Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Merou posted:

I don't really know what genre what I'm looking for falls under. Its sort of introspective and hosed up. I'm looking for books similar to The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq, or The Stranger by Albert Camus, or to an extent American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

I've read everything by the last 2 authors, but not the first as I find Houellebecq's stuff to be a little too far into the lets talk about my boner spectrum.

Does anyone know what I mean?

Introspective and hosed up: Try The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato, and maybe Farabeuf by Salvador Elizondo.
Introspective and self-lacerating: Youth by J.M. Coetzee and Season of Migration to the North by Tayib Salih.
Introspective and just plain mean: The Loser or Old Masters by Thomas Bernhard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Philthy posted:

Two requests:

Historical fiction, based on the pioneer life, or settling of the west. No westerns, or crime, etc. Mostly based around hardships and the actual move. I'm reading Giants in the Earth now, and this is exactly what I want, so I'd like to add something in the queue when I'm done.

You should look at the rest of Rolvaag's trilogy to see if you like it.

Also, O Pioneers!, My Antonia, and The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather; Angle of Repose and Wolf Willow by Wallace Stegner. For the Dust Bowl period, you could look at The Bones of Plenty by Lois Hudson. Peace Shall Destroy Many by Rudy Wiebe is set on the Canadian prairie during World War II, but it is about Mennonites, and preserves the grittiness that you'd associate with pioneer-type novels.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Supreme Allah posted:

Wilderness survival stories or books?

A friend was telling me a while back about this book written by a guy who went on a skiing trip with a buddy, and they ended up getting caught in an avalanche and had to survive on their own. The story sounded really interesting - apparently one of the guys had to leave his friend behind when he got hurt, or drama along those lines.

I'm not looking for that specific book or story; I am looking for books in that spirit - especially survival in the desert or at sea, but anything that involves the basic idea of people stranded or lost and having to fend for themselves or survive in harsh conditions.

Non fiction is always best, but fiction is OK too as long as it is realistic and written well

You could try Endurance by Alfred Lansing, or Young Men and Fire by Norman MacLean.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

LooseChanj posted:

America sucks because you're...
I've already got:
Black=Native Son, Richard Wright
A poor immigrant=The Jungle, Upton Sinclair (I think, feel free to correct me)

Looking more in the way of fiction.

You're going for social(ist) realism or naturalism here, a great deal of which chronicles the upheavals of modernity.

Sucks to be a poor immigrant, non-fiction version: How the Other Half Lives
Sucks to be Black: Blood on the Forge
Sucks to be working class: U.S.A. Trilogy
Sucks to be an Okie: The Grapes of Wrath
Sucks to be in a small town: Main Street
Sucks to be old rich: The Magnificent Ambersons

etc.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

CloseFriend posted:

I've been wanting to learn more about magical realism and what it "is" in literature. The big name I keep hearing is Gabriel García Márquez; one of my colleagues recommended Italo Calvino as well. Are there any specific books of theirs or anybody else that particularly stand out or are good starting points? Would the Jeff Noon and Haruki Murakami books mentioned earlier be good starting points?

Magic realism is often associated with the Latin American Boom" If that's your interest, you could check out A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, or work by Isabel Allende, Julio Cortazar, or Asturias' Men of Maize. If you're willing to branch out, I'd also recommend Midnight's Children or The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie.

I'd add, in case you don't like it, that it's OK not to like it.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY posted:

A friend of mine recently had stroke (at the age of 24). She had surgery last week and is bed ridden for a month.. I would really like to buy her a book that she will enjoy. The main problem is that she is one of the smartest people I know and I have no idea what book to get her... Here are a few of her favorite books and authors:

Madame Bovary, Flaubert
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers
The Trial, Kafka
Ex Libris, P.K. Page
An Adoradtion, Nancy Huston
Beasts by Joyce Carol Oates
On Beauty and White Teeth and Autograph Man, all Zadie Smith

Just wondering if anybody could offer some suggestions?

Since she's going to be laid up for awhile, get The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.

I'm not really qualified to recommend good analogs to the more recent stuff, since I dislike most of the newer material on her list. However, where older stuff is concerned, you might consider some of the following: Sentimental Education by Flaubert; Daniel Deronda by George Elliot; or Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship by Goethe.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

TraderStav posted:

I'm looking for some good books that tackle Union Negotiations. Historical stories of successful or failed ones, business-school primers on the topic, fiction, etc. Anything that can help me get more situational awareness on the topic. My end goal is to help provide some strategic insight into my company COOs approach to his Union strategy.

I know this is likely a tough request, but if a goon can't fill it, no one can! Thanks!

Instead, how about you don't participate in union-busting?

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Hello Pity posted:

Are any of the other authors who worked on the Wire worth investigating?

David Simons' Homicide is quite good.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Ballsworthy posted:

Looking for some WWI fiction. I just finished Dan Simmons' Lovedeath (one of the best goddamned things I've read all year, btw), and the last novella in it, The Great Lover, got me hungry for more. Already familiar with the Hemingway, and Remarque is next on my list.

Take a look at Ernst Jünger's Storm of Steel and Stratis Myriveles' Life in the Tomb. Dos Passos' U.S.A. Trilogy is not just World War I, but is a lot better than Hemingway in my opinion.

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

ShutteredIn posted:

Not totally sure what you want here, but Donald Barthelme's 60 and 40 Stories collections contain very short surrealist/absurd/post-modern stories that are really easy to get through.

The dude asks for minimalism so you recommend Barthelme? :wtc:

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I believe that BEE cited Play It as It Lays as one of his major influences for Less Than Zero. I'd recommend The Informers, although you may be trying to branch out towards different authors. What I've read so far is similar to Less Than Zero, yet I don't feel it's nearly as good.

Be warned that Play It as It Lays is an almost uniquely unpleasant book to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Tumble posted:

I want some books about psychopaths. People who have NO moral values and the destruction that causes. Oh, also some books about modern-day assassins. If the books combine these two things, even better!

Have a look at Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time and Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho.