Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Even though its not true "assemble from a kit" here is a few things I do with model railroading... Though the detailing on 1/160 can get a little crazy I enjoy it. Here is a few pictures from one of our shows that we put on for the the library in my town for a fund raiser.

Scratch building is the most fun, next to laying track, then the electronics side, the rest is blah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Granite Octopus posted:

More trains please! When I am old and retired all of my money will be going towards this ridiculously expensive hobby. :)

Here is a video from the show we did in Council Bluffs, IA. Near the end we had our rather large module set up. That consisted of the Omaha N track club, plus Desmoines track and then a One-Track lay out... Total main line was about 220 or so foot which works out to be 6.5 scale miles give or take. I always run monster rear end long trains when I go to shows. to bad you never catch a picture of my beast. 3 Units, 100 mixed frieght cars. Rather fun to watch that thing snake along. Though it was fun running DCC, People had to duck into sidings as I came at them, there was no place where I could park my train.

You will need a job because retirement alone will not pay for all the crap you could want. I would compare this hobby to crack. sure the first couple hits may not take hold but after a while it becomes an addiction you need to feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1Wp_xR_IE Edit: fast foward to 3:30 into it, thats the start of the large layout.

FYI who's ever camera took this, they picked up every single noise in that hall... it wasn't that loud in there.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 18, 2010

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Tell me more.

Do you buy the trains unpainted but assembled and just paint/detail them or are they partially made, or ready-painted but undetailed or what?

Most models come pretty much ready to run out of box. set it on the track and go. here is a prime example of what the photo looks like
http://www.blwnscale.com/blwphotos/KA-AC4400-UPFlag.jpg

I add other details like MU cables, grab irons, add some chalks to make it look like the real thing because when you get new, they are pretty shiny and dont look at all like the real thing. Then I add a DCC Decoder, if you are wondering what DCC is here is a nice wiki
http://www.dccwiki.com/

I will take some pictures this weekend we are having a running session.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 22, 2010

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Here is a few pictures from Saturdays operation session poor quality cell phone pictures yes I know

Eastbound Southern Pacific Cab Foward Steam Excursion waiting for the westbound Milwaukee Road Passenger Train

Eastbound coal crossing over in front of the Cab Foward steam engine excursion train.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How many of you ever worked with making molds?

I need to make copies of a M1A1 tank that is sized 1/160 for my military train. The only problem is I need about 30 tanks, and at 12.99 a pop its a little high. Any chance of making a copy using a resin product for cheaper than 12.99? I don't mind doing some clean up, as long as it doesn't take more than say 15 minutes per mold.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Arquinsiel posted:

The internet says that these are a pretty good match at 1/160 scale.

Thanks! My google-fu isn't the best, but hey, those should work and at 3.99 a piece is good enough for me. Just need to load em all up on flat cars now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Baby's first decal job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

Oh god I just saw this on nscale.net
Worlds loving colliding.

I post both places, usually one for pointers the other is... easy copy paste action.