Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good links or resources online for ship painting and detailing? I picked up a 1/350 scale HMS Warspite and it'll be the first model in a very long time. I've painted some WH40k stuff but nothing like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
How do you guys usually paint tiny pieces? Before you attach them to the main model or after?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is there some sort of tool you guys use to put together tiny little etched brass pieces? I cant pick these up with my fingers.

Im trying to build a pom-pom gun set in 1/350th scale and every barrel is its individual piece.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this the right place, but I don't suppose anyone has some spare waterslide decals with some random numbers on it?

I 3D printed up a king crab mech and wanted to just add some minor numbering/lettering to it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Molentik posted:

I have shitloads of German turret numbers for you, I switched to all Allied stuff so I wont use them.

The archer stuff looks nice, but could I buy just some random numbers you wont need off of you?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

It might be worth your while heading to Fighting Pirannha* and seeing if their number sheets are any good to you. Slow turnaround though, so be wary of that.

* yes... really.

I looked but they appear to be made for the actual miniatures. This things about a foot tall.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Fearless posted:

I just really want a 1/72nd scale Atlas to paint up. I love those great big lumbering ogres.

https://www.gambody.com/3d-models/mechwarrior-atlas

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

For anyone who has made one of these, how expensive is the material to print the actual models? I can't really afford to drop $400 on a good 3D printer atm but I'm curious what the cost per mech is. (I also see a lot of awesome designs on that site and just want to theorycraft my bankruptcy)

You don't need to buy your own 3d printer.

I outsourced my parts from https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprintmything/

I also printed my crab in resin, so it was a little bit more expensive. Cost me ~$175 for a resin version of the king crab, which, considering the thing is a foot tall, was decent.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

That's quite tempting. How would you compare the building process to a mass-produced scale model? Any downside to having it printed with polystyrene vs resin?

The building process was much simpler, given that the number of parts was much lower. There are some pros and cons. This particular model was designed to have all the limbs articulate. However I printed it in resin as to keep everything smoother and retain more detail without the little print lines of plastic.

HOWEVER. Resin doesn't flex. Resin is also more expensive. The ball joints that on a plastic model would easily flex a bit and join together do not in resin. I had to sand them a bit, and epoxy it. Resin is also a bit heavier, so I had to pin the arms.

I think resin was still the best choice, as theres a lot more detail, most parts are smooth with no print marks.

If you want a giant mech model (12" tall), 3d printing is the only way to go, as theres nothing else out there currently.