Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Godspeed, boatbuilders. Keep us updated! I love reading about the level of care and craft that goes into these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

The Locator posted:

Speaking of ships, I picked up my next wooden ship kit today.

1:1 scale, I take it?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Haven't heard from our resident boat builders in a while, any updates?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I made a 1:48 Beaufighter from Tamiya. I love the Beaufighter's straightforward, pugilistic look and my grandfather flew the aircraft in the Burma theatre; this is painted to look like one of the aircraft he flew. I haven't done any scale modelling since I was a kid, so this was a great chance to rediscover the hobby. A modeller friend helped with advice and supplies. I'm really happy with how it turned out- the weathering is subtle but it was a lot of fun adding streaking and soot here and there.

My Grandfather's aircraft after a nasty flak hit. I could see from the photos it was 'U for Uncle' and the serial numbers started with KW. I went to the RAF archives and found the squadron's daily log book and found the entry that mentioned the sortie and aircraft flown. My friend had a sheet of RAF markings so I could make the custom KW401. We didn't have a white U, so I cut the top off a grey O and used it as a mask.

Guess I'm into building scale models again...

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Arquinsiel posted:

That's one of the reasons I love the lovely Airfix "HO/OO" kits. They're terrible, but in interesting ways that tell you something about the history of the one tank in Bovington that Airfix used as a reference model. Knowing how and why they ended up wrong is itself interesting.

I found that with my Beaufighter. There's a museum piece where they installed the horizontal stabilizers on upside down or something, because the actuators are on the dorsal side instead on the ventral. The kit dutifully copies this, so I cut them off and rebuilt them

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I hate to ask this because it might sound stupid, but is this the same Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame?

Yes, he's a huge WW1 buff

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just about the only thing I did buy in a large batch were the AK 3rd Gen Acrylics. I bought 3 bottles at a local store, and loved them instantly. They've performed better than any hobby paint I've ever used. Great on the brush, go down smooth, very opaque, separate less in the bottle than any paint I've seen. I ordered a bunch of the sets from AK's website after that, and they've all been great. Now that AK has expanded the line into military colors, and pre-thinned airbrush paints, I'm looking at make AK 3rd Gen my primary paint, and will fully replace the Vallejo over time with AK.

Interesting, a friend of mine said something similar. I don't have many paints and I was curious if I should go AK compared to the Vallejo model air

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What a beaut, fantastic work

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
My last kit was Tamiya and I'm currently building a CAC Boomerang by Special Hobby. It's such a typical limited run kit and a shocker after Tamiya. No guide pins, inconsistent thickness of parts, mismatch between the parts and instructions and just awful fit. They clearly put a lot of effort in, but it's baffling where they chose to devote their time and resources.
Instead of two small ports on each wing for the 30 cals, you have to put in a rectangular resin piece with the gun barrels molded. Nicer detail, but it doesn't fit (of course) and will leave an obvious raised section unless you really carefully fill it in and sand it.
They include a fully molded resin engine, with all the cylinders, that you'll see ~25% of when all it's all built. The air and exhaust piping is all there but of course they don't fit (too short). Worst of all, the fuselage won't close around it, so you either have to file down the cylinders or expand the fuselage to fit. I chose the latter option, as it also closes up the massive gaps at the wing roots.

The gap required to make the engine fit and wing roots close up:

Added 1mm styrene sheet to each side and carved it to fit:

I know it's the price to pay for these rarer aircraft, but it's going to be a while before I go near a limited run kit again

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

tidal wave emulator posted:

I've often thought it interesting to compare Special Hobby and Eduard and their business models. I imagine they must be similar-sized companies, both Czech, and they collaborate frequently but look at how many new (and hugely niche) kits Special Hobby brings out, whereas Eduard bring out a couple of new kits a year, and when they do it's never anything particularly outside of mainstream.

Eduard invest in quality of fit, accuracy etc, aiming to get towards Tamiya buildability, and in so doing need to focus on (mostly) pretty mainstream subjects (Mustangs, Hellcats and so on) in order to sell enough to make a return on the few new tools they produce. My understanding is that Tamiya's scale model division is effectively subsidised by their RC cars as that's where they actually make their money.

