Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Slung Blade posted:

A bic lighter would probably work :kiddo:

you can get some pretty cheap butane powered torches / gas soldering irons from your local hardware type store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Anyone know anyone who makes aircraft in 1/100 or close to it?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Thanks - I'll look into Those. Yes it is an odd scale for aircraft but it is for my Flames of war 101st Airborne which are 15mm / 1/100.

1/144 is what FoW uses to represent your aircraft on the table, but they would be too small for having up close on some sort of display base.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Well gently caress me, so it does - that is a pain. The enamel thinner says the same "use only with Tamiya paints" thing.

Would it still work with say the enamel based MIG washes or am I going to have to get the MIG thinner?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Well using high tech odor analysis (huffing it) the Tamiya enamel thinner gives of a mild turps smell so I guess it should work.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Has anyone had any experience with scratchbuilding something in a smaller scale using an larger kit as reference?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I want to take the omnibus from this set (1:32) and scale it down for use with proper 28mm minatures (so 1:72).

Unless someone knows of a kit in that scale, it is quite a difficult model to track down.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Thanks

I was just roughly following these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_scale#Scales

I am probably going to cheat since I have access to a CAD package via work. Most likely sketch it up first and then transfer it onto styrene.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

That or fill the gaps with a putty. Tamiya make a white putty for this purpose, it is sandable etc. Although I haven't used it myself so someone else might have to post that info.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Xenomrph posted:

Jesus christ. This sounds like a loving nightmare. I mean, I take my model-building hobby pretty seriously, but not "poison myself to death" seriously. :(

What should I be doing for sanding? Like, am I sanding the whole model? If so, why? I mean, I'm familiar with using metal files on metal/plastic models, but I've never had to use sandpaper on a model before.

Likewise, I've also never had to pin a model, which sounds like a pain in the rear end. :(

You will only need a mask if you are sanding*. Otherwise you can treat resin as you do say a plastic model kit. You should only need to clean up flash and mold lines, so no you don't need to sand the whole model.

When dealing to the mold lines you can scrape along them with your hobby knife to remove them. Anything more stubborn probably will require sanding, you can try to gouge them down with a knife but sanding is far far easier.

When sanding I have found it handy to sand / wash / sand - repeat. I don't keep it wet during the sanding process though.

*Resin is not good to breathe in but it is chronic exposure to particulate matter which really will do you in - go read up on black lung.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Forums user big_g posted this over in the historicals thread:

big_g posted:

to which he replied when I asked how he achieved that effect:

big_g posted:

What I do for the chipping is paint on a patch of the next shade up from whatever the base colour is along an edge or high wear area so its fairly bright. Then I fill inside with black leaving a thin outline of the bright colour. I then put a thin line of dark grey along the edge of the tank inside the black.

Works for most things but is best on edges or really high wear areas.

Also Battlefront have this article on winter weathering, but the masking techniques can be extrapolated over to other forms of wear and tear.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 26, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

It is because painting little men (space or otherwise) and fighting them is the man-child equilvalent of dressing up your dollies and playing pretend.

Edit: Nice work on the Antonov

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 2, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I haven't used it, but a quick search indicated it is some sort of Matt Varnish. If you want to make proper use of it you'll probably need some Tamiya acrylic thinner (X20A).

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Xenomrph posted:

Crimson Skies owns.

Agreed.

Xenomrph posted:

The "museum scale" Devastator. I'll have to take some pictures of it, it's pretty neat.

Yeah, I'd love to see that. I am presuming the answer is "no" but is there anywhere to get one anymore (for a reasonable price)?

Xenomrph posted:

Grey, yellow, and navy blue, respectively.

Isn't that the German livery from Crimson skies?

Also Unkempt I love that Devastator, it was always my favorite CS plane.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Unkempt posted:

Well, that's done. Can you spot the deliberate mistake

The Devastator has 2 props.
:goonsay:

That is really nice work Unkempt. What did you use as reference when building that thing?

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 31, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I can assure you that the wingnut wings kits are of amazing quality and well worth the money.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Does anyone know a good source of 1/32 WWI British/American infantry figures? I'm looking for some crew for a project I have in mind.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 3, 2012

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

lilljonas posted:

I don't know anyone who make infantry figures in 1/32, how bad would it be to go with 1/35 instead?

Yeah 1/35 would work just fine.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I managed to find a good range of 1:32 WW1 Figures and accessories here. Price and quality seem decent, and they even have a set of gasmasked heads (something that I was looking for).

Sadly there was still a lack of 1:35 or 1:32 figures although i did find some very nice quality ones at the model cellar

Now that I have these sourced I'm going to have to drag the kit out of the closet and start working on it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I haven't worked with photoetch specifically (but will be in the future) but as with most thin metal, make sure you plan out your bends, you don't want to have keep working it otherwise there is a high chance it will snap.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2012

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Nebakenezzer posted:

Superglue, if you put it on wax paper, stays liquid for a long time, so you can apply just the right amount.

