Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I could say it could be worse. For models myself, I'm working on eaglemoss' build the enterprise d. But also am subscribed to agora model's leopard 2 rc tank. Both are subscription services where you get a few parts and instruction to to assembling them each month. In the case of the leopard 2 though, it is metal tracks and the instructions are for assembling them link by link. With a hammer. Lots of not so much fun. I actually have to call them as one of my track sets had a spare middle spacer in place of an end link.

I've thought about sharing it here as they are scale models. On the other hand, not exactly the same as a revell or other brand's plastic model building with painting and enjoying the aroma of cement glue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Suzaku posted:

How's Eaglemoss' quality and reliability? I've been thinking about trying a star trek kit but I don't know much about them. Are the kits a decent size?

So far, they seem fine. This is specifically eaglemoss hero collector. I have read reports that it can be touchy. And even with the bttf delorean kit, there was apparently some issues. This is my first time doing it though. I literally only jumped in because I grew up on st:tng so making a 30" long model was pretty much me going "welp, there goes $1500 spread over 2 years". One thing I don't like is that they don't have any account system. You have to email them directly concerning anything. Be it parts. Be it a pause or cancelation to the subscription. Or you moved or need to change credit cards. All of that is handled via email. This goes for the gifts as well. I've been following world of wayne on youtube to see where things are going on the enterprise (he is a few months ahead of me) and to get a preview before I dive in on the leopard 2. For him, he got a gift a few months ago from eaglemoss for the enterprise that he even got charged for. However, he never received an email about it. And eaglemoss suggested he look in his spam folder. Which he thought was funny since his email is his own domain that doesn't have a spam filter. I haven't been offered or received anything like that yet, but I'm staying aware that I may take random charges because of it. Makes it a bit sketchy.

As for the other star trek kits, afaik, those are all small diecast models. Single shot things instead of something you build. I know there is another goon here that would throw money down instantly if they offered the tos constitution enterprise as a build kit like this.

For size idea of this kit though, have a picture:

That is 6 months of work so far. I actually have the next phase here, just haven't had time to assemble it yet. Mostly adding a couple more panels and adding some frame to the cobra neck. Btw, as the cables would suggest, the windows light up. Some are blacked out similar to how not all the lights were on in the studio models.

As for the leopard 2, this is 3 months in:

I realized after uploading that I didn't put the tracks up, oh well. I'll post that up next time. It should be noted that as mentioned before, this will be a fully functional rc tank. Complete with an infrared on the barrel for shooting a target you get and a camera for a gunner's view. Another note is that the upper front plate for the hull is not bolted to that metal frame there currently. I just have it there as I've played enough WoT to identify where it should be mounted (in real life, the twin holes would be the radiator fans while the larger hole in the middle is the turret ring). It seems so complete because I'm paying for the 12 month subscription. So I'm already a fourth of the way done on the model.

A thing I do like about agora models is that they do have an account system. So you can track not just your subscriptions, but it'll break down to the individual orders as well that you can then look at. Likewise, they are very attentive I noticed as well. When I ordered initially, I didn't see any movement other than the acceptance for like a week. I got paranoid and figured it was being silly because the system had reverted back to british pounds instead of usd. Perhaps it was confused with an us address. Thus, I canceled that one and redid the order in the proper usd amount. Still nothing for nearly a month when I finally got a message from them asking if I really meant to order it twice (the cancel one was stuck on cancel pending that entire time). So I emailed back about what happened and they got me all fixed up. Been pretty happy with them.

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of the subscription kits that send you parts every month, whatever happened to the Scharnhorst build that was being done ?

I dunno about scharnhorst, but agora is currently running through the bismark. Perhaps you are thinking of her (yes, I know bismark and scharnhorst are two different ship classes). That model has a wild story apparently. Hatchett Partworks actually created it and are still finishing up their subscription for it. However, Agora then bought up the rights or whatever from hatchett and offered it up as well. Weird thing there. So the agora and hatchett bismarks are the exact same kit.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 21, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarxCarl posted:

You mentioning putting together RC Leopard tracks, caused flashbacks of the old Tamiya 1/16 scale Leopard tracks. I hope assembling Agoras is a little easier than this:

Yeah, much easier. One of the end connectors and the two rods are already connected. There is no rubber pads to install as it is already done. Also, the preassembled set includes the sprocket guide as well. So you are just doing the rod on each end and linking to the other side. There is a space piece in the middle that is connected to the rods as well.

