Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
Does anyone know of a good, comprehensive book on Alan Lomax? At its best, it would cover both his folklorist and ethnomusicological pursuits as well as biographical details. Or alternatively, two separate books -- one on his musicological pursuits and one for biography -- that are detailed would be fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
Anyone?

Did That on Television posted:

Does anyone know of a good, comprehensive book on Alan Lomax? At its best, it would cover both his folklorist and ethnomusicological pursuits as well as biographical details. Or alternatively, two separate books -- one on his musicological pursuits and one for biography -- that are detailed would be fine too.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

Did That on Television posted:

Not that I imagine anyone cares, but it appears a biography of Lomax -- apparently the first ever -- was published yesterday! It's called The Man The Recorded The World by John Zwed, a professor of anthropology, music and African-American studies who had worked with Lomax himself for ten years. That should be an interesting read... too bad it does not appear available anywhere yet. :(

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
I don't know why everyone keeps recommending Russell's history of Western philosophy. The man obviously had an axe to grind with respect to the discipline's history. I personally think it would be much more worthwhile to pick up an anthology of primary sources -- say, something like The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant, edited by Stanley Rosen, for example.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
Does anyone have a good books on "riding the rails" in North America? I suppose I'm looking more for a book that discusses this phenomenon culturally -- how it was done for pleasure as well as in order to begin life anew elsewhere -- but also works in personal experiences of people who've done it, too. I guess something "scholarly" maybe is what I'm looking for, but I'm not wholly sure. I would also not object to TV or film documentaries that do much the same.

Edit: Obviously the above implies it should be a non-fiction book. To be sure, I would not object to a fiction book that manages to express the culture surrounding "riding the rails" and the personal experiences thereof.

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 5, 2010

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

There was a recent PBS doc about people riding the rails during the Great Depression. Sounds up your alley:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/rails/

There's a further reading link on the site with a bunch of related books.

Awesome, this is the exact sort of thing I'm looking for! Thanks a lot.

If anyone knows some good ones that deal with this practice within Canada, I'd appreciate that too...

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

dokmo posted:

Google "On to Ottawa Trek". Also, this site seems to have a lot of references that may interest you.

I actually just read an introduction to Canadian labour history which mentioned that journey to Ottawa, albeit only in passing and not by that name.

The link you provided looks really interesting, and might even be available in the Halifax library system too! Thanks a lot for these suggestions too. :)

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
I'm looking for a book on the history of music as well, although I'm more interested currently in the development of recording technologies. I'd even be fine with academic journal articles that discuss this, as I've got access if you've got sources. It would need to be something relatively non-technical though as I am not an audio engineer nor am I someone who plays or reads music. I'm just an interested music-listener who likes cultural history!

edit: My library has A Century of Recorded Music: Listening to Musical History by Timothy Day (published 2000), which is described -- no doubt by copy -- as: "[. . .] the first thorough exploration of the impact of recording technology on the art of music. Timothy Day chronicles the developments in recording technology since its inception and describes the powerful effects it has had on artistic performance, audience participation, and listening habits. He offers a fascinating comparison of the characteristics of musical life a century ago with those of today."

Upon reading the three Amazon.ca reviews for the book, however, it appears that it is not primarily concerned with the evolution of recording technology and its effects on recorded music in general per se, but rather with its influence upon "Western art music" [that, I am told, is the truly generic term for 'classical music' which is itself a style thereof] in particular. Can anyone shed some light of this? If the latter is the case, it's not what I'm looking for... and I hope what I am looking for is clear, haha.

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Does anyone have a good history book on 20th century music? That seems really general, but I'm looking for broad overview how punk became post-punk and where genres like dream pop started.

Depending on how superficial you want it, you could read some of the articles on allmusic's website that deal with punk rock and its various subsequent varieties. These ones seemed to be what you're looking for:

"American Punk Rock" by Richie Unterberger
"American Alternative Rock / Post-Punk" by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
"British Punk" by Richie Unterberger
"Post-Punk" by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
"Punk Music" by John Dougan
"Roots of Punk" by Richie Unterberger

The downside is that none of them have bibliographies or suggest further reading. I find that annoying but you may not mind if you're not looking for something terribly academic.

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2010

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

I'm looking for a few good books about Canada's history. General overviews, specific eras/events, biographies of important people, anything really. Preferably not textbooks, I'd prefer least slightly engaging writing, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks in advance.

I read An Introduction to Canadian Labour History by Craig Heron and it was quite good! I am ignorant of Canadian history in general, actually, and I have a nascent interest in labour history, so I figured I should understand Canada's labour history. Heron does a good job showing how our labour movement is not really very much like the one in the U.S. at all (e.g. it's nowhere near as centralised nor effective, really) and explores various events which have come to shape what we've got today. He's a Marxist historian too (as I guess you'd expect for a labour historian) so there's a lot of delicious bits on class struggle and whatnot too. It also includes a fabulous bibliography organised by era for further reading! I highly recommend it if you're at all interested and ignorant as I was, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

Were you thinking of The Canadian Labour Movement: A Short History? That's the only similar one I can find by him. Either way, it's a good suggestion, thanks. Given my general leanings I should probably be more familiar with labour history in the country beyond the bigger events like the Winnipeg strike and the Ottawa trek.

Oops, yeah, that's the one I meant. It's really good, and incorporates feminist concerns as well as those of minorities very well for an introductory text!