Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Still in love with fiction about how much the American dream sucks.

Looking for stuff like The Appointment in Samarra, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Theodore Dreiser, Revolutionary Road, or Generation X by Coupland. poo poo, if you gave me stuff like Generation X I'd love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

delicious beef posted:

Fitzgerald me please. I've just finished reading The Diamond as Big as the Ritz (the short story collection), I'd like to try some of his novels. What's good/bad/indifferent?

The Beautiful and Damned is wholly mediocre, stay away from that one.

This Side of Paradise and The Great Gatsby are definitely the ones worth reading.

If you like Fitzgerald, make sure to jump ahead 30 years for John O'Hara too.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lackadaisical posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for books like Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar? I liked the old time feel of her writing and the poetic rhythm of it.

Look into Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion. It's pretty similar thematically.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ShutteredIn posted:

The Day of the Locust is pretty much the quintessential Hollywood story of people fleeing their old lives to pursue dreams (and failing miserably).

Their Dogs Came with Them by Helena Maria Viramontes is a great read that's a really interesting depiction of latino life in '60s LA.

You're also going to want to check out Ask the Dust by John Fante.

spouse posted:

Where do I start with Charles Bukowski?

For his prose, check out Post Office and my favorite, Ham On Rye.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Look! A Horse! posted:

I like Richard Yates. who should I reaD?

John O'Hara -- Appointment in Samarra.

Also look into Cheever's short stories.

(Assuming it was Revolutionary Road you liked)

Also check out the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Appointment in Samarra is fantastic, as is Cheever.

I've always been curious about Gray Flannel Suit. Have to check that out.

It's worth a read. It's no Revolutionary Road but it's got a couple of similar themes.

Oh poo poo, also, if you want it from the other side, check out The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe. It's a weird look at what life was like for career women in the 1950s.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Bob A Feet posted:

Can someone recommend me another Vonnegut book to read?

I've read Slaughterhouse Five about three times, Breakfast of Champions once, and Cat's Cradle once. I'm going to reread the last two again but I want another one to move on to!

Check out Sirens of Titan.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Opium Jellyfish posted:

I've been looking for a certain kind of book for a while now, with no luck. I'm basically looking for a book about assholes/unlikable and unsympathetic main characters. Curb Your Enthusiasm, but in book form. Catcher in the Rye, but less of a downer. It's gotta have humor too, like sarcastic, sardonic, anti-humor type humor. In short, books about horrible people.

Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I work a stressful job. One of the things that's helped me calm down is just books about every day life.

Got any books about every day life? Sci fi, fantasy, whatever.

Things I've enjoyed:

Nathan Lowell's work - Quarter Share and Ravenwood series

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

And lately, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.

Not the best taste but I could use more poo poo like it.

Also, if there's anything like The Cyberiad, I'd love more like it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2015

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

LegalPad posted:

I'm looking for some lighthearted fantasy fiction as a pallete cleanser for all of the complex political stuff I've been reading lately.
Like, if it could be a literal JRPG in novel form that would be great.

There's a weird genre out of Russia right now called LitRPG where they write about people playing MMOs. No depth whatever. Lots of powers and unique poo poo. They're garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Oh man. Let's see. Try "AlterWorld" by D. Rus. Such garbage.

He gets chosen by a dark god and unlocks power after power and more people in Russia upload themselves into the game so they can be in his clan. Not kidding.