Agora actually has their assembly instructions online. So for example, this should lead directly to the leopard tank set of work. The poster and model guide did come as a paper in the first kit, but all the instructions are only via their website. Pack 1 page 14 is the instructions for the tracks as an example. Just repeating it ad nauseam.

https://www.agoramodels.com/us/download-center-us/#six

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Looks like a normal air compressor setup. You pull the chain to initially drop the air pressure. Once you can, you then open the bottom one. That is on the bottom specifically to drain the water out. And while the air is equalizing, the air rushing out there will blow out any moisture inside the tank. You do this any time you finish using it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
For panel lines, would the panel line pens used in gunpla work? Or do they not hold well on the plastic/paint here?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There's no reason it wouldn't be fine, gunpla is plastic and paint same as other models. Just have to make sure to have a pen small enough for your panel lines and not to run over the edge.

Right, I was unsure if the type of plastic or the glossiness of it would affect it. And you can get some fine tipped pens due to the size of the models and thus the panel lines you are working. Anyway, was just asking/suggesting concerning the discussion earlier with panel lining an instrument cluster.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You're still going to be way better off using a traditional wash though for something like an instrument panel purely for the capilliary action to get into all the nooks and crannies, plus you can always remove mistakes with thinner. Not sure if you can even clean up the gunpla pens, I just smelled mine (:downs:) and it didn't smell alcohol based.

They have erasers. And there are flow pens. Oh well, my mind has this tiny instrument cluster where getting a brush into without hitting the rest would be difficult. But that is me and perhaps brush sizes have improved. I'll admit the last time I did that kind of plastic modeling was the 80s. And my current model work is.. a different breed. I'll post an update once I get the work done (parts are here, just been busy with other things).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Month 4 for the agora models leopard 2a6 done.

I have to be careful of the time I put together the parts due to the tracks requiring a hammer for assembly which isn't a good idea to wield late at night in an apartment. If you look in the lower right corner, you can see the linkage parts that need to be assembled together for making the tracks. Those are currently spares that I suspect will come back to being needed on assembling the last pads together for a full loop. There are three of each for every pack.

Need to catch up on the enterprise d next though. I'm already 2 months behind with it. For some reason, I'm more excited for the leopard though. I guess because it'll be an rc vehicle when it is done instead of a light up display like the enterprise.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarxCarl posted:

Those tracks look good. If you're going to run it, I suggest putting some super glue on the outside of the track pieces you hammer on, oval piece with the 2 holes. I had to do that on my Tamiya tracks to keep those pieces on. Or maybe do the maiden run in doors on carpet where you can find them if they fly off? Think I lost all but a few of my spares before I did that. That was 40 years ago, so maybe the tech is better.

I'll keep that in mind. But of note though, the perfect oval piece is a middle spacer part that floats. There is a gap in each of the sections where it sits while linked to the two rods. The one with the pinched side is an end connector. One is already put on at the factory with two rods. And you are left to thread it through the pad, that spacer oval, the rest of the pad, and then into the other connector that requires a hammer. It seems to be a tight fit for now judge from the jostling around I've done.

Also, I should have mentioned the time table on this project. Agora Models is a subscription type thing. As such, this all the parts I've been given so far. I'm paying for a 12 month subscription for it (there is a 24 month option as well with half the parts per month). Thus, I'm on month 4 of 12. Gonna be a lot more to add to those tracks assuming that is both the left and right side are being assembled in sync.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This isn't exactly plastic models. Just a perspective to look like that. Still thought it would be fun to share for inspiration for anyone.

https://mymodernmet.com/tetris-challenge-ognyan-stefanov/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

After staring at this for about a minute I realized the gear are similar enough and the holes enough bigger than they need to be that it wasn't gonna make a difference, but for a hot moment my brain was making audible modem noises. Thanks, Academy.

Not a bad kit, all considered. It's a notch above the 1:72 airfix plane kits, I think.

D3 + d4 is the left while d5 +d6 is the right..

