Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Tamiya paints would definitely be labeled, though...did you get one of those Testors themed sets (e.g. aircraft, cars, etc)?

Tamiya paint is more or less impossible to brush unless you use retardant or thinner. At least, that seems to be the case with most of the colors. Some of them behave differently and I have no idea why. It's really a pain in the rear end because I have no desire to airbrush everything.

Just about the only thing I use enamels for is special effects. I also use them to "dot" tiny things like indicator lights or buttons inside aircraft cockpits because the consistency of the paint works well for this, and the pigmentation is more intense.

One example of an enamel paint special effect is Masa Narita's technique for cockpit instruments, which you can see in his F-15E Strike Eagle how-to article on this page:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/howtoindex.htm

This guy is pretty much who I wish I could be when it comes to modeling. I have fooled people into thinking that some of his finished model pictures are in fact pictures of real planes.

The cockpit instrument technique produces incredible results, and yet is so simple:

1. Primer undercoat
2. Base coat of LACQUER (important) white
3. Top coat of ENAMEL (also important) black
4. Soak a toothpick in ENAMEL THINNER
5. Rub the black ENAMEL paint off the raised details on the instrument

Lacquer and enamel paints are sufficiently different in their chemical makeup that enamel thinner will not remove dried lacquer paint, and that's the secret behind this layered technique. It would be essentially impossible to paint these tiny, tiny details without getting paint on everything else around them, and I believe that Narita-san's cockpits look much better than pre-colored photo etch.

Edit: No surprises on your problems with that kit; Academy's instructions generally suck. Don't take 'em at face value. ;)

Holy loving poo poo @ that dude's F-15E Interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Yep, you know the dude is a badass from the Tamiya and IPMS trophies, plaques, and honors he has. I think my personal favorite is the Su-27 Flanker, although his award-winning naval diorama is epic.

I had to find the walkthrough to figure out how the waves were done. Absolutely blew my mind.

I went to a local hobby shop today and they just happened to have the F-15E model in stock....

How much am I looking at with Paints, Glue and all the shabaz? Price me something out here fellas, my birthday is 2 weeks away and the Super Cub R/C Plane I asked my wife for is looking alot less appealing with a loving F-15E STRIKE EAGLE perched above my monitor...