Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Sprayed on the top colour to the turrets etc. This was a light blue colour as opposed to the normal grey to help shield from aviation.

Masked and sprayed several layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

Gotta nuke something

Notahippie posted:

FYI, the google translate app has automatic text recognition-translation-display. It works better for some languages than others, but it's like a magic mirror where the text in your picture swims and then switches over to english (or whatever). It's amazing.

Another goon suggested the same thing! I thought of that myself when I first saw the plans, but it didn't work to well. The italian is hand written, and in a very unique script, so optical translation wasn't able to really work it out.

Almost done anyways, so it's all good.

SkunkDuster
Jul 15, 2005

Immolat1on posted:

Anyone have tips on how to get solid connections between pieces

I cheat and use Bob Smith two part epoxy. I have no shame.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

oh dear, two goons working on ridiculous but good-looking ship projects at once?

And thanks for the responses, everyone. I should have specified that the parts in question are not clear. They're tan plastic, and the kit calls for small sections to be painted transparent blue for the tank's CITV and vision block glass. Because I am dumb, I needed some time to process the fact that transparent blue isn't really going to work well over bare tan plastic, or over primer for that matter. I could do the gunpla candy-coat style but I'm not sure that's the look I want. The CITV glass will be hidden behind a photoetch screen anyway, but I want to be a big nerd with this one. Currently I'm trying something similar to glossing cockpit canopies - thicker but still flexible clear plastic packaging bits cut down to fit over the specific glass sections, then dipped into Pledge tinted with copious amounts of blue food coloring. The idea is to prime and paint the rest of the part as usual, but put these (if they come out well) between the primered part and the photoetch screen to kind of show through a bit. I also went on a wild lark and grabbed some foil cardboard stock. Might be a bit thick to fit, but it's another option to consider.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

Gotta nuke something

Immolat1on posted:

Exactly the tip I needed, thank you!

Keep at it man, it'll probably turn out great!

I don't think I even posted a pic of mine way back when I bought it along with Queen Anne's Revenge and a Bofors gun. The Bofors pissed me off so much that I probably completely forgot when I moved on to the Apollo Lander.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vorenus posted:

oh dear, two goons working on ridiculous but good-looking ship projects at once?

And thanks for the responses, everyone. I should have specified that the parts in question are not clear. They're tan plastic, and the kit calls for small sections to be painted transparent blue for the tank's CITV and vision block glass. Because I am dumb, I needed some time to process the fact that transparent blue isn't really going to work well over bare tan plastic, or over primer for that matter. I could do the gunpla candy-coat style but I'm not sure that's the look I want. The CITV glass will be hidden behind a photoetch screen anyway, but I want to be a big nerd with this one. Currently I'm trying something similar to glossing cockpit canopies - thicker but still flexible clear plastic packaging bits cut down to fit over the specific glass sections, then dipped into Pledge tinted with copious amounts of blue food coloring. The idea is to prime and paint the rest of the part as usual, but put these (if they come out well) between the primered part and the photoetch screen to kind of show through a bit. I also went on a wild lark and grabbed some foil cardboard stock. Might be a bit thick to fit, but it's another option to consider.
Have you considered just throwing a bit of tinfoil behind it to reflect light back out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Have you considered just throwing a bit of tinfoil behind it to reflect light back out?

I had not, but that's a great idea. I'll compare that to the Future glaze tomorrow once it's finished slooooowly drying.