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Yes, it's very clear that the part numbers in parens , D5+D6, are for the right side, but then the left wing of the plane is labeled "right."

Oh, I just viewed it as more labels instead of actual left and right. Could have been labeled abe and cdf for the same effect. Sorry I missed that part completely.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
According to the troops on the ground, germany had many tigers on the western front.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

What I've seen before on Japanese twitter and infuriatingly can't find now are mini dioramas with a circular loop of track around them, mounted on a turntable that's set to spin in the opposite direction of the train so it effectively runs on the spot while the diorama moves around it. Not quite wall mountable but shelf friendly at least.

Edit: Found it! If you look on their account they have a lot of examples of crazier setups but this is the basic one.
https://twitter.com/Btoretsukuru/status/1472043816547135489?t=kJEJNMwLI_Ipxz5vp6w8Ng

That is z scale right? That would make sense for sure.

Another option perhaps that would be more of a shelf thing is a sectional layout design. Again with n or z scale. The idea of sectional is you making a small piece like, say, a few straight lines between some industries so you have some activity in it. But designed such that those lines can hook into another section in the future to make a larger layout. Rinse and repeat. It can even be for yourself as much as for a club. For now in your apartment, you'd have a section to play with. But, once you move to a larger space, you can make another section and link them. And so on.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Another option too since I mentioned the sectional that I forgot about might be a project like this:

https://www.noch.com/briefcase-layouts

Not saying buy one of those, but another idea to look at when talking of something small that you can store away for apartment living.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Holy crap youtube found a neat little diorama. The person took a ekranoplane model and made a diorama of it in a similar situation as one does in real life. Up on a beach. This includes rusting up the model along with building the beach scene it resides on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxD0XVecRM

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sash! posted:

A small engine terminal wouldn't take up a whole lot of space, depending on what sort of area you'd be willing or able to go with. Not much more moving around than shuttling between the inbound track, processing, storage (if needed), and moving to the ready track, but still something. The Europeans, especially English, do more of this style than North Americans, in part because of the size difference between our equipment (a British 2-10-0 of the 1950s was considered enormous at 66 feet long and is the largest they have to contend with. A North American locomotive of the same wheel arrangement was 82 feet long and average sized.).

So I went looking for shunting plans and there is a very pervasive layout that keeps coming up. Called the Inglenook Shunting Puzzle. The idea is set up where you have 3 tracks. One holds 3 wagons, and the other two sidings hold 2 wagons each. Or rather, each of those spots has a maximum capacity. The output track spot can hold the shunter and 5 wagons. The goal is basically without using the hand of god (you can't physically rearrange the wagons), to see if you can rearrange the wagons out of the yard to a specific order on the main line. You can either just sit down and play out whatever idea hits you or do something like dice to roll for the order you try.

Here is a website with all kinds of information about it as I mentioned. The cool thing is that you can open track the operation as I mentioned earlier. The end track where you marshal out can be set up to connect to another section in the future if pursue it. You can even go further and the spur with the 3 wagon capacity could be connected as well to be a mainline that you then have to shunter dance the other cars in and around.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I did not know that! That is good to know. That explains a lot really.

Unrelated to minis, I just saw this mega model of the Avro Lancaster that looks amazing. 1/32nd scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIGlkRWB38

Holy mother of god. As soon as he pulled out that sprue with the cabling, my brain noped right out of that. I still have nightmares of an old kit to build the atlas rocket and launch tower. You had to glue bits of pipe end to end to make full pipes for the tower. And I could never get the darn things to actually stay together. That kit got lost to time and I legit don't even remember who made it as I was like, 10 years old.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Anyone else in the thread doing the Hachette/Agora models Bismarck, or Titanic?

Hello! Sadly, while the titanic interests me some, I'm still too neck deep in the leopard 2a6 model from them to worry about the titanic. I also am unsure where I'd display it once finished if I had bought either. Been watching world of wayne's build of the bismark and it has been pretty cool though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Is that a feeder container ship? Because that does not look like the kind of seas you want or should be in with any container ship really, especially a feeder.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I've been a car modeler for years but I've had a hankering for something a little different lately. Does anyone know if there are scale model kits for electric guitars and basses? I'm guessing probably not but drat it would be sooo cool because I love instruments as much as cars.

