Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«439 »
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I could be wrong, but I always assumed that liquid primer was more in the vein of a liquid putty that you brushed on for things like filling gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 1, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I could be wrong, but I always assumed that liquid primer was more in the vein of a liquid putty that you brushed on for things like filling gaps.

Yeah, thats one recommended use for it. Tamiya also recommends thinning it down and airbrushing it though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Родина слышит

Pillbug

I tried airbrushing Tamiya primer and had an absolutely terrible time of it. It definitely needs to be thinned and thinned a lot.

Symetrique
Jan 1, 2013

Still undecided on how I should proceed with the underside of the wings:

Not sure if I should go with the lower example, or the upper. Reference pics show the wing structure as being pretty clearly defined, so I'm leaning towards the lower. The lower technique would still need some weathering or modulation with oils to make it look less uniform. Eduard also made the rib tapes and stitching really overscale, so I think the thickness of that is also messing with me.

Edit:

Added a reference pic:

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 26, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

Gotta nuke something

Personally I like the top example, but either would work.

Keep in mind the visibility of the wing ribs would depend on several factors. They really stand out in your example pic because they sun is directly above and shining through the canvas on the wings. I bet if you were to look from above, you'd only be able to see the physical bulge of the ribs, and wouldn't see any shadow detail at all.

Symetrique
Jan 1, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Personally I like the top example, but either would work.

Keep in mind the visibility of the wing ribs would depend on several factors. They really stand out in your example pic because they sun is directly above and shining through the canvas on the wings. I bet if you were to look from above, you'd only be able to see the physical bulge of the ribs, and wouldn't see any shadow detail at all.

Thanks for the input. Yeah this is just for the underside of the wings. I was able to find a video of the replica in flight from a wing mounted camera, so it showed how much the light positioning affected the appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzg0zM58is

I think it might be best if I mask off the top example's interior structures and go over them again in a thin dark brown or Tamiya Smoke layer to make the edges a bit more pronounced.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I use Mister Surfacer 500 unthinned for filling gaps, and Vallejo Surface Primer, without thinning, to Prime through an airbrush. I sometimes add some Flow Improver if I'm going to do a large surface/batch.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Anyone know a good way to get rid of fingerprints on clear parts? like window glass in car models? It's sort of impossible to not handle them when you are setting them in place and gluing them in and I always end up getting fingerprints on them that I can't remove with anything I've tried so far.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

As in you got fingerprints on hard-to-clean places once it's all glued in, or you stuck your finger in cement and touched a clear part?

For the former, you could try cutting down a cotton swab and maybe do some strategic bending.

For the latter, really fine sandpaper followed by polishing compound on a soft cloth is about the only way to buff that out. Use less cement if you're getting spillage, or plain old clear-drying glue instead of cement.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Get one of those fiberglass pens! They are amazing for getting rid of excess glue marks and polishing/sanding stuff like fingerprints and PE parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

put tamiya masking tape on your finger tips when handling clear parts to avoid this in the future

«439 »