea hard.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I'm writing a piece on the 13th Warrior/Eaters of the Dead, and in order to write credibly I need to get an education on Beowulf. Can anyone recommend one particular way to go about this over any other? I'd especially like to read good translations of the legend or even books about the legend. Anything with extant Kindle editions—including Project Gutenberg—would be a plus, since the bookstores and libraries around here have pretty slim pickings.

EDIT: Also, I'm cheap, so there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Quidnose posted:

Are you specifically looking at avoiding reading the legend itself due to time constraints? I'm fairly certain this was the version of the tale I read in middle school, and I'm sure it'd be a quick read to get the basics now:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19181.Beowulf?auto_login_attempted=true

Six dollars on Kindle via Amazon.

I can't help with good translations if you want the full text, though, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Radio! posted:

This is the translation I've always seen recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Verse...f+seamus+heaney

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The seminal critical essay about Beowulf is actually by J.R.R. Tolkien and it is here: Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics

He was famous for this in academic circles long before he wrote LOTR.
This all helped, so thank you all. I wrote a piece on The 13th Warrior—the Antonio Banderas film—which necessitated reading Michael Crichton's book, which then necessitated reading the original epic poem and at least some criticism thereof. If anyone's interested, here's the final result!