Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Blistex posted:

Time to give this thread another shot of, "HOLY poo poo!".

Guy scratch building a Tiger I with a twist! By the time you get to Page 14 you will never look at your scale models the same again.

Click Here!.
Oh, it's armourguy! This should be good. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GreenDragon42 posted:

p.p.s. Did you know that the RAL standard has a color number 1021 called Rape Yellow?
Rape[seed] blooms bright yellow, what of it?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Glue everything easily accessible, then paint. You don't want to paint a plane cockpit that's already glued in.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Morgenthau posted:

Or do you mean paint anything easily accessible then glue? Sticking the brush into the cockpit hole is kind of a bitch.
No, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. I meant glue the cockpit parts etc., paint everything, glue it into place so you don't have to reach into inconvenient places with a brush (wait that came out wrong).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So why the stupid thread titled? Nobody is such an idiot tha...

quote:

I also highly recommend this (though not on your holos!)

http://173.254.71.12/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=24779#.UUjXdRc3tDQ

Unlike most accelerants, it doesn't give you a headache.. it smells like strawberries. It might still kill brain cells, but at least you enjoy losing them this way.

Oh. Never mind. :doh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was going for the Enemy at the Gates "the one with the rifle shoots, the one without a rifle follows" vibe.
That one was so obvious we ignored it :cheeky:

Also, let me say that your avatar/title is awesome. :allears:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone put swastikas on their models? I've never seen a factory kit ship with decals for them included but I've seen decal sheets of just swastikas. I leave them off on anything I build since I display my models and don't really want symbols associated with racism and fascism around my house, thank you very much.
That approach in the modeling/game companies actually bugs me quite a lot. Yes, 3rd Reich was horrible, Hitler was horrible, millions of people died in death camps, we know it already. If I make a tiny German plane with the proper historical markings on it doesn't make me a Nazi. But no, let's bend over to political correctness because German laws someone somewhere might get offended by a tiny Hakenkreuz. Yeah, if I saw a whole army in swastikas, I'd be more than a bit :what: It was mainly the iron cross, and somehow no one gets offended that that still is on German tanks in some form. But hey, let's just pretend the details never existed, like a certain mini manufacturer (forgot which one) with a German halftrack covered with a half-folded Nazi flag so the swastika isn't visible and they can sell in Germany. If you don't want to offend people, why put a huge "IMANAZI" cover on that vehicle at all? :psyduck: Talk about red cloth-waving :v:

And the swastika-only sheets might be to supplement the sets that remove them to be PC.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's with the liveries? Anti-tobacco-ad laws or something?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
BTW, I'm interested what do people who're bothered by Nazi/communist insignia do with the models? Paint them without markings? Use different (which?) markings? Paint the planes as a renovated contemporary aerobatic unit? Something else? I'm curious.

ed: and now I want to assembled a WW2 German plane demilitarized/tuned/painted in bright colors as an airshow/aerobatic piece. What are you making me do threaaad :argh:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 8, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

See I used to think the same, but really Hitler was a horrible man who's administration killed millions of people in death camps and the swastika was the symbol of that ideology, not that nation.

That's where we're different. I will fight tooth and nail against PC laws, which remind me way too much of the other regime. We've had political correctness for 40 years of Soviet domination, thank you. To me the most important thing is to be aware of the history and how they (and others) could gently caress a bunch of countries and millions of people so it doesn't happen again, which is all too easy to forget when people focus on a symbol.

quote:

And you need to build Aeroflot versions of German light bomber now

:frogsiren: do it....
Got any pics?

ed: To end my derail, does anyone have any links for models of fighters-turned-aerobatic-planes and other demilitarized hardware like JN's suggestion above? I'm curious how much work would it actually involve.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Heh, nothing serious, a guy has a train diorama in his room... Oh wait... :aaaaa:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Every now and then someone comes around to remind me why I respect this hobby and at the same time think you're loving insane. This time it's a cardboard KV-1 tank. Have a good read (in Polish, but lots of awesome pics).

hull
turret
interior

ed: This is how you upgrade a stock cardboard model (yes, the chain is cardboard :stare:):

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 5, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Which kit was that? BTW, have you painted it? We demand pictures!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I know paint stuff might be slightly more suited to the miniature painting thread but that place is 99% warhams and I just like you guys better.
Oh come on, don't be shy, who would we steal weathering techniques from if not for scale modelers? :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Dude was really adamant about using the specific brand's thinner and to never use water or iso.

Nebakenezzer posted:

A caveat to that is model-master acrylic needs a acrylic paint retarder if painting through an airbrush (art supply stores will have these.) If you don't use this, it will dry inside your airbrush and clog everything up, and then you have to disassemble it and it is a huge pain

I've used 99% iso alcohol with Tamiya and had no problems. Also, if you are airbrushing with Vallejo, that stuff actually *does* need its branded thinner.