It's probably something that would need to be 3D printed. Which is fine because while I would love to assemble a kit, I'm mainly interested in painting it. I don't have a 3D printer does anyone know of any 3D printing services?

Quick google search says they do exist. For example:
https://store.axeheaven.com/products/fender-stratocaster-miniature-guitar-model-kit-build-your-own-officially-licensed

Lego has a stratocaster kit if you are into Legos as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Always cool to see people making crazy dioramas. Last stand of Yamato diorama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1hMUTG48kw

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It isn't the ghost of kyiv, but it is still a diorama mocking the war. How about one of the damaged Moskva.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmkkIdpbQY

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

tidal wave emulator posted:

It probably helps that Tamiya (and Bandai and all the other v high quality kit companies) do their own tooling and injection moulding in-house, which makes it easier to tweak and test tools. The designers can work closely with the toolmakers to ensure injector pins don't get in the way and so on.

Lots of companies (I'm looking at you, Airfix) outsource all their toolmaking to India or China, and so it can be months for the designers to wait for the latest revisions of their tools to be cut then test shots moulded and shipped across the world for them to check and then request changes. It's fairly likely that outsourced toolmakers wouldn't be as familiar with the subject matter as in-house, and that's probably how you end up with enormous injector pins in really inconvenient places.

Don't forget too that because of that lead time, each mold is run longer reducing fitment due to wear. While tamiya bandai swap out molds more often as they age.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There is a reason gunpla has been growing as a hobby. Woking models from layers of snapfit pieces is pretty tight tolerance requirements from the molds.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Is that an a-44? Gotta say, I got confused for a minute as I thought I was in the WoT tanks thread.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Horrible premonitions of my armor collection in a few years.

https://twitter.com/RanRanRan01110/status/1551497902916501504

For some reason, the dude with the white shorts standing on his sherman was a lad wearing just the white shorts. Had to zoom a bit (on phone atm) to notice it was a uniform. Mildly disappointed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Remember that britain wasn't the only nation that toyed all forward guns. France also did it. However, instead for 3x triples, they went for 2x quads.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fearless posted:

Did the French quad mounts have the same reliability issues as the King George V class? It took the British a couple of years worth of mechanical and instructional modifications to really get those working well.

I'm unsure. I only know it existed because of them being in wows and just knowing they weren't napkin drawings. At least in the dunkerque class, if memory serves, the quads were treated like a pair of twins joined together.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Speaking of decals, this was posted in the train thread:

Vaporware posted:

I was buying some intermodal decals the other day and laughed at the homer/Foamer graffiti decal they sell.

https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/products/Railroad-Graffiti-S-1-64-Scale-Decal-Set-p456255021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I googled "Andy's hobby" because I don't think I'd heard of it, and found this:

:crossarms:

I choose to assume this was a Nazi experiment to weaponize bees. This was the deployment vehicle.

Went looking as it didn't look like a beehive and seem rather dumb.

quote:

To further upgrade the Pionier Kompanien (English: Engineer companies), they were equipped with new Pionier Fahrzeuge (English: Engineer vehicles). These were vehicles intended to remove any obstacles and barricades. The first variant was called the Panzer I mit Abwurfvorrichtung (English: Panzer I with explosive charge dropping device). The Abwurfvorrichtung variant transported a 50 kg explosive charge which would then be dropped from an extended arm onto the target. At first, these were only used by Panzer Battalion 38 but, in 1940, a production order for 100 additional vehicles was given. These would be issued to the newly formed Panzer Pionier Kompanien (English: tank engineer companies) in specialized Zerstörungszüge (English: Destruction platoons) with 5 vehicles each. They participated in the invasion of France, where their performance was adequate for their intended role.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/germany/panzer_i_ausfb.php#index35

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Have to be careful the imported car is designed for correct sided driving though. Or the lights will be focused on blinding the oncoming drivers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Also, if not onvious, sla printing, curing, and cleaning need to be done in a well ventilated area.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Use some mineral oil or soap on the peg to lubricate it a little? Also, I think someone built it in the gunpla thread so could ask there for advise as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh hey, World of Wayne got a tour of airfix's manufacturing. And also for the unveiling of their 1/24th spitfire mk9 model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOdBfiFemyk