Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hello thread. This weekend I finished loving up a Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II.

It was shortly after the matte coat dried that I realized I'd made it look like a crummier Pz IV, but here we are anyway.

I can recognize some of the basics of where I went wrong - I got sloppy with my oil wash, I whiffed on masking the turret flash, probably should have remembered to prime the shield I stuck on the front before I brushed it, big stuff. Critique would be appreciated nonetheless.

Also, for a 1/35 tank, this thing's awfully tiny. Here it is wearing a Sherman hull for a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Close support variant used in the Spanish Civil War?

Bullshit fantasy variant so I can try out converting stuff one step at a time and never have to worry about historical accuracy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Bandai 1/72 X-wing is a pretty decent model that slaps together in just a few hours, with decals squeezed out of the Devil's rear end in a top hat itself.

On an unrelated note, I was hoping for recommendations for a decal softener that's got a little more kick to it than Microsol.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think I broke every drat part on this thing at some point in the assembly process. But it's done and now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

What a terrible name for such a neat thing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I built a spaceship over the weekend, and finished it up last night. Having the usual regrets about stuff I didn't notice while painting but become glaringly obvious in photos. Still, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Plus A-wing Classic:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

What kind of thinner are you using? I found switching to a proper flow improver really helped with dry tip, while using alcohol-based thinners made the problem infinitely worse.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I learned about the technique through Doogs! I'm just having difficulty applying what I'm reading/seeing on his site to real life!

I'm using Vallejo model air/vallejo general paint with Vallejo thinner.

Here is an example of some flaps I made with the blackbasing technique

Yeah, I did the same thing when I was buying my first airbrushing supplies. Vallejo thinner is basically the worst thing to try and thin their paints for airbrushing. It's just as dumb as it sounds.

I prefer using their flow improver to the retarder medium, since the latter is a moderately thick gel. You can get the Vallejo stuff if you like their bottle caps, or you can use Liquitex flow improver for the same effect for a little cheaper, but with a slightly crummier way to dispense the stuff out of its original bottle. Blending either with some inks and water lets you whip up your own panel liner, too.

You can also increase your transparency with some glaze medium for preference, or matte medium in a pinch. That'll let your texturing shine through more, but you'll need to dump more actual thinner in there to compensate.

(Judging by your post history I'm pretty sure you know most or all of this, so I apologize if this is redundant.)

Unrelated, but thank you to everyone with kind words about the A-wing. I forgot to post the warm fuzzies earlier.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Memorial Day Sherman. This is the Tamiya 1/35 early production model, and this ended up kind of bland.

This was my first time doing pigment weathering, and I probably should have pushed it further.

That said, I bought this kit just so I could put it next to my other tanks, namely

Panzer II is tiiiiiny.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

To speak for me, Diane's post covers basically everything I'd have to say.

The only other thing I can think to mention is that every paint is going to need different ratios of additive, even within the same brands and batches, and it never hurts to do some tests on a sheet of paper if you're going into a brand new bottle.

Or, go hog wild, and then get in some practice stripping your model and giving it another go-round.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I decided to do a checkerboard pattern on a 1/72 fuselage and I regret every decision I've ever made. Freehanding it might actually be easier than this masking process.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Tamiya 1/72 Bf-109 is a really nice kit. Detailing's nice and sharp, fitment is great and only had to fill along the leading edge of the wing. And it's still a Nazi plane, so I wasn't gonna paint it up historical-like.

I had to redo the masking a couple times, and eventually ended up having to do it in multiple passes. I wish I'd put harsher highlights on it in the green and yellow; they turned pretty flat after the wash and seal.

Still, might do another one of these in a diorama getting exploded or something. It really is a nice kit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Nice job on the checkerboard! Is this the new Tamiya 1/72 Bf 109 G6?

It is, and it's a super-nice kit. I recommend it to anybody who can tolerate Nazi poo poo.

On that same line, how are you liking the profipack Spit? I've been eyeballing that one and the new Tempest for a while, but my last Eduard experience wasn't so hot.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Today I learned that Vallejo Blue Grey Pale and Pale Grey Blue are two substantially different colors.

Serious post: French Mirage Blue and Sky Grey.

Actual post:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty sure a French helo is Bonjour.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Managed to get a couple of models finished over the last couple of days both of which where nearly finished when I set them aside.
The first is a BMW M6 GT3 put out by Platz NuNu. It was a super frustrating kit to put together particularly when it came to fitting the bumpers to the body and the rear wing support at the back was poorly planned. Glad it's finished up and on the shelf.

The second was an oldish tamiya kit that was annoying for the decals but the rest of it more or less fell together as expected. I'm not super happy about the clear I put over the decals but given I don't have an airbrush and don't want to use TS13 it'll have to do.

Bless you for having the patience to do that without an airbrush. It looks pretty sharp, too!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I can't figure out what this is for. Why would you want to spray paint at the tip of a marker?

It's 100% meant to blow paint off the marker tip, rather than onto it. Ostensibly it's so you can get perfect color-matching with the Gundam-branded markers, but in reality, it's because people are suckers.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Nah, gently caress Nazis.

I totally stole the checkering idea from this Finnish Bf109 decked out in racing stripes, 'cause it looks sharp as all get out. I can only assume that hand-masking the entire fuselage was still easier than putting on that decal.

I've done the unthinkable and cleared out a substantial portion of my backlog. Anyone have any recommendations for outstanding kits of any stripe?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Those Hasegawa construction kits do look pretty neat. I'll definitely see if I can turn one up.

Gervasius posted:

I'm building Bandai 1/72 X-Wing now and holy poo poo the engineering on that kit is amazing. It feels like you could just open the box, pour some glue in it, shake it well and a good model pops out.

