Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got recommendations for a history on early Christianity up through Nicaea? Something for a layman? I was reading a little book I got a long time ago about the Gospel of Judas and it's interesting but I recognize as I'm going through that I don't have the background knowledge and contextual tools to really tell how much this author has an axe to grind. I know to some extent this poo poo's unavoidable but the less it strays into apologetics or tryna blow the roof off Christianity just 'cause, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've got some Amazon ebook credit to burn and I wanna read something fun instead of the angry bastard current affairs and history poo poo I normally get into.

Anyone got any good recommendations on like a dark modern magical type story? I wanna read American Gods but might try to find a paperback first. Like magic, political intrigue, noir poo poo, etc? Something that feels maybe in place in a world like Mage: The Awakening?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm reading The Story of Man by Cyril Aydon and it's not bad but it's a bit too cursory. I'm looking for a book that covers the history of humanity from evolution in Africa to at least like the bronze age. That whole length of time is like less than 100 pages in this current book. I'd especially like to know more about the development of political authority centered around production of grain in Sumeria and China. Anything that ticks those boxes well?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 10, 2020

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pale Fire might arguably be better electronically but I find the act of flipping back and forth to be a lot more satisfying than trying to click links.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's a fun book about dwarves, with the obligatory "I've already read The Hobbit"

I don't care if it's a fantasy novel or a big worldbuilding spiel or an academic survey of dwarves from folklore and pop-culture. I just wanna read something cool about dwarves.