The only time Vallejo thinner makes an actual difference is when 1. you need to thin something pretty hard for airbrushing, and 2. for matt varnish, which is a tricky beast anyway so everyone recommends Testor/Model Master.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

"Does that driver know his passenger lost his head?"
War is hell.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A few issues, my rear end. Give it some plates and a good backdrop and it'll do great in impersonating a real one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Tried it. Not enough weight, believe it or not.
Depleted uranium.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Model train nerds are gross and weird. [...]
Oh, you have those too? I'm always torn between visiting railroad modelers' forums for absolutely stunning works and not having to see those people or their posts. Having a store owner explain to you a worldwide Jewish conspiracy and the history of all his divorces 5 minutes after seeing you for the first time is par for the course. What the gently caress man, I just wanted some modeling flock I don't get in wargaming stores :gonk:

Also, those large-scale architectural models with human silhouettes/models for scale: where does one get those figures?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 2, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What scale? There's a whole industry supporting architectural modelling and the scales they use. If you think model train poo poo is over priced, you ain't seen poo poo till you've explored the world of architectural modelling. A lot are just laser cut though.
So, where does one begin to explore that wonderful world of architectural modeling? :v:

(Pretty much any scale (around the smaller train scales maybe?), I'm mainly into wargaming so I was simply curious, I have way too many minis already :haw:)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

Do you have a medical diagnosis that easily explain that level of attention to details?
Exactly. What's your problem and why aren't you replicating every single nut, bolt and rivet in cardboard? :v:

VVV: But but but REALISM :qq: it'll be inferior because you'll know the bolts aren't there!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 2, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Temporary?? Man how much more detail do I have to add??
As much as there's on 1:1 scale, right down to the molecular level.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

Seems kind of silly then to have a symbol for gluing parts together....
This might be their general symbol for when you have different equipment variants - glue these together in variant A, do not glue in variant B. Or something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, this hobby definitely has a range of people in it, from "I am 12 why does this glue smell funny?" to "let me list my fleet of WWII ships to you, guy I just met in the store, ordered by nation, then by scale, then by manufacturer, also look here are pictures on my phone" crazy.
The WW2 fleet is actually a midpoint, then it goes into "let me tell you about all the divorces I had, in excruciating detail, and about the international Jewish conspiracy, random client" kind of crazy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

(is anyone familiar with the old role-playing game Twilight 2000?)
Please tell me you're making a T2000 diorama :swoon:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'll be sure to have an accurate low clearance sign for the bridge.
Make sure to include the metal "clearance checker" (not sure about the actual name?), that's banged up by trucks anyway :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Tried to use a flour method for mortar but it's too white for such an old wall and my texture wasn't deep enough to pick up the flour easily.
Use grey pigment instead of flour?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
put some flour on the painted brickwork and work it into the crevices with a big brush or something so it imitates mortar, then fix with varnish (or alternatively with whatever you fix pigments with). How close did I guess?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Had to look up what a KV-5 was, not disappointed. Needs more turrets. It's like the mother-tank is reproducing by budding tiny baby turrets.
Now go look up KV-6, it's the hive queen :black101:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bruiser posted:

Yeah, it's what the instructions called for? I'm thinking it's either anti-corrosion or anti-echoic paint.. or something.. I'm not really sure haha. I looked up other models and they had it as well.
More likely anti-fouling paint, to prevent seaweed growth, same as on surface ships.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Commissar Canuck posted:

Hey, the T-35 tank was a practical solution to the bumper crop of turrets in the Soviet Union at the time :colbert:

500% of the quota! Praise the shock workers! :ussr:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

What's the best product to use for a winter wash that doesn't use an airbrush?
Basically whatever have on hand or can scavenge/steal/barter for/etc. Broom, rag (stick optional), sponge, even a leafy branch. It'll look like poo poo but who cares as long as it gets your tank shot at less. :ussr:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I like how the cardboard gives a feel of rough brutalist concrete slabs. Carry on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

All hail the log.
Says everyone who's ever stuck their tank in mud.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fearless posted:

I seem to recall reading something about how the construction of the Swedish ship Vasa featured several different linear measuring instruments, each with creative interpretations of what a set unit of measurment would be. I think one side extends further from the keel than the other.
And it almost sailed a mile without sinking, too :allears:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 21, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's sick. It's like the paper Tiger dude :stare:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

That is just the cutest thing.

I'm not convinced.

:3:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Now paint his skin blue.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

This scale will probably take a while to finish:

I'm not sure if that's a 1:1 plastic plane, or a reduced scale everything, people, hangar and all. I need something alive and moving for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Uh, look closer?

I don't think those are model people.

I'd need at least 10x higher resolution to verify this, and I still wouldn't be certain. Scale modelers are sick :v: