Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Symetrique posted:

The Paasche talon is a popular budget dual action with users in this thread. The GSI Creos/Mr Hobby airbrushes are produced by the same OEM that Iwata uses, so they're probably the best value right now since you get Iwata quality without the price. I'd recommend starting with one of their .3mm dual actions (PS-289 or PS-274), which usually go for around $100.

The standout Iwata (without a Mr Hobby equivalent) is probably the HP-CS, since it has a less finicky nozzle than most Japanese airbrushes. H&S is also a comparable option.

At like $250 I think you're better off going for one of the ~$100 .3mm airbrushes and saving that extra ~$150 for other supplies (or another more specialized airbrush once you have more experience).
Thanks. I had been looking at some Iwata and H&S models but I hadn’t checked out the Paasche Talon.

I can get a few different size needles and swap them depending on how fine or wide I need the spray, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

If your stash can still fit in one photo then it's not that bad.
Does taking a photo of your entire house still count?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thanks. I had been looking at some Iwata and H&S models but I hadn’t checked out the Paasche Talon.

I can get a few different size needles and swap them depending on how fine or wide I need the spray, correct?

Technically yeah, in practice its much more of a hassle and not something you're likely to do within a painting session. Needles and nozzles are pretty fragile, and the more you mess around with them the more likely you are to eventually damage them.

Iwata/Mr Hobby .3mm's can get very, very fine while still being broad enough for general use. You should definitely avoid needle/nozzle conversion sets that are only a .1mm difference though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

If your stash can still fit in one photo then it's not that bad.

Does a single 360* panorama shot count?

e:f;b

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

My Talon came with a .25, .38, and .66 mm needles/nozzles/caps. There is also a .66 fan cap that I never used in the kit. The internet also shows .2 and 1 mm diameters available separately.

I recently migrated from a Talon to an Iwata HP-CS and couldn't be happier, I learned a lot with the Talon though, it was a fine airbrush for its price range.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'll toss in another recommendation for the Iwata HP-CS. I have one of those, a Badger Sotar 20/20, and two Badger 150s. I use the Iwata 99% of the time, the Sotar 1% of the time, and I haven't touched the Badger 150s in years.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to check out the Iwata HP-CS too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
With every kit I get better and better at not getting superglue all over my drat fingers. I love these titchy ones that go inside cigar-box sized tins. They're just so *small*.

Very small Paris. Favourite thing: little flower on the upstairs balcony hanging down.

A tiny circus! Favourite thing: the smoke coming out the train funnel that I made with some fluff left over from another kit. Also the pink cat is sitting on the railroad track, maybe she got tired of Paris and so is tired of life.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'd absolutely recommend AGAINST the Talon. That thing loving sucks and had me on the verge of quitting model building due to constant poor performance and spending 30 minutes cleaning to get about 4-5 minutes of painting done. I switched to a Badger Patriot then upgraded to an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and love both of these. I use the Badger for basecoating and general trashwork and then the Eclipse for basically everything else. I ended up selling my Talon but then still have an Extreme Patriot and a Sotar that I picked up, neither of which I've ever used.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Since the Sotar 20/20 has come up a couple times, I want to clarify. It is not a bad airbrush by any means, but it is primarily designed for pencil thin lines. If you are doing freehand work where extreme detail is essential, such as painting a big titty barbarian woman standing on top of a pile of flaming skulls fighting a dragon on the hood of your '71 Chevy Nova, it is great. In the scale modeling world (at least in my world), there is not much freehand work that requires that level of detail. Maybe some German aircraft camo patterns at 1/144 scale would be in the realm of that level of detail. For the most part, you mask it, you spray it, and you want an airbrush that is a rock solid workhorse that can do the level of detail required for freehanding 1/72 as well as lay down primer and the Iwata HP-CS can do all that.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After not buying any kits since January and getting down to one half finished kit in the stash I thought I'd add something new into the rotation and it is below

Really looking forward to this one as it is low key one of my favourite slightly crappy 70's cars by far. Plan is to do it oob with some detail added to the engine to make it look right. I've had a quick dig through the box and it looks to be a very nicely detailed kit and the molding is super duper crisp.

On the topic of airbrushes I picked up a paasche talon last year and have been happy with it. Any issues I've had have been down to operator error mostly to do with cleaning it properly after using clear coat which dried in the brush and gummed it up pretty well.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I have an Iwata HP-CS and the only real issue I've had with it was when I got distracted and left paint in it for a day and a half.

