Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kestral posted:

I'm looking for some speculative fiction in which people or humanity as a whole confronts the profoundly, nigh-incomprehensibly alien and tries to understand it.

I just recently read and enjoyed Stanislaw Lem's Solaris, which fits that description perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Regicide posted:

I want a book, obviously... genre, author, fiction, non-fiction, everything but the type of story is irrelevant. The only thing that matters to be me that it is generally about a character who has everything going for him and because of something he did (or even BETTER, what I really want... something he THINKS he did that he convinces himself is so bad and he just goes away and everybody around him who cares about him is left wondering and worrying) loses it all and is alone and left with nothing. I'm not really interested in whether or not he gains it all back.

That's the best way I could describe the type of book I am looking for. Is that way too specific, or do y'all got something I could read? :)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but you could try Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. A rich, succesful bond trader's life pretty much falls apart after an incident where he accidentally strikes an inner city youth with his car.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I just finished The Lost City of Z and really enjoyed the parts about Victorian-era England, specifically some of the crazy inventors and other eccentric figures like Sir Francis Galton or Helena Blavatsky. Anyone have suggestions for further reading along those lines? Either biographies of specific people or more general books on Victorian life would be great.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

inktvis posted:

Have you already come across Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians? It's a not particularly flattering reconsideration of four big public figures of the Victorian age, published at the end of WWI.

That's perfect, thanks for the recommendation!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I've read a lot of really serious books lately and need something light and humorous. I've heard great things about P.G. Wodehouse but haven't read anything of his yet, any suggestions on where to start?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Quantumfate posted:

First: light reading (want to stress light and easy), as long as it's enjoyable and good. From high adventure and fantasy, to sci-fi, to more serious fiction. I would like it to be fiction though, preferably ~300 pages as a cap. so like 350 is fine, but yeah, ~300 pages.

Second: and a bit contrary to the first, I've just recently re-read siddhartha and behold the man, would be interested in more books like those.

For light reading, you can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.

For something that fits both of your requests, try Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's sort of like Siddhartha... IN SPACE.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

inktvis posted:

I hear they're writing books in languages other than English now. I wonder what they're like?

What do you mean? There are at least two books on that list that are translated from other languages, and since it's a list of books available in English I'm not sure what else you were expecting.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

Childhood's End

Definitely this. I read a ton of his books when I was younger, but Childhood's End is probably my favorite. I also really liked Rendezvous with Rama.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Parker Lewis posted:

I've seen a few different series mentioned in TBB: A Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan, Chalion, Wheel of Time, Black Company, Dragonriders of Pern, First Law, etc. and I'm trying to figure out how to tackle them.

I just started the First Law and I'm really loving it so far. Really great swords and sorcery type fantasy that doesn't take itself too seriously, probably a good place to start since it's fairly light and quick reading. I've also read and enjoyed the first Malazan book, but that's a lot more dense and doesn't have as much humor.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for some 'classics' which are also short.

Here's a couple more that I read and enjoyed this year.

Hunger - Knut Hamsun
Notes From Underground - Dostoevsky
The Awakening - Kate Chopin

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I recommend this Lovecraft collection, The Road to Madness: http://www.amazon.com/Road-Madness-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/0345384229/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290011299&sr=8-4. It's got "At the Mountains of Madness", which like ShutteredIn said is probably one of his best, but also contains a lot of other good short fiction.

I've also got this one, The Best of H.P. Lovecraft, which I recommend too: http://www.amazon.com/Best-H-P-Lovecraft-Bloodcurdling/dp/0345350804/ref=pd_sim_b_2. It contains "The Call of Cthulhu", "The Dunwich Horror", and a bunch of others that are good too.

I haven't read all of Lovecraft's work, but from my experience I'd recommend sticking to the short stories, the novels aren't nearly as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

Or you can check out some much, much higher quality Mythos stories in this volume, though it is a bit pricey.

This looks awesome, but I can't bring myself to spend $50 on a single book.