Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle is an interesting blend of historical fiction (set in the late 15th century) and fantasy fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Acallapani posted:

Can anyone recommend some good "alternative physics" science fiction books? I just made up that genre so maybe nobody has done it well, but something like changing the laws slightly and fully exploring the implications while still having a plot.
Something like Greg Egan's The Clockwork Rocket?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Engine Summer

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'd like recommendations that someone that chose those books would enjoy but aren't exactly more of the same. Something less pure sci fi/fantasy maybe, but not non fiction.
I'll add to the above Italo Calvino if you haven't read him

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Blistex posted:

Looking for some good 1950-1970's science fiction, or some modern stuff that's in the same spirit. I've been googling lists of recommended stuff, and it's usually the same 20 results over and over.
Feel like I have to mention Cordwainer Smith since no one else has yet.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Sounds like Frans G. Bengtsson's The Long Ships

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Conrad_Birdie posted:

In the mood for some literary sci-if short fiction, but written within the last five to ten years. Just want something modern this time. Stuff in the vein of Ursula K Leguin, Octavia Butler, Colson Whitehead.
I'll second Chiang and add: Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck, Not So Much, Said the Cat by Michael Swanwick, M. John Harrison's last two collections (one is mostly newer stuff, the other a selection covering the 70s onward)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Zekky posted:

I'm looking for some new sci-fi recommendations (or weird fiction/sci-fi adjacent literature), anything I might like given that I particularly like the following books?
M. John Harrison (Light is his most science fiction work)
Greg Egan (does conceptual, "hard" sf, especially his short stories)
Michael Swanwick's *Stations of the Tide*

Something less sci-fi: Italo Calvino's Cosmicomics or Invisible Cities

And not sci-fi at all: Gerald Murnane's The Plains

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Are there any books out there where the story lasts for hundreds or thousands of years, following the evolution of a person (maybe immortal?), a tribe, a people, an empire etc....

Where it's about an ever evolving story and history.
Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men

Also Stephen Baxter's Evolution, which like the Tchaikovsky book doesn't follow actual humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Just finished the 3 Body Problem series and I'm looking for more "hard sci fi where characters and plot take a backseat and the cool sci fi concepts/engineering/science are the main star of the show".
Try Greg Egan. Permutation City, Diaspora and Axiomatic are good examples.