Not to call you out, but I hated my X-wing and I think it was the worst Bandai kit I've ever put together. Bad fit, crappy decals, too many parts for not enough benefit. The rest of their Star Wars stuff and their robots are great, though.

Did you get the Rogue One X-wing or the Episode IV version, out of curiosity? Mine was the former.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I used a USB-powered case fan and ran it off a spare phone charger brick. I'm not venting anything but dust and thinner, though, so it's not moving a ton of air.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

But how does the Wilder oyster taste?

For tiny fucker parts, I've had a lot of success foregoing the tweezers and just sticking them to the end of a toothpick with a little bit of bluetack. Dab the right end into your adhesive, then hold it in place until it adheres, and it'll pop right off the toothpick.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I made a tank.

It's pretty tiny.

Hasegawa 1/72 M3. Not a bad kit, not a great kit. There are a couple of fitment issues, and the casting is decent but not razor-sharp. The decals are solidly okay, a little thick but not too delicate. I was a little surprised to find vinyl track instead of a pre-cast wheel-and-track chunk, though.

The really brilliant part was where I put on my final coat of varnish, but it's still really glossy. So I hit it again, and it's not dulling at all. I got most of the way through a third "final" coat before I realized I was grabbed the other gloss bottle instead of the matte. On the plus side, now I could probably throw this thing down a flight of stairs and not chip the paint.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, absolutely. I hate doing 1/35 track, I can't imagine how bad it'd be at 1/72.

I'm thinking more of some of the small AFV kits I've seen where the track, wheels and idlers are all one unit, straight off the frame. It's nice and quick, but solid plastic chunks of track at that scale look gross.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Zodack posted:

I have a Badger 105 Patriot - is there anything wrong with the regulator being affixed to the head part of the airbrush? It's become tight and I can't remove it any longer. I can remove the head just fine, and the tip from there, but I can't remove the regulator from the head... even after running it through a sonic cleaner. I'll chalk it up to Future or something getting it stuck tight and it doesn't seem to affect performance... but replacement parts are cheap (ish) and I am still mostly a beginner.

To be honest I'm unsure why those two parts separate in the first place unless it's to do something with the tip and needle.

Different regulators go with different needle sizes. You get some ugly spray when you use the wrong combination of the two, trust me.

I had my Patriot head-bits get stuck due to some varnish a while back. I just put a rubber band around the delicate parts and twisted them apart with a pair of pliers.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

This rules. I love when you ship folks post.

Symetrique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVak74ZiVo

lol Budzik just insulted britain's honour

Kinda weird to see a review out there that doesnt end with "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"

This also rules, but for entirely different reasons. Like, aren't Airfix kits known to be on the crappier side?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aww poo poo, it's my favorite tank.

Which kit is this, and how are you liking it so far?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Did you know there's a Sherman suspension assembly on the back of TIE Fighters?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's just really satisfying to know that someone out there built an original screen model with kitbashed junk, and someone else had to replicate that part decades later just to get their own model into conformity.

I love reading about detailed bash jobs, put that right into my veins.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I have a pair of Hasegawa P-47s.

I totally ran out of space for the L decal, and totally went overboard on the oil wash, now that I got some decent materials to do it.

There is just no context in which putting down yellow does not suck.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Can I ask you to go over your detailing and weathering process? That's looking real sharp all around.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I really wish I had any interest in that thing. Dear Amazon, please screw up the price on something I want.

Try it, friend. First one's $11.13.

You can do a full kit, with articulation and an internal frame, in a single sitting, including topcoat. Or you can paint it up like a regular model, with a crazy amount of detail.

https://twitter.com/Soheiheihei/status/1138990719983448065

https://twitter.com/trysetubi/status/1145992370300657665

https://twitter.com/Anavel_sato/status/1143681605740875777

poo poo, some of them are basically plane kits with a couple extra parts anyway.

https://twitter.com/atelier_imai/status/1114743262403678209

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, you guys make me feel like a real rear end in a top hat with my Harbor Freight side cutters and pilfered nail files.

I'm finally getting settled into the new house and I think I want to try my hand at a plane. I picked up the Revell A-6E quite a while back but kind of flamed out on it. Didn't even bother bringing it in the move. Any recommendations from you guys for a first plane?

Seconding Symetrique's recommendation. You've got to work at it to go wrong with a Tamiya 1/72 plane. In particular the Bf 109-G is extremely good, but it's new and popular, so it might be hard to track one down at a reasonable price.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

No articulated pushrods, no buy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

What non-Amazon online shops with US delivery do you folks prefer?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

The T-34/85 is finished! Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/i5ueIG4

Quite nice. Beyond the detailing and weathering, I really like how you nailed the winter camo whitewash.

I’ve heard nice things about AFV Club - how did you like the build?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's adorable.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I've abused a Master TC-40T for years and it's still running strong. Definitely get something with a tank.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, but this is for a first airbrush kit. I don't doubt that a really nice Iwata compressor is, well, really nice. It'll also cost more, by itself, than an airbrush and compressor of reasonable make that'll last for years.

Worst case scenario is that BOGO has to buy a nicer model down the road, knowing more about what they like and don't like in their airbrushing hardware.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That spaceship is good as hell, and I love the aztecing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hey, has there been any discussion of a group build lately? i'd love to do a crapbuild with y'all.

I'm up for such a thing. I could stand to do something different.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'll build an egg scale anything any day of the week, but -

Molentik posted:

Maybe one of the Meng Toon tanks? They are like :10bux: and simple enough to build and paint them in a weeke d or so.

Not to call bullshit on you, but even buying direct from Japan, I haven't seen these suckers for anything less than around 15-20 bucks. But if you got the hookup, absolutely let me know. I got a major need for the whole set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I just found a local store with a bunch of the Meng egg tanks, so I'm set for either an egg scale or a Soviet armor project.