Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
So, erm, I finally manned up and decided to get a start on scale modeling (military). Except that I have no idea where to start. The OP gives some useful info, but for a complete beginner like me, a lot of those stuff just fly over my head.

Can anyone recommend a nice, comprehensive guide/introduction to scale modeling? I live in Korea, which means I should have plenty of access to Japanese model kits. Just that I don't know which kit to start with, which tools are necessary, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

EvilMuppet posted:

What kind of stuff do you want to build? Anime? Manga? Realistic tanks? planes? What scale?

I'm inclined towards WWII armored vehicles, but some of them look insanely detailed and I would most likely die from frustration if I bought the wrong model. Scale doesn't really matter, but what's the best "starter" size?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Welp, I had an hell of an initiation to scale modeling. I bought a M18 Hellcat from a Korean manufacturer (Academy) and a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, along with a set of paints and some thinner.

I assembled some parts and tried to paint them. I swallowed some of that paint thinner trying to get the safety cap off with my teeth (stupid, I know). Then I tried to paint. Got the parts painted, but the clean up... I dumped the leftover paint in my bathroom sink. Now it looks like someone took a poo poo and it won't come off. What the poo poo do I use to clean the paint off?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I think these ARE acrylics O.o no label on them anyhow. No wonder I failed art back in grade school.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Not Tamiya paint, it's by Mr. Hobby or something like that.
Don't think they're water based, as thinner/nail polish/related things seem to be the only things effective on them.

Also, latest update on Archer's Hellcat Trainwreck: I managed to put the road wheel struts backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
That guy is simply badass. That naval diorama... My god. He could build museum pieces (as in real history ones)...