Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Anyone have an experience with the harbor freight air compressors? from what I see on their website they don't have the fancy regulators. I really need a quiet, cheap compressor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Theres a diference between silent and quiet, the compressor at work is small but you can't have a conversation in the same room as it, I don't want that. Something around 65 dBs (conversation level) so I can run it out on my balcony and not annoy my neighbors.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I just averted ruining a perfectly shaded model while I was washing/weathering and panel lining, It has a future coat (maybe its not thick enough?or still not fully dry?) and I was using a simple water/acrylic/tiny bit of FF wash to start. At the beginning it was working fine then as I went on (working in patches) I started having to rub real real hard to get the excess off, finally it got to where no amount of rubbing would remove the excess. So now I have a fairly decent sized part of my model that I have to repaint and I dunno what I did wrong some parts the wash went totally through the ff coat, and into base coats.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
its already repainted, I'm just going to get some cheap oil based paint,no risk of it touching future and I can wipe on wipe off forever with turpentine.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
it also depends on the paint I've had some bad reactions with isopro and Vallejo game color at least for use in an air brush. Also I went and did a enamel wash on the model I almost ruined, worked nice but what do I use for a final satin/dull coat?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Here's my first model and first time using an air brush, still needs a dull coat and I'm trying to decide if I'm done weathering it. Not concerned with color accuracy or scale to much just learning/refining techniques.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I just chuck a needle into my pin vise or use the back of an xacto blade that the very tip has been broken off of for scribing.

Anyways taking closeups only shows me more areas where I need to work on improving.

1/48th scale

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
try years. (subject to a good seal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
apartment fire melted everything, guess I get to do a better job next time around.