No matter what you are doing this is a good thing to know! Thanks.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

How do you usually deal with ejector pin marks? I have an airfix kit I'm working on and the backs of pieces are quite shocking when it comes to them. The worst thing is they are mostly on places which won't be obscured by construction.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Most of them are flat panels so detail is not a problem. I know there is the tamiya white putty for this purpose, does anyone else know of a better/preferred putty to use?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

compressioncut posted:

Gunze Mr. Surfacer 500 is good for that sort of thing if you can get your hands on it.

As I can't get that locally any more for some reason, I've been having some pretty good luck mixing Squadron green stuff with non-acetone nailpolish remover.

By green stuff I presume you mean regular blue/yellow kneadanite? Or is this something else entirely?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I appreciate the input, I'll try and pick some up from the model store if (I can swing by)/get some from the Internet.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I actually started working on a project for once! :woop:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

You're right in that it is a bus, but it is a older model london bus that they used during WW1 as a troop transport. That is what I'm going eventually end up with.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

If you could dig them out, I'd appreciate it, but of it's too much effort don't worry.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Thanks for that. It does show one in a mostly original state, the reference pictures I have show them all boarded up and painted green.

I was lucky enough to ride around on Peter Jackons "replica" at a local Airshow, I have pics of that around (plus his amazing WW1 planes) if anyone is interested.

:allears: it's great to live vicariously through a rich film directors love of history.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Recently went to Japan and while I was there I decided to treat myself to a couple of Ma.k kits

Tonight I actually started to put together my Großer Hund, I only had a short gap so I all I managed to assemble was a foot.

I do actually have a question regarding the use of white putty for those in the know:

1. Is it always going to be a messy job no matter how careful I am? As you can see by the photo that there are streaks of residue all over the foot, am I being to fussy as painting will cover a multitude of sins

2. What is the best product to thin it with (that won't damage the surface of the kit)

3. Is Tamiya the best product on the market or should I go get myself some squadron putty?
(Tamiya is the easiest to get locally)

Sorry about the IPhone pics.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 10, 2012

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I'd also reccomend getting a tube of Tamiya or Squadron putty or a pot Mr.Surfacer (not sure on the number) sometimes it's a bit of a bitch to work with, but it's drat handy stuff.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I think the milliput would work well enough. You might be able to mix it with a solvent to make a more liquid filler too. Experiment!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Yep that's perfect.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

What scale?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Nebakenezzer posted:

As a gift to a Professor friend of mine, I made a tank with camouflage for bookshelves. I call it a Bibliotank.

Now I want to paint a bunch of tanks in household camo and hide them everywhere. Great job!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Never stop posting Baronjutter. I love the graffiti on your rolling stock. Could you explain your process?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

More Train goons should post in this thread. I Love model trains (even though I get to work with 1:1 train set during the week).

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Anyone know of anyone who does kits of some of the more interesting tanks out there? I am thinking Tanks of the interbellum / early WWII.

For example : T-35 or any of the Vickers tanks (Mediums Mk. I - III, Independent).

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Arquinsiel posted:

I also have that Narvik class kit I think. Revell IIRC? I've been tempted to do similar with a Pz38H35f too, since I started collecting WoT stuff in 15mil ages back.

As a I scale modeller & someone who loves some of the odder tanks of this world I probably shouldn't play WoT; it gives me so many ideas..

That being said, I am kit bashing a M3 Stuart into a T18. World of Tanks :argh:

space pope posted:

Two pack of Pz38H735f Tanks. I painted them gold because I used to play World of Tanks and the tank was initially only available if you bought it using in-game gold. It was a great way to grief players.

According to a 100% accurate and legitimate historical documentary I watched, plating tanks with gold makes them extra powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Baronjutter posted:

I know an airbrush setup is expensive but you can get much smaller paints. I feel stupid going out and buying a $10 spray can to paint a single door green.

PS
I don't know anything about airbrushes, or even how they work really. Can you get an small all in one unit or do I have to have a huge compressor and poo poo too? Whats the cheapest minimum all-in-one sort of unit I could get that would still be fine for paintin' trains?

The miniature painting thread is a good place to ask for airbrush advice. There are a lot of options out there! I am not sure what you mean by "all in one" but generally the set up includes a.) your airbrush and b.) the "air" supply.

Your supply is either from a compressor (you can get bench top ones but they tend to be pricey) or bottled. Getting a co2 tank is popular as it a dry gas and you won't need put in a moisture trap etc as you would with a compressor. As far as I'm aware it is about the same initial cost as getting a compressor setup.

It also has the benefit of being silent and unpowered, and dirt cheap to refill (they also last for ages).