Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
This is the general "recommend me a book" thread for The Book Barn, SA's own forum for books and book related activities. Like Reading Rainbow, but for Something Awful.

Have you heard of "book" ? Do you think "Book" might be for you? Have you at some point read a book and think others might want to share in your risque predilections?

If so, join in, throw down! Tell people about books you have liked and/or books you would like to know about or books you think other people might like to know about.

Specific guidelines for people looking for suggestions:
  • Try to be clear about what you're looking for.
  • If it's something specific, say so. If it's a vague direction, say so.
  • Sometimes it's helpful to mention an author or title that you already know you like (i.e., "I liked A Song of Ice and Fire, are there any other good books about tits and dragons?")

Specific guidelines for suggestions:
  • Explain why you think people might like the book -- don't just throw out a title and say "it's awesome", explain why ("I liked the parts with the tits, also the parts with the dragons")
  • Try to recommend something specific, whether it be an author or a book.
  • If you're responding to someone's request, and recommend something they didn't ask for, make sure you say why the person asking for romance might enjoy what appears to be a murder-mystery on the surface.
  • If your recommendation is lengthy, try to do a tl;dr sentence or two at the end.

Specific guidelines for everyone else:
  • If you aren't looking for a book suggestion or giving a book suggestion, why are you in this thread? Think Hard.

This post heavily edited by Hieronymous Alloy on 4/23/2016
Edited Again by Hieronymous Alloy on 9/11/2017

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
America sucks because you're...
I've already got:
Black=Native Son, Richard Wright
A poor immigrant=The Jungle, Upton Sinclair (I think, feel free to correct me)

Looking more in the way of fiction.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Fame Throwa posted:

Okay, which book of Terry Pratchett's should I read next? I decided to start at the very beginning, and I'm half-done with Color of Magic and it is awesome.

I read the discworld series in order and was pretty pleased. The Light Fantastic is pretty much a direct sequel if I recall correctly.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

thecallahan posted:

I'm looking for a treasure hunt style book. Something along the lines of National Treasure but better, it can be either fiction or non-fiction, I just want a fun read. I've heard the Dirk Pitt books are a decent fun read but was looking for a few more options. I'll be getting this for the kindle so I know some of my options will be limited.

I'm reading this right now: The Hunt for Atlantis, and it's so hilariously over the top. Written by a goon too.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Affi posted:

books that you can say you read with a :smug: look on your face.

James Joyce's Ulysses always seems to have that effect on people.