Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Tamiya paints would definitely be labeled, though...did you get one of those Testors themed sets (e.g. aircraft, cars, etc)?

Tamiya paint is more or less impossible to brush unless you use retardant or thinner. At least, that seems to be the case with most of the colors. Some of them behave differently and I have no idea why. It's really a pain in the rear end because I have no desire to airbrush everything.

Just about the only thing I use enamels for is special effects. I also use them to "dot" tiny things like indicator lights or buttons inside aircraft cockpits because the consistency of the paint works well for this, and the pigmentation is more intense.

One example of an enamel paint special effect is Masa Narita's technique for cockpit instruments, which you can see in his F-15E Strike Eagle how-to article on this page:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/howtoindex.htm

This guy is pretty much who I wish I could be when it comes to modeling. I have fooled people into thinking that some of his finished model pictures are in fact pictures of real planes.

The cockpit instrument technique produces incredible results, and yet is so simple:

1. Primer undercoat
2. Base coat of LACQUER (important) white
3. Top coat of ENAMEL (also important) black
4. Soak a toothpick in ENAMEL THINNER
5. Rub the black ENAMEL paint off the raised details on the instrument

Lacquer and enamel paints are sufficiently different in their chemical makeup that enamel thinner will not remove dried lacquer paint, and that's the secret behind this layered technique. It would be essentially impossible to paint these tiny, tiny details without getting paint on everything else around them, and I believe that Narita-san's cockpits look much better than pre-colored photo etch.

Edit: No surprises on your problems with that kit; Academy's instructions generally suck. Don't take 'em at face value. ;)

This is why I'll never be that good . . .

quote:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/Tiger1/step1.htm
Finish with 800 grade sand paper. These parts are not so visible but nevertheless pay attention to cleaning up.

Parts that won't even be VISIBLE in the finished model, he does a two stage sanding process on. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Forgive me if I'm talking out of my rear end here, but aren't guitar strings tempered steel?

If so, all you'd have to do to make them hold a shape is bend them in a little jig to the shape you want (set of soldering helping hands would probably work) and then heat it up with a little propane torch.

Once it glows red, if you then quench it or just let it cool, it should hold that shape from then on.

They are, but, they're normally so flexible that you don't need to bend 'em into a certain shape. Just glue the ends into place and that's it.

Besides, not everyone has a propane torch. And a welding kit. And a giant antique tractor. And batteries, and one of the coolest DIY threads. So get out of our little tiny toys thread and go play with your big awesome real toy and let us pretend!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For airbrush use, don't use water. Go to an art store and get some Liquitex Airbrush Medium. It'll thin like water, but it also has paint adhesives added so it won't reduce the paints ability to coat and stick to the model like water would do. For thinning paints to be brushed on, Liquitex also makes some thinners, but an even better alternative is a product called Floetrol. You can find this at hardware and paint shops, as it's a paint conditioner for household paint. It comes in a fairly large bottle for cheap, so one bottle will likely last you forever. Not only will it thin, it makes brush painting go on far smoother with fewer visible brush strokes. A nice thinning ratio is one part Floetrol, one part soapy water, and 3 parts paint.

Future Floor Wax is almost the same thing. It's an acrylic medium that helps paint flow and stick without diluting it's coating ability as much as water. Think of mixing water with your paint as creating a suspension; acrylic medium creates an actual solution. Around here, a huge bottle of Future costs around $9 and lasts a long time. It also makes a great gloss coat when sprayed by itself.

EvilMuppet posted:

Er.. all models need some greenstuff, doesn't matter how well they are made.

Yeah, but warping and huge gaps is a different story. Although, I haven't had many problems with Tamiya; they've always struck me as pretty high quality. Why don't you post some pix of the problem areas, so we can tell you if it's a genuine problem or just part of the model building experience!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Can anyone suggest any WW2 German armour camo schemes that you can paint convincingly without an airbrush? The usual ones that I've seen all have very soft edges that you'd need an airbrush for, but were there any with a hard edged pattern?

Part of the problem you're going to run into there is the scale modeler's mindset of the "right" way to do the paintjob. In the later stages of the war, troops were given buckets of paint and brushes, and did whatever the gently caress they could in the field. So you had everything from paint applied too thick by brushes, to guys thinning the paint so much so that it was almost like a wash.

