Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Why the touch and flow thing when you can get essentially the same thing with a bottle of glue on the end? Quality is decent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

This is sexy, but Revell "blue" products (supplies/tools, not models) are somewhat hard to come by in the US. I have yet to see a single thing made by them in a hobby shop other than their models.

Really? That's lovely, if it was me though I'd order it from somewhere, I'd rather pay a premium than not have it. It's honestly the easiest cleanest stuff I've ever used. Actually I don't think I've used anything else for about 15 years.

Here's a couple of store finders if that helps at all:
http://www3.revell.com/Find-our-products.finda_retailer.0.html?&no_cache=1
http://www2.revell.com/cgi-bin/WRCS57505P.pgm?v=RV2

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 25, 2009

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Hows this one? :D
http://moonpans.com/models/SaturnV48.htm

Or a slightly more reasonable Revell one. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Revell-1%2F96-Apollo-Saturn-V-40-years-_W0QQitemZ190317902730QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090629?IMSfp=TL090629154001r6235

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Oh look hun they delivered a spaceship instead of that surprise new dishwasher I ordered you. Those silly internet shop people! Oh dear they seem to have gone out of business so I wont be able to send it back. Never mind this will look great in the middle of the sitting room. :v:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

How about Alien/s kits? I've always wanted some but never gotten around to getting any. A dropship? The Sulaco? Badass Ripley in the loader? APC, ETC, ETC. Or the one I really want but would need a license to have in my country a 1:1 model of a M41A pulse rifle!

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

EvilMuppet: The Aliens kits are out of production as far as I know, but can still be found in some places if you're lucky...say, the dusty back corner of a comic book store...or eBay, if you don't mind paying out the rear end for them. The little-known, but epic 1:1 Alien Facehugger kit shows up on there occasionally, as well as the usual Halcyon kits. My personal favorite is the dropship. As far as I know, they never produced a model of the Sulaco, but with the "technical manual" you can get that details the Space Marines technology, there's more than enough drawings to build one from scratch... ;)

I beg to disagree, Halcyon made one: 1/2400 Aliens USS Sulaco Model Kit.

:)

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

TheFuglyStik posted:

I'd kill a sweet old lady for one of those 1/1 vinyl chestbursters. Sadly, I can't even find them at Wonderfest.

US$15.99 buy it now price. No old ladies required. http://tinyurl.com/nzvj95

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

:aaaaa:

Curse you, now I must find this at any cost!!!

Edit: Some quick poking around resulted in...well, nothing. It looks like Aoshima re-issued the kit a while back but it's basically sold out everywhere.

Get this, though...apparently there was also a "garage kit" (limited run resin) that was twice the size of the Halcyon model. It's even more unobtainable, though. :smith:

This place seems to have it in stock, it let me get as far as the checkout with one:
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Starstore_Catalogue_ALIEN_COLLECTIBLES_1581.html

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Here's the garage kit I was talking about :

http://www.culttvman.com/kyu-woong_lee_s_sulaco.html

100% resin kits, especially those that are not produced by a top-notch company such as Eduard, are a major pain in the rear end to work with, but the toughness of the resin material allows for much finer and sharper details. So, it's a lot of work, but as you can see from this dude's finished model, it can be very rewarding.

Personally, I've never understood why there isn't more of a market for science fiction models like this, because the engineering should be a lot easier than for an aircraft. With aircraft you also have the challenge of reproducing a real object as accurately as possible. If models existed for ships from Homeworld 2, Descent: Freespace, the Wing Commander series...well, I'd have a fricking fleet of them. I think that as the technology in development for rapid prototyping on the desktop continues to evolve and get cheaper, we'll finally be able to build essentially whatever we want from scratch.

Yeah I know what you mean, I guess there just isn't enough demand for them?

While I was looking for the Sulaco kit above I discovered you can buy pulse rifle conversions for a M1A1 Thompson sub machine gun. That's right you can own a real (kinda) working pulse rifle.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

JD Brickmeister posted:

Where do you live that you need a license for a TOY gun, let alone a make believe science fiction gun? Do kids who pick up sticks that are vaguely gun shaped and point them at someone get mandatory counseling?

Australia, and this kind of thing might be considered a 'replica' rather than a toy here. The gubment here is rather strict with gun laws.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

So, erm, I finally manned up and decided to get a start on scale modeling (military). Except that I have no idea where to start. The OP gives some useful info, but for a complete beginner like me, a lot of those stuff just fly over my head.

Can anyone recommend a nice, comprehensive guide/introduction to scale modeling? I live in Korea, which means I should have plenty of access to Japanese model kits. Just that I don't know which kit to start with, which tools are necessary, etc.

What kind of stuff do you want to build? Anime? Manga? Realistic tanks? planes? What scale?

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

I'm inclined towards WWII armored vehicles, but some of them look insanely detailed and I would most likely die from frustration if I bought the wrong model. Scale doesn't really matter, but what's the best "starter" size?

I like 1/35. Just find a cheapie kit in that scale some glue (have a look back through the thread, I posted what is IMO the best glue available) some clippers and a hobby scalpel and go to town.

Wash your kit in warm soapy water, this removes and residue from the molds.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Welp, I had an hell of an initiation to scale modeling. I bought a M18 Hellcat from a Korean manufacturer (Academy) and a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, along with a set of paints and some thinner.

I assembled some parts and tried to paint them. I swallowed some of that paint thinner trying to get the safety cap off with my teeth (stupid, I know). Then I tried to paint. Got the parts painted, but the clean up... I dumped the leftover paint in my bathroom sink. Now it looks like someone took a poo poo and it won't come off. What the poo poo do I use to clean the paint off?

Jeez dude, your just starting out? Take those oil/enamel paints you have and throw them all in the bin. They are only useful for specialized effects and crazy people. Buy some nice acrylics instead.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Nope, but I keep intending to try it.

Ok, another question. I am trying to restock my paints (the holy crap i'm out of white, red, yellow and blue kind of out) and I'm not fond of post hexagon-flip-top citadel paints. I've been looking up my options, but I can't find a "starter kit" of primary colors from vallejo, reaper, coat d'arms or any of the citadel comparables (outside the UK). I'm kind of looking for a fresh start, but as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, tamiya needs thinner and I'm timid to drop serious cash on gunze or polly without any experience using thinner.

Should I just man up and go to a more "professional" hobby brand like testors model masters or tamiya, or is it possible to stick with water-thinned acrylics like citadel (except cheaper)? Enamel solvent based paints aren't really an option when I occasionally paint soft PVC, and I can't invest in two parallel but incompatible formulas right now.

quote:

INTRO GAME COLOR SET
(Ref. 72108)
Boxed Set with 8 primary colors of Game Color with 2 Toray brushes, palette, plastic figure and color chart.

There are plenty of other sets there too. Whatever you want buy it from here http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

I'd recommend the full set of every colour they make :P

EDIT: Whatever you choose, stick with acrylics.

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 29, 2009

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Vallejo and Games Workshop (Citadel brand) both make absolutely fantastic quality paints. I had never touched them before until I started dabbling in figures, and I couldn't believe how easily they flow and brush compared to, say, Tamiya.

The Citadel washes are also kickass for achieving shading effects. They are apparently pigment based rather than ink, which makes them more permanent and vivid.

Agreed, the Citadel washes and foundations are both amazing.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Oh yeah I knew they made them, but I can't find a US distributer in my area, and I'm still searching the online distributers for some good prices.

edit and hell yes I want that 72 pc set, but hell I don't have $160 to drop on paint right now

I'll go ask the Warhams for you, I know a couple people there bought sets.

EDIT: US$17.50 with free international shipping for the starter set of basic colours (and some paintbrushes and a pallet).
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 29, 2009

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Just as an attempt to keep the thread alive, I'm posting about my recent models. I got a Bradley M3 and a Type 90 tank in the mail today. Both pretty light on details and simple. They did only cost me $2+pp though. They also have electric motors which I have not seen in a scale model before. I've only put the base of one together but it scares the crap out of my cat when I send it across the kitchen floor.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Does anyone know how to get those tiny extension springs that are great pipe greeblies for spaceships? I've tried searching for spring assortments, but I don't think I have the right keywords.

Like the guy above me said you are looking for guitar strings or even bass strings depending on the diameter you are looking for.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

FlashBewin posted:

Figured i'd come in here and post my 2 cents worth.
I bought an Iwata BCR and a compressor (also Iwata) that i don't remember the name of right now. I got the both of them as a set for $190, which i thought was pretty cool. The Compressor itself, online, was $200.
Anyway, i got into it because i *really* wanted to try my hand at painting the miniatures from the Starship Troopers miniatures game. The game itself failed, but i was able to buy a crapload of the figures kits for cheap.

