Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

This thread was a great find! I appreciate the talent and dedication that's gone into some of this stuff.

A few years ago, when I first got into the Air Hogs Aero Ace biplanes, I wanted an aircraft carrier for them to land on.

The Lexington, CV-2, was the logical choice.

It's mostly cardboard. The working catapult (shown launching an Aero Ace) is made from a toy foam glider launcher from the 99 cent store.

alcyon posted:

Hah! Buy me plat and I'll tell!

Alcyon, did that cheap slob ever buy you your plat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

alcyon posted:

Haha, that carrier is both hilarous and awesome. How long is it 4, 5 feet or something?

And to answer your question: No sir, he did not and I am deeply hurt and offended.

Well I never. Cakefool, you embody the lie.

Alcyon, I harbor a soft spot for builders who make their own tools and work from scratch. Your attention to detail is insane. Therefore, I have purchased your well-deserved platinum upgrade for you. Just tell me where to send it.

The model Lexington is about 10 feet long (roughly 1/72 scale) and is roughly to scale for the wingspan of the Aero Ace.

This is the Saratoga, CV-3, Lady Lex's sister, playing catch with biplanes. :3

Fun Fact: The Lexington and the Saratoga had mahogany decks!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

alcyon posted:

Wait... Ten feet? As in fit to be used as a coffin after death?

I once met a builder that built a carrier for his 1/144 Zeros, that was already insanely huge. Can't imagine this being twice that size.

Most generous of you buying me plat. No need, but tell you what: since we are all in such a giving mood, I'll repay the favor and give 15$ to a charity of your choosing.

Dear sir: gently caress Charity, and give her my kind regards. Donate your money to the hobby store, please.

I never saw a ten foot long coffin. But yeah, look at the people nearby. Plus, it folds down!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Xenomrph posted:

I found out that the top one with the little pilot dude was made by MiG Productions, and the bottom one is from Maschinen Krieger. I managed to pick up one from eBay the other day, in fact. It's called a "Krote":

It was $50 and it's 1/20 scale. It hasn't arrived yet but it looks like it'll be a fun kit to build.

I love wacky WWII alternate-history occult super-science poo poo, and while it turns out that those aren't strictly WWII models, they match the design aesthetic enough and I think they look really cool.

These mecha are about the most beautiful models I have ever seen. Waiting for updates from Alcyon is what keeps me watching this thread. <3

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Keket posted:

Do what i do, build it inside a pizza box, keeps all the little bits if you drop them, helps keep everything easy to move, and you can spray it in there.

I love this idea! Thank you! I'm always saving pizza boxes, too, for the cardboard. (I like to model in cardboard.)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Midjack posted:

What do you do about the grease? :gonk: I favor boot trays myself.

Sometimes you get lucky and get a box with little to no grease. Otherwise, cut the top off another box and line it. That gives you greater thickness for a cutting surface, too.

What's a boot tray? (Barefoot hippie)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hasegawa's new Su-33, for the masters of masking tape!

Wait, where is the picture? I wanna see a Russian jet crafted out of masking tape! :(

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Vaporware posted:

I've been building a vinyl kit lately and it's a total PITA to figure out without any instructions. Quite a challenge, but sofar it's been fun. I only have a few parts I haven't quite figured out yet. It's apparently a recast, but I got it for free so I don't feel bad. (don't buy recasts! but if your friend gives you one...)

Is that a Marshydog? :3:

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Gooch181 posted:

I am getting annoyed by the hair-like strands of glue that sometimes find themselves branching between my finger and the model. Is this just because I have lovely glue, or is there a method for dealing with glue troubles?

Try not to get glue on your fingers, and drop whatever you doing and clean it off when you do. Oh, all the clear canopies I smudged before I learned this. :(

Save that stringy glue, too. It can be used for all sorts of stringly projects. Recreate Shelob's lair, for instance. Maybe make rigging on a teeny little ghost ship, if you can get it to behave well.