In the early part of the war, they had time to do paint jobs in the factory, so you've got very different levels of quality, but scale modelers love airbrushing and drybrushing, so even if the "real thing" wouldn't have looked like that, everyone knows that you drybrush to show weathering!

http://www.soldatini.miniatures.de/mimetica-invernale-carri-armati.html

http://modelbuilder.freeyellow.com/buildups.htm

Both of those show some cool winter type camo. You can also get soft feathered edges by drybrushing carefully, or stippling.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You make a good point about the way scale modelers do things. I really like that overpainted winter camo look. I'd imagine it's hard to make it look good, and not like you just hosed up painting the model though!

One of the pix I used, as a reference for my IG tanks, is this Abrams.

But I realized that the weird spattering of the mud looks so . . . odd, that if I did it on a scale model, people would think I'd done it wrong. It's kinda crazy that modelers have such a set idea of how something SHOULD look, that you can make something look so much like the real thing (the "prototype" in modeler parlance) that it looks "wrong."

On the other hand, the crushed fenders and the mud built up in the road wheels is why I like that picture a lot. It's a good example of how in even the driest deserts, you still get mud and gunk built up on everything.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

But here is a great example of someone taking one of the premium ed kits and going completely mental.

Crazy superdetailed build here

That is insane. Just, seriously insane. It looks good in the end, but god drat.

That, and the large scale space marine, make me ask a question. If you're going to go through and superdetail and replace the vast majority of the pieces, why even buy a kit in the first place?! Not only did he buy the kit, but it looks like he bought both a Verlinden AND a Dragon detailing kit, along with even more stuff. And he doesn't use ANYTHING from the Verlinden upgrade; just pix to show how much it sucks, and he uses very little from the dragon upgrade kit. The vast majority of the work is done by hand, scratchbuilding.

So why spend between $200 and $300 for kits and upgrades when you're going to end up doing it all from scratch anyway?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Shachi posted:

Just a quick update. I went out to my local Hobby Lobby and ended up getting cold feet and coming back empty handed.

All they had was an Iwata Eclipse for $179.00 so with my 40% off coupon would have been a decent buy.

All the compressors they had were of no brand name and the only decent one was $279.00 and even with the 30% off they had it on sale for I think was too much for something I couldn't determine the brand name for.

I had a stroll around the 'Hobby' section to see what sort of things they had in terms of other supplies but I was mostly disappointed.

I might go back tomorrow to at least get that nice AB on such a good deal. I still wanted to spring for maybe a Revolution and save a bit of cash but I do realize the Eclipse is better and that's a nice price on it.

I personally wish I'd gotten a "real" air compressor from a hardware store. You can always dial down the pressure and put a different hose on it. If you get one with a big enough tank, it'll just run for a little while and then you can spray with the pressure in the tank. It sounds like it would cost less, too, than what you're looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

ZenMastaT posted:

I was actually thinking of moving up to 1/48 for the next thing I build for that same reason. Since the pair of tweezers I have are kind of dumb and awkward I ended up rolling up a tiny strip of masking tape and using that, stuck to the part and one finger, to get things into place. Not the best solution and I definitely hosed up a couple times.

Still, at least with helicopters, it seems like 1/72 scale has a much wider variety of models available and I'd kind of like to keep everything I build around the same scale.

Powdered Toast Man mentioned weathering earlier and from the galleries I've been browsing, that seems to be what makes the difference between something that is well put together and something amazing. Is weathering too much for a rank amateur like myself to attempt, or is it easier than it seems? What kind of techniques do you use to, say, simulate the effects of jet exhaust or oil leaks? I read some of that crazy Japanese guy's how-to guides but they are so perfect and involved that I find myself intimidated.

I'd also love some tips about painting in general too. The instructions make it seem like you should paint each piece before you apply it but the different build guides I've read seem to indicate otherwise. Plus if there are gaps and putty and sanding are required then painting before hand would be a mistake. Anyway, sorry for all my repeated questions in this thread but I keep stumbling into things that confuse me.

Weathering is something I've never found very difficult. I find it easier (and more interesting) than a polished perfect brand new machine. It's much easier for me to simulate a beat up, dirty tank than a shiny candy apple red Camaro. There are dozens of techniques out there to simulate weathering, far too many to list in one post. An airbrush is important, tho. The real pros end up using things like enamel and even oil based paints.

Generally, you're best off building in assemblies or sub assemblies, then gluing those together. For example, build the cockpit and paint it, then place it inside the hull, mask it off, then paint the hull. Any putty or extra work done to make parts fit obviously needs to be done before painting.

On the other hand, it's all about how much work you want to do. Some people go crazy; they seal off their garage and wash it before airbrushing to minimize dust, they'll scratchbuild controls and assemblies that won't ever even be SEEN once the model is completed. Other people are happy to slap together a kit and just paint what's on the outside.