I have to admit that i absolutely love the Warrior Bugs. they take about 15 seconds to put together and they really are just a joy to paint.

I'm not great at painting. I have Carpel Tunnel syndrome and i have a hard time getting a real fine spray pattern, considering they don't make a .03 needle for my AirBrush.

I bought a Flames Of War Tank, but it was too small for me to really put much effort into it. I have a couple of models that i havn't put together yet, but i have a P-51 Mustang from Tamiya that i use a test for different paint colors.

My camoflage pattern is terrible, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, i can offer a gem of advice for anyone who needs it.

For stencils, honestly, go to Office Max/Office Depot/favorite Office supply warehouse, and buy those plastic sheets that teachers used to use with the Overhead Projectors. I bought a box of 100 sheets for $18, and they are honestly one of the best investments i've made so far.

As far as paints go, i use Vallejo Acrylics. The colors mix okay although the guy at the local Riders Hobby told me to use a 50/50 mix of paint and water, althought that was bad advice.

I'm working on a Mitchell 2-engine bomber but i'm not happy with the way its going. I think i'm going to shift away from Tamiya, it seems like the majority of their models are warped/edges don't meet right. I considered buying one of the various flavors of joiners/Green stuff/whatever you want to use to close gaps, but i'd rather buy quality models that don't need it.

Er.. all models need some greenstuff, doesn't matter how well they are made.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Shachi posted:

^^^

Thanks for the info man. I think I might go out today and get one then. The deals are really nice.

Also anyone have any good forums or sites that teach techniques like enamel washing etc.? I've drooled over that stuff Narita-san does for days but there is a lot he doesn't quite explain with his Engrish.

Also I'm pretty interested in WH 40k but not the table top game it self. I play the PC games a lot and would be more interested in doing pieces for a diorama more than I would for actual use. Is there anyone else who does this or is this just a travesty?

Nah, I do the same. Love modelling and painting and reading about the universe but don't have any interest in the actual game.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Kerro posted:

Thanks for the airbrush advice - the Tamiya kit looks like it could be a decent option for what I'm after. I've been using spraycans up til now but have been pretty dissatisfied with them - which may be partly the way I'm using them, but the uneven pressure and small can sizes has made it pretty hard to get a decent gloss coating. They're definitely cheaper in the short term but I figured if I could get a relatively inexpensive airbrush then it wouldn't take too long to pay itself off.

I'll hold off for now though - I'd like to follow Bloody Hedgehog's advice and save to get a decent one, but sadly this is only one of many hobbies and I find it hard to justify the cost right now. Thanks for warning me off the ebay ones though - I don't really feel that inclined to deal with new headaches :)

What are you painting? Model cars?

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Generator posted:

So after completeing my Revell helicopter a while ago, I wanted more airfixy goodness!

After making this:

I have decided on a new project to keep me occupied for the next however long.

I am going to make a further 8 of them, mount them in a frame like this (but canopy facing out):

With coloured cotton wool for the smoke.

Going to hang it on my wall when its done.

Some shading and highlighting would do wonders for this, at the moment it looks like a toy. Even just blacklining the panels with ink and some light drybrushing would be good.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Take that political correctness!

I think it's from the mid ninties, but still.

I don't get it. :(

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Crossposting this:

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent starter airbrush kit? I'm interested in this one because the local hobby shop has one for $250. Since I live in Australia buying from overseas via mailorder for better known models isn't really an option due to shipping charges.

http://www.ultimatetoys.com.au/delt...01-p-15759.html
(not buying from that shop, just an example of the product.)

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

I went ahead and bought it, probably a silly thing to do but oh well. Have not had time to play with it yet. Will do so on the weekend and report back. I did plug in and turn on the compressor and was surprised it was not louder.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Bumping with an update:

I am awesomely horrible with an airbrush but dear god it's one of the most fun things I have ever done.

EDIT: That's my GF painting pictures of our cats.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

uXs posted:

I like the first one better. The envelope just seems too big and feels a bit detached. The smaller spheres look more realistic.

Odd, I'd say the opposite is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

I'm going to go ahead and and say it's your paint. Technique sounds fine. Also "adhesion promoter"? What is that exactly? Do you mean primer?