I remember I had this one tube of Testor's, back when it was REAL glue. When it was near the end, the stuff would come out as a sluggish, heavy-skinned ball that could be manipulated. I took a tiny origami boat I made that was about a quarter of an inch long (I had to use a pair of straight pins to finish it), and pushed it into a ball of the stuff, and cut it off the end of the tube, and I had a wee magic crystal ball that foretold of ocean voyages!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Epi Lepi posted:

I've been working on the Revell Charles W. Morgan plastic kit and I got up to the rigging stages and holy poo poo, how do I go about doing this?? It took me 20 minutes to do just part of the bowsprit rigging and I can't get it to stay tight and not look like poo poo, probably going to have to cut the thread and start over. Any advice?

I'd have to see where you're at to help, but one bit I can offer is to tie a temporary thread or two across all the masts to help maintain spacing so they don't flex out of position as you rig.

Such a pretty ship! http://www.tomlytle.com/Resources/SHIP_CWM.jpg

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Epi Lepi posted:

I just don't get the basics of how to do this. Should I be trying to knot all the thread or should I be trying to hold it with dobs of glue? Is this something that's much easier to do with tweezers and tools? I could just use some basic tips or like an instruction video or something.

Needlepoint tweezers are a huge help. Learn how surgeons tie stitches. Dab glue on your knots when you get them tied.

Maybe this video will help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-h8i4LtPM

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Epi Lepi posted:

I said earlier that I was working on the Revell Charles W. Morgan model. Thankfully they have the instruction sheet online so I can ask this question easier: http://www.revell.de/manual/05094.PDF

I got up to step 53 and I'm fine until then, some stuff was tricky but I got it good enough. I'm looking at the next few steps though and I don't understand how I'm supposed to do them with the sails on? These steps where I'm supposed to tie into the hitches on the deck of the boat are tough enough as it is, but they seem impossible with all the sails in the way, not to mention the pictures make it look like the ropes are going through where the sails are? Are these optional steps for if you don't put up sails?

Ok, I see what's going on. Take a look at step 71. You can see the ropes that go 'through' the sails are actually somewhat loose. They pass under the sail. They're sheets, ropes for adjusting the sail angle. On a real ship, those sheets brush the underside of the sail when the sail is limp, but are out of the way when the sail is full.

However, the attachment point under where sail "K" goes... that looks funny. That diagram doesn't jive with the last diagram in step 71.

Here's a picture of the actual rigging, if it helps.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Epi Lepi posted:

Finished my Revell Charles W. Morgan kit! Rigging was one hell of a bitch, but I'm looking forward to my next ship. This was my first experience with a model that wasn't made by Games Workshop so it was definitely a neat experience.

Ship ahoy! Now get a little Captain Morgan figure for it :3

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

yaffle posted:

I think this goes here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIsvW_yhhjs

What are the little duct flap thingies for? Do you believe those tiny displays? I had an image in my head of Buzz and Woody climbing into it when no one was looking and going for a joyride (toyride):3

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

who cares posted:

I finished my Corsair a few days ago.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/zdsft

This was my third model and my first airplane. I loved building it and plan on doing more WWII planes in the future.

We are poor little lambs who have lost our way, baa, baa, baa. :3

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Olloth! :3

Edit:

No Pun Intended posted:

More Train goons should post in this thread. I Love model trains (even though I get to work with 1:1 train set during the week).

I'd enjoy reading more about that, if you don't mind. Is there a 1:1 choo choo thread?

Sun Dog fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 2, 2013

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Does anyone still build/collect Maschinen Krieger kits? I found this Falke at a thrift store:

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

EdsTeioh posted:

God, that's such an awesome model; I've been after one forever. Nice score!

Well, it intimidates me a bit, so it'd just go into the closet if I kept it. I was hoping someone specifically wanted it, so help me send it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

EdsTeioh posted:

Whachoo want for it?

Well, if you had an old Omnichord you didn't want anymore, my world would be complete. Barring that, you can pay what I paid ($5), put a little gas in my car, and pay the shipping, and we'll call it a day. Where will it ship to?