Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AberrantBassist
Aug 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
I'm looking for really unique books that are borderline experimental. I love John Zorn when it comes to music and that atonal stuff that no one really listens to, and I'd love to find a John Zorn of fiction. I've read 'House of Leaves' and 'Only Revolutions' and I thought they were amazing. I've gone to http://www.bookarmy.com and I've searched Amazon and while they can recommend me 'similar' authors they're not similar in the a prose/experimental sense.

Does anyone know of any experimental authors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AberrantBassist
Aug 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
I know this might seem vague, and it's really meant to be. I'm really looking for any book that deals with this subject matter for research for a book that I'm writing just so I can get a solid idea.

I'm looking for a book where the main character does something destructive to his/her body to forget a painful even in his/her own life.

For example, I'm not sure what the title of the Stephen King story is, but he has a story where a girl loses a child so she runs. At first she runs so much that she damages her body. She bleeds, vomits, gets sore, etc...

I'm sure there's a plethora of stories like this out there, though I can find the Stephen King one with Google. Any quality stories would help. :)

AberrantBassist
Aug 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl

reflir posted:

You need to watch Pi by Darren Aronofsky.

I've read Invisible Monsters, and I have seen Pi. Invisible Monsters is a good example, but Pi is not. I'm looking for a story more along the lines that a good chunk of the story is the character torturing themselves. Not like in Pi where the character ends it all in a 3 second time span.