Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I don't really want to "avoid rigging" it's actually the part that most interests me. As far as what types of ships, I like the classic Age of Sail era, mid-to-late 18th century to early 19th.

The pinnace isn't bad, even if it has no rigging, I suppose.

E: Nah, you're right. I'm just going to wait and get the Sherbourne when I have time to work on these things.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I made a model boat!

:haw:

E: It's even made of very, very thin wood!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That AT-ST is one of the most amazing models I've ever seen.

Reading MSW build logs is a great time waster, but I kind of wish they had the page number drop down like SA does so I could skip ahead. The planking stuff is neat, but I don't need 12 pages of updates with every single plank being a new update.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Actually they do, it's just presented differently. Click on the page number listing, and it pops up a 'jump to page' dialog.

Of course, if you are an awesome person like me, you just put an index in your first post with links to all the different parts of the build. :smug:

Thank you!

I'm reading this guy's 92-page build thread of the Connie and it just goes on forever about every plank he adds.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Huh. Quite a lengthy debate spreading in to multiple threads on MSW about steelers/drop-planks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Throbbing blob posted:

If anyone is interested, I can take more pics of some of the other models, or try and answer questions about sailing ships or ship models.

Do you really have to ask?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

alucinor posted:

I just picked up a 1:12 scale project which I'm going to attempt to customize.

It's currently just the wooden superstructure. I'm going to need to do some repairs and reshaping before finishing the exterior, then I'll have to construct a lot of hand-made fittings for the interior so it's historically accurate.

Is discussion on that interesting/appropriate for this thread?

It's a dollhouse: http://i.imgur.com/RRaAPHK.jpg

Plank up the sides and then rig a mast to the top.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Do they have to be plastic? There are a ton of MDF ones available.

E: Actually, for plastic: http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/individual-sprues-and-bases

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Those'd be perfect but would cost me twice as much for the shipping. I was thinking of something you could get in a hardware store. What're the MDF ones you were thinking of?

I'm a big fan of Gamecraft Miniatures, but I did a Google search for "MDF bases" and came up with tons of them. So depending on where you need them shipped, check through a few.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Some good stuff here: http://gizmodo.com/incredible-scale-models-of-war-scenes-from-world-war-i-1736469424

I especially like the U-Boat surfacing

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Speaking of Facebook, here's a video of model cranes building model cranes:

https://www.facebook.com/alhrf.alnatq/videos/955533104479128/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Is this Hi-Mock month!?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There sure are a lot of little parts in this Hi-Mock kit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Yea, so far I've stuck to purchasing kits of ships without coppered hulls. I've gone through a lot of build logs and it just looks incredibly tedious and painful. Also, I really just don't like the looks of the coppered hull compared to a nice natural finish (even if it's correct to copper).

You are kind of nuts to take on a Vic cross section at the same time as the full scale model AND a giant Tiger tank. Good luck!

The problem I always have with the coppered models (and many others, really) is they're always perfectly clean and shiny, which might have been the case on the day of launch, but certainly wouldn't have lasted.

And actually I don't think even the day of launch, because that's when they'd be oxidized the most.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Greyhawk posted:

Yeah, I plan on artificially aging the copper with a vinegar-ammonium-salt mixture.

God bless you! God bless the hell out of you!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On the Hi-Mock, am I understanding these instructions correctly that most of it does not need to be glued, unless there's that little symbol that looks kind of like a sticker being peeled back?

I don't know a lick of Japanese, but I found this site that seems to say that: http://www.mech9.com/2009/10/meaning-of-the-symbols-found-in-a-bandai-model-kits-manual.html

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 7, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ah, perfect then.

Been a while since I've built anything other than little plastic and pewter mans.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

1st place in surface ships & Best Ship. Pretty good day.

Nice!

Also, this Hi-Mock is fun. I could get addicted to these things.

E:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 8, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Good news: a bunch of the kits for the current-airing Gundam show are going for $8 on Hobbysearch, which means they'll probably be sold shipping-free by Amazon retailers for $10-12. HGs in general tend to go for $10-20, and MGs are only ~$30, so it's a cheap enough addiction to have. :v:

Sure, but then there's all those weapons and accessories....

They're little Gundam Barbie dolls.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Molentik posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but if you make a tank significantly lighter for example by removing the turret, would it be faster? Or is that more of a transmission/suspension thing?

That's pretty much exactly what they did with tank destroyers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why they don't just mount the sort of weapons they give gundams to kill each other on something much smaller and cheaper like a tank. But I guess that doesn't make good anime.

Same question I always had with Battletech, as much I love it. Why develop these amazing weapon systems and then put them on the most vulnerable platform around, one that can be knocked out by taking off a leg?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Both of those are great. I haven't even finished the assembly on mine, so I am pretty sure that getting it done by the end of the month (i.e. tomorrow) is just not going to happen. Oh well.

I built mine (see previous posts), but have done nothing since. I had some ideas, but no real time with work ramping up (I work at a ski resort - it's opening time).

So mine will probably also be late.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Speaking from the Historicals thread, maybe rather than a single mini, we could paint a small squad of something. Warlord Games lets you buy a couple of sprues for cheap!

E: You know, make Crap Diorama or whatever.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Actually, another nice thing about Crap Diorama is you can use a bunch of junk/parts/models that you've had just sitting around doing nothing. Like a stew of models.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Now I want to make one for Mercia

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ensign Expendable posted:

I kinda wanted to get the massive 1:16th full interior Trumpeter T-34, but I ruined it for myself by getting the 1:48th scale version where all the details are the same, but smaller. Oh well, maybe I'll find another massive tank I like.

C'mon, Tovarisch! You can never have too many T-34s!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Amazon doesn't seem to have either version of that model on Prime. I suppose I could get it from some random shop.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They did use buried tanks as gun emplacements, although I'm not sure about the Nazis.

Did Israel do that at one point?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Congratulations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Motion to add it to the modelling dictionary.

Seconded.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Can we do an XB-70 for the next craplane?

E: So many options: http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Ships don't have camouflage, they are wood, with cannons and sails. :colbert:

Except that time HMS Surprise camouflaged itself like a whaling ship.

Or all those merchant vessels who painted fake cannon ports on themselves.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Fair points, but I wouldn't really call that camouflage so much as misdirection. They aren't trying to hide or make the ship harder to actually spot, they are trying to fool the observer into thinking that they are something different, either to lure people in close (Surprise) or to scare off would be attackers (fake gun ports).

Also, I was just trying to be a funny jerk since I have no idea how people get amazingly good splinter camo on more modern ship superstructures.

You made me look something up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_camouflage#Early_use

Apparently the Romans did actually use camouflage on their ships.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hey you.

Good job.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Some of us live in climates where spraying primer is not always possible. I've had great luck with the Vallejo stuff, and when it runs out, maybe I'll try that stynylrez stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator: What do you use to cut out replacement parts on your ships? I broke the gunwale on the clipper, and I want to finish it.

Band saw? Exacto?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That Tomcat, woah.

Do you computerize it so it dopes things a certain way? Like, on display oin front of a video, banking, turning, landing, taking off, &c.?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's even an entire company that does nothing but Lego lighting: http://www.brickstuff.com/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It blends in to the sky when looking from below, and aging bananas when looking from above!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Holy moly. I want to live in that room.