Special Hobby on the other hand know they won't sell that many of e.g. an obscure late war japanese air force transport aircraft, and so probably can't afford to spend years perfecting it and cutting new tools until it's just right. They have to move on and produce the next niche kit they can sell a thousand units of. Sword are probably in a similar position in this respect.

Challengers from Ukraine like Dora Wings, Clear Prop! and Modelsvit are giving the Czech manufacturers a real run for their money now though, coming out with kits comparable to the big boys.

Yeah, I'd be curious to see the business end of things like ROE for limited run kits. From what I've heard mold making is the primary up-front cost, do I'm guessing Special Hobby go with 'good enough ' to last for the short production run. Anyone know how large a 'limited run' production actually is? No more than a couple thousand? It is frustrating how you have to turn to these smaller companies for anything slightly niche, as everyone else is churning out the millionth Bf-109 variant.

Eduard got their start in photo etch accessories and still seem like the one of the biggest players, so I wonder if that income stream helps fund their kits as well.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Jonny Nox posted:

Night Shift’s stippling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpD0ZSQIPyk

Edit: this was supposed to be an “Omar’s Walkin’” joke, but internet

I like Night Shift and this is a good example of his focus on breaking up homogeneity on a model with things like texture and colour. It always looks way over the top at first, but the final effect is subtle and "realistic"

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Trumpeter makes a rivet marking tool that's decent. I cut down the plastic guard on mine so I could see the wheel on the surface better

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Until you base coat it and it turns out it's still visible :ssh:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Some I’m watching old, old monster mania model videos and they showed a technique I haven’t seen before of using pastels to make shading effects by grinding it up on sand paper then brushing it on to the figures surface. Is that still something useful to use or has the ease of getting an airbrush superseded that for shading purposes?

I don't know about shading, but using powders is a common way of adding weathering. I have some I use for smoke, dust and grime

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Backlogtober has inspired me to finally move my modeling stuff out to our backyard shed/office and start working on this 1/48 CAC Boomerang that I haven't touched in a year. I doubt I'll finish it by the end of the month at this pace, but I'm really enjoying modeling again.

Currently scratch building cowl flaps, because the resin ones in the kit are poor and don't fit

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Unkempt posted:

Backlogtoberfest update!

gently caress that thing.

Just watch Plasmo's recent build of the Felixstowe and pretend you did it: https://youtu.be/C0xAhcHXZLI?si=4-3nmAzomSfDIh4G

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Finally had some time and motivation to resurrect my Boomerang build. Like much about this kit, the cowl flaps don't fit (thanks, Special hobby), so I scratch built some out of thin styrene sheet. Now to wrangle the canopy on so I can start painting.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

stealie72 posted:

How the hell do I paint link and length tracks?

I have a related question. I have a model airplane that has windows behind the pilot. These need to be mounted after painting that section of the fuselage but I'm worried about getting a good bond or damaging the paint by using extra thin cement. I also can't leave a bare section as it would be visible around the rim of the glass.

Is the best option could to hold it in with a clear glue like Micro Crystal Kleer or small drops of PVA?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Thanks all, will report back

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I also did some more tests with the corrugated sheet maker now that I received some more supplies. Alcan Heavy Duty Kitchen Foil on the left, and K&S Metals 0.002" Stainless foil on the right. So as seems logical, standard kitchen foil will do in a pinch, heavy-duty kitchen foil works very nicely, and the K&S stainless foil works the best. I assume most heavy-duty foil is pretty much the same, so if you can't get Alcan than any brand will likely do. The K&S foil is available at lots of LHS and online shops, and of course Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Metals-6030-Annealed-Stainless/dp/B0006N6W5S/

Night Shift made a bending jig for corrugated metal by gluing sections of round styrene rod to thick plastic sheet, evenly spaced depending on the size of corrugations he needed. He put lead or other metal foil sandwiched in between two of these and applied pressure to bend the foil to shape.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

grassy gnoll posted:

In today's wideo, I cut finger.

I build new finger from epoxy putty

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm the Dirve sprocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

stealie72 posted:

Cut to neurotech using a tiny hammer and tiny nails to frame a hut using coffee stirrers epoxied together and cut down to be scale 2x4x12s.

Actually, using some balsa sticks as framing wood and. . . .glue? to actually frame a tiny building sounds weirdly relaxing.

Night Shift showed that styrene strips scraped with a wire brush makes a very convincing wood grain effect, and it's easier to glue and paint than wood