Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Two requests:

Historical fiction, based on the pioneer life, or settling of the west. No westerns, or crime, etc. Mostly based around hardships and the actual move. I'm reading Giants in the Earth now, and this is exactly what I want, so I'd like to add something in the queue when I'm done.

Second request is something along the lines of Bukowski. Not his poems, but rather his stories. I love the down and out Chinaski who never seems to get a break, but makes the best of it by drinking himself stupid and picking up ugly chicks for a night or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm looking for a book, or a series of books that I don't know the name of, or the author.

The book appeared to be about many people, and their stories. I want to say it was set in France, maybe even Paris. It appeared the author was attempting to write a really complex collection of characters and put them in a book, or maybe multiple books. I don't think it was a modern author, but I may be wrong.

I'm kicking myself for not buying it, when I went back it was sold. I want to say that the reason I didn't get it was because it was the second volume or maybe I was just overwhelmed with the fact that I had War & Peace staring at me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

Is it Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar?

Edit: I'm stupid, it's In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust.

It may have been Proust, but the book itself was a quite small paperback. Around 200-300 pages, in a smaller format. That entire Proust series is made up of huge volumes.

It does look tempting to dive into, though. Oh god.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 23, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ShutteredIn posted:

It could have been a Zola Les Rougon-Macquart book, there are 20 of those that are all sort of related: http://www.amazon.com/Fortune-Rougons-Oxford-Classics-ebook/dp/B0090K58V2/ref=la_B000AQ092I_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382641255&sr=1-6

This is it. Wow, thank you so much! My reading list probably extends beyond my life time at this point.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished "Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets" and "Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member". I found both to be incredibly immersive. I read them straight through.

Any other recommendations that are just completely engrossing? 80s and beyond in particular.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 15, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BrosephofArimathea posted:

On the offchance you havent read them, David Simon's Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets and The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood are both engrossing and depressing - especially the latter, which went on to become a 7 part series for HBO and then the foundation for the best television series of all time, The Wire.

I was digging through my wife's books and found The Corner.

I've been wanting to watch The Wire since forever. If I read this, is that show going to be spoiled by it at all? It looks really interesting.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fellwenner posted:

I'd like some recommendations for poetry. I cannot get into it, but I'd really like to be able to at some point. Every year I make this promise to myself and break it.

Bukowski is pretty easy to get into.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I read Anna Karenina on a whim about 5 years ago. I burned through it because it had everything. Literally everything. I decided maybe I was missing out on the whole Russian lit thing, and read Crime and Punishment. I found it to be good, but not great. I moved on to War & Peace. I've tried reading this about 6 times since. I just cannot get into it, and it feels like it was written by someone else entirely. It's dry. I've made it maybe 250 pages in at the most. It feels like I'm reading a history book instead of a fantastic novel that has emotions, characters you cheer for and hate, social arguments that feel like actual conversations, on and on. Basically, I am looking for something as great as AK. This might be too big of an ask. How about just half as great? Keep slogging through W&P?

Anyone?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

To that end, if you've got a good novel about the Vietnam war, hit me up too.

I remember reading "FNG" in high school and thought it was amazing. For some reason, I was obsessed with the Vietnam war. This was before the Gulf War, so I probably was just ignorant of the cost. Amazon reviews seem to say it is indeed a good book.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think he mentioned The Mist was written when he was feeling a but Lovecrafty. It's by far my favorite King story, and the movie they made on it was pretty good despite the overly hamfisted religious woman they could have just cut out entirely.