Finally finished the dusty desert guy :3: :

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Vorenus posted:

I have an Iwata HP-CS and the only real issue I've had with it was when I got distracted and left paint in it for a day and a half.

I'm very impressed with your dangly balls.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

I'm very impressed with your dangly balls.

Thanks! I'm happy with how they turned out but I will absolutely never do ball-and-chain armor again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Mmm, gritty.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My husband has been really interested in American Civil War history recently, and I was thinking about getting him an ironclad model for Christmas. He would be a complete novice at this. Does anyone have any recommendations?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vorenus posted:

Impressive job on the canvas.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Maigius posted:

My husband has been really interested in American Civil War history recently, and I was thinking about getting him an ironclad model for Christmas. He would be a complete novice at this. Does anyone have any recommendations?

unfortunately looking at kit listings there’s not much in the way of ironclad kits that are in stock at retailers. however I did find one website (https://www.culttvmanshop.com/PREOR...ION_p_6494.html) which claims that the Lindbeg double set is getting a re-release this fall from Atlantis models

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There are two good manufacturers for ironclads in 1/600 scale. Thoroughbred Figures has suspended production, while Bay Area Yards is operating out of Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/195747367161237 They've got a pretty wide range.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

After not buying any kits since January and getting down to one half finished kit in the stash I thought I'd add something new into the rotation and it is below

Really looking forward to this one as it is low key one of my favourite slightly crappy 70's cars by far. Plan is to do it oob with some detail added to the engine to make it look right. I've had a quick dig through the box and it looks to be a very nicely detailed kit and the molding is super duper crisp.

On the topic of airbrushes I picked up a paasche talon last year and have been happy with it. Any issues I've had have been down to operator error mostly to do with cleaning it properly after using clear coat which dried in the brush and gummed it up pretty well.

Hey I just got this kit too. Its typical amazing Tamiya quality. I've only done the engine so far. I did the valve cover in Alclad chrome which probably isn't how they came from the factory but I don't care. I'm really tempted to try to fit some custom (but still period correct) wheels on it because the only thing I really don't like about the 240Z is the wheel design and skinny tires.

What are you going to paint the body with?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 1/72 1942ish SBD Dauntless kit? Seems like 1/48 is more common for that plane.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Hey I just got this kit too. Its typical amazing Tamiya quality. I've only done the engine so far. I did the valve cover in Alclad chrome which probably isn't how they came from the factory but I don't care. I'm really tempted to try to fit some custom (but still period correct) wheels on it because the only thing I really don't like about the 240Z is the wheel design and skinny tires.

What are you going to paint the body with?

I don't mind the wheels as they are but most of the ones I've ever seen in real life had wider tires on them. The only issue I've found with the kit so far is the ejector pin marks on the visible side of rear hatch area which is annoying but some Tamiya extra thin brushed on mostly made them go away.

As for the paint for the body I'm going full box art TS11 which is Maroon. This is mostly because when I did my first job which was a paper run I used to walk past a 240Z that was painted the same colour.

Edit: The body is now done and the images are below. Pretty happy with the colour overall tbh.

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 22, 2021

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

orphean posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 1/72 1942ish SBD Dauntless kit? Seems like 1/48 is more common for that plane.

Hasegawa's the least-bad option in 1/72 and 1/48. I think the Hobby2000 reboxes are going to be the easiest to find, but that's a pretty relative statement right now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BrenGun makes a very nice 1/144 Dauntless.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Edit: The body is now done and the images are below. Pretty happy with the colour overall tbh.

Stop making me want to lick wet paint.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Stop making me want to lick wet paint.

Was that a spray can? That's incredibly smooth.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah spray can that I dunked in hot water to help it because it is winter here and the outside temp last night was 1c. I still sprayed outside but made sure to get it back inside quick after each coat. Took 5 light coats to build the colour enough for it to be consistant. I'm temped to airbrush a lot of the other bits but theres 3 days of rain forecast with the possibility of snow on Sunday and I don't have indoor spraying capacity

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Tamiya cans are 50% paint and 50% magic. That's my theory anyway.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I tend to use tamiya cans a whole heap for my car bodies and light coats certainly help getting a consistent result. I used to half hose it on which never worked out all that well but have refined my technique over the last couple of years. TS13 clear is a tricky beast though so I have mostly switched to premixed zero paints clear.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I don't mind the wheels as they are but most of the ones I've ever seen in real life had wider tires on them. The only issue I've found with the kit so far is the ejector pin marks on the visible side of rear hatch area which is annoying but some Tamiya extra thin brushed on mostly made them go away.

