Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This thread led me to Hobby Lobby yesterday - definitely need to use that coupon, the airbrushes are expensive!

I used to do this 20 yrs ago with WWII airplanes when I was in Jr. High/H.S., mostly 1/48, got pretty good at doing it well, despite not having an airbrush. My favorite was a JU-87 Stuka with desert camo - the tan wavy curly lines with dark olive like it's under a net or something (hand painted, yet not retarded looking - in retrospect I am amazed at how it turned out). It had these huge 40mm(?) cannons on pods mounted under the wings, which I later removed and put on a 1/72 F-16 (with the scale change it made for something like 3 or 4 inch cannons!) Now I'm thinking the Tamiya 1/35 kits for WWII tanks look pretty cool. Has anyone had any experience with those? They're kind of high priced - curious if the instructions are adequate, any issues I should be aware of before I decide to drop the money on a whole kit of crap to build one...

Also saw something odd on the shelf - three Revell 1/700 battleships; Missouri, Wisconsin, and New Jersey (can't remember the exact number, but 62,63, and 64 I think...) Anyway, I looked at them for the longest time and couldn't see any difference between them. Same turrets, gun ports, radars, stacks, superstructure, recovery crane, etc. Is the only difference between them the numbers on the decals? Seems pretty cheesy (and a waste of inventory space) to do that, as they could just include the different numbers on the same decal sheet and let you choose which one to build.

Anyway, glad to be here, looking forward to see what comes up in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EvilMuppet posted:

How about Alien/s kits? I've always wanted some but never gotten around to getting any. A dropship? The Sulaco? Badass Ripley in the loader? APC, ETC, ETC. Or the one I really want but would need a license to have in my country a 1:1 model of a M41A pulse rifle!

Where do you live that you need a license for a TOY gun, let alone a make believe science fiction gun? Do kids who pick up sticks that are vaguely gun shaped and point them at someone get mandatory counseling?