Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skynix
Jul 6, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

America sucks because you're...
I've already got:
Black=Native Son, Richard Wright
A poor immigrant=The Jungle, Upton Sinclair (I think, feel free to correct me)

Looking more in the way of fiction.

We had to read The Street in an American history class I took a few semesters ago, and I think it fits that description.

(=black and a woman)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skynix
Jul 6, 2005
I'm looking for a few things:

1. I've been struggling to find pulp that engages me. I used to be really into Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, hell even Star Wars books. As the first two are stalled for the foreseeable future, I've been wanting to find a new series to read *just for fun* when I feel like some light reading, but I've tried Malazan Book of the Fallen, Absolution Gap and now the first Dresden Files book, and none of them have given me that amazing sugar rush kind of feel that really good pulp used to give me. All of them have left me feeling cold--the writing was just a little too cornball to ignore (Dresden Files) or the world/characters felt flat and uninteresting (Malazan, Absolution Gap), something didn't click. This doesn't explain what I want really, I know. I was thinking that something along the lines of Neil Gaiman's work might be better--somewhat literary but clearly a genre book? I guess I'm looking for some combination of "interesting world with unique concepts" and "good writing." I really enjoyed American Gods, and the urban fantasy trope does a lot for me. I was also thinking about Max Berry's Jennifer Government or even Battle Royale as examples of genre books that are a little notch above for me. Alternatively, I also still enjoy Terry Pratchett's work a lot--pulp that doesn't take itself too seriously is nice. Basically, what pulp book would you recommend to someone who doesn't like pulp? Bonus if it's Space Opera or High Fantasy.

2. I'm looking for a book about creative writing or writing creative nonfiction. I've read a book on both now, Building Fiction and Tell It Slant, respectively. I've noticed that there isn't really an agreed on *best book* for either of these, and I was hoping someone could suggest books that they felt were helpful on learning how to construct stories.

3. With that in mind, short story or essay collections that you've enjoyed, specifically literary fiction and not genre fiction. I'm reading Girl with Curious Hair by David Foster Wallace right now, and it's great, but his stories are all so idiosyncratic that it's hard to glean anything useful from them on the art of writing or constructing fiction from them. My library has two editions of The best American Nonrequired Reading, which seems like a good place to start, but I was hoping you guys would have other suggestions.

Thanks!