As for the paint for the body I'm going full box art TS11 which is Maroon. This is mostly because when I did my first job which was a paper run I used to walk past a 240Z that was painted the same colour.

I really like it in maroon, I actually have a postcard of one of the old promotional shots on my desk at work. (According to which the 'G' in 240ZG stands for Grand as in Grand Personal GT.. or Grand Personal Grand Tourer... guess they didn't quite think that through. :sweatdrop:)

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Righty oh time for another update on the 240Z from Tamiya. I don't normally build that quickly due to a number of factors but the combination of the current lockdown in Sydney, it being winter and working from home with no commute means I have a fair bit of time to get on with it in the evenings.
This kit is also excellent to put together with every component so far fitting with no need for additional work. The wiring added to the engine will probably end up being the only extras I add to the kit and while I normally clear coat the body I tempted to give this a miss on this one and instead polish up the paint work. Theres still a couple of bits to add but that will be this evenings job.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maigius posted:

A bit late to answer this maybe, but Blue Jacket Ship Crafters produces kits of the CSS Virginia, USS Cairo and the USS Monitor, but these are not plastic kits, they are primarily wood construction in 1/16" = 1' scale.

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/ussmonitor.htm

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/cairo.htm

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/cssvirgina.htm

No idea how hard these are to assemble, although Blue Jacket rates them at 3 or 4 on there 9 tier system, so on the easier end relative to all their other kits anyway.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The finish of one project and the beginning of another. I managed to get the Nissian fairlady 240ZG finished last night and I quite like how it turned out. The paint work isn't perfectly shiny but I think it fits the time period when the car first came out so it stays. It's also my first time polishing tamiya spray without clear coating it first. The pics are below:

And today I managed to get the paint done on my next project which will be an AMG GT3 in the wynn livery. This is the second time I've built this kit as this is the scheme that the first was supposed to end up in but thanks to last years delays the decals sat in Spain for an extended period of time so the first got finished in Mann Filter colours. The aftermarket decals came with masking stickers to indicate where the boundaries of each colour is. These ended up working beautifully and the zero paints set of colours worked out pretty well in the end.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Having recently become a capital d Dad I've started metamorphosing into a Train Person. My little one is completely obsessed with trains and it's rubbing off on me.

I've started building model kits because I specifically want to get the Big Boy kit (https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/revell-big-boy-locomotive-plastic-model-kit-187/561044-1000) to build to put on a shelf in his room (starting with some tiny scale civilian aircraft. I am quite enjoying the process of building this tiny plane but what I want to build is trains. But like, modern diesel electric freight trains like the Class 66 and that sort of thing, big yellow boxes.

My question is does anyone actually make these kinds of model trains or is the market saturated by the other kind of model trains that are prohibitively expensive and space consuming?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LeFishy posted:

Having recently become a capital d Dad I've started metamorphosing into a Train Person.
I'm sorry for your life choices.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I made another of these little tin dioramas. It occurs to me that I should probably stop idly nibbling stray superglue off my fingertips. Can't be good for me.

I also found a massive HMS Victory model kit, the 1/225 gift set Revell one. Had it kicking about the house for years - I bought it, then Mum asked if she could have it, then her hands got bad, and now I've pinched it back. Got the week off. A tempting project! Though I think it'll take longer than a week.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I'm sorry for your life choices.

If it helps I had to google the name of the train I suggested I might want to build. I don’t think I have the energy to become full train.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I made another of these little tin dioramas. It occurs to me that I should probably stop idly nibbling stray superglue off my fingertips. Can't be good for me.

Look, some of us were eating glue in kindergarten. You just got a late start is all.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

LeFishy posted:

My question is does anyone actually make these kinds of model trains or is the market saturated by the other kind of model trains that are prohibitively expensive and space consuming?

I think this should get you what you want:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=trains&fkTYPENAME[]=%22Full%20kits%22

Scalemates isn't being very helpful so the URL is broken, copy & paste. Bear in mind quite a lot of that is probably out of production and will be hard to find; ebay might be your best bet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR