Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
So I'm looking at getting back into scale modeling. I used to do it a lot when I was in high school and really enjoyed it. Back then I was into WWII era aircraft.

I'd probably be doing much of the same but I'd like to get into more modern aircraft and possibly naval at some point.

I find myself in a dilemma here. Back then I just knew to put the glue on the pieces and stick em together and do some brush painting. Now, wanting to get into this on a more advanced or perhaps professional level I've learned a lot more about the techniques and equipment required just from reading this thread and the flood of information I've delved into after being inspired by this thread (good job btw).

Anyways back to my dilemma, I'm starting to realize how pricey this whole new hobby is going to be just to jump into it. I realize it's more of a one time cost and then just maintenance once I have the tools I need, but it's a bit expensive none-the-less.

So far I'm understanding that beyond the basic tools ie. Touch-n-flow, x-acto knives, green stuff or modeling putty, cement, and paint. I should invest in an airbrush and compressor. Not to mention a nice mag/lamp or 'Third-hand' and some other minor stuff.

I've pretty much settled on getting a Iwata Revolution brush and possibly an Iwata Sprint Jet or Smart Jet compressor. Is this good for starting out? Am I starting at too high of a level. Is there some sort of middle ground I can reach?

My only other concerns are that I've never used an airbrush and that I might just be completely inept at using one. That or I'll decide that I don't enjoy the hobby as much as I used to and then end up having sunk $300 bucks into a bunch of stuff that'll sit packed away somewhere.

Hobby Lobby is having some nice sales tomm. (Black Friday) and I was thinking of going and maybe getting a few things then.

Assuming I do go through all this, where is a good place to start? I'm not a complete novice but is maybe a 1/72 Revell or something still a good place to start since I'm basically trying to get my proverbial plane off the ground after being grounded for so long.? Or is that too low of a level that I'll just be disappointed with?

Edit: Also what about the Iwata Silver Jet. It's a bit cheaper and I realize it has a lot less features but would it be that bad?

Edit2: I know that the Silver Jet doesn't have a tank. Can one of you explain using a T-valve and external tank in more detail or link me somwhere. Or even a better tank-less comp. That is if it's actually cost effective.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

^^^

Thanks for the info man. I think I might go out today and get one then. The deals are really nice.

Also anyone have any good forums or sites that teach techniques like enamel washing etc.? I've drooled over that stuff Narita-san does for days but there is a lot he doesn't quite explain with his Engrish.

Also I'm pretty interested in WH 40k but not the table top game it self. I play the PC games a lot and would be more interested in doing pieces for a diorama more than I would for actual use. Is there anyone else who does this or is this just a travesty?

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Just a quick update. I went out to my local Hobby Lobby and ended up getting cold feet and coming back empty handed.

All they had was an Iwata Eclipse for $179.00 so with my 40% off coupon would have been a decent buy.

All the compressors they had were of no brand name and the only decent one was $279.00 and even with the 30% off they had it on sale for I think was too much for something I couldn't determine the brand name for.

I had a stroll around the 'Hobby' section to see what sort of things they had in terms of other supplies but I was mostly disappointed.

I might go back tomorrow to at least get that nice AB on such a good deal. I still wanted to spring for maybe a Revolution and save a bit of cash but I do realize the Eclipse is better and that's a nice price on it.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Thanks for the tips. I'll def look into that. $275 for a hobby compressor when I could get a nice one at Home Depot is aggravating. My only thing is the noise level. Charging that thing in the house would not be appreciated by the g/f.

Where did you get the regulator from? Can you point me in the right direction for what I'd need.

EDIT: I found this http://www.atalantadesign.com/CO2Setup.html Is this something like you are talking about? Is a 20LB tank pretty much the norm or is it overkill?

My only other thought is something like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ5zas2/R-202018100/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Just have to charge the thing outside before working with it. It's attractive at the price.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 28, 2009

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Those compressor prices sound ridiculous, try this one, exactly the same tank I've got, $148 shipped. It comes with a free hose which I had to pay an extra £10 for, regulator built in, it's reasonably quiet too.

Thanks for this. I think I'll be getting my AB from this same store as they are significantly cheaper.

Anyone got some swear-bys on model paints? Model Masters and Testors are the ones with the widest selection in my local stores. I pretty much got the idea that Testors is mostly crap, banking on brand recognition.

Anyone have any experience with Model Masters in terms of thinning for spray or brushing? I'd love to buy some Tamiya or Mr. Hobby stuff but something about having to order online and wait for stuff as opposed to finding something local that I can go out and pick up at will would be better.

I haven't tried the HobbyTown USA or my local store and I'm pretty sure they carry a lot of import stuff so maybe that'll produce better results.

I was curious about following one of Narita-san's tutorials but he only uses Tamiya and Mr. Hobby stuff.

Also can anyone explain how washes work for shading and weathering? Like how to make them/use them?

Shachi fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 28, 2009

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you can find them locally, Vallejo paints are amazing. They have a standard range as well as thinner range ready for airbrush use. They're a bit pricey, so ordering them can definitely cost you a bit. Model Master are pretty good too. Freak Flex and Freestyle paints are also really good for AB use, but you're unlikely to find those on a store shelf, so they would be order only.

Avoid Testors. Yeah, it's found everywhere, but the quality is crap and it'll look crap on your models and clog an AB in a heartbeat.

As for the your earlier question about CO2 tanks, yeah, the link you provided is basically the setup I have, and would work great for you should you go that route.

Thanks!

Looks like Model Masters is basically just the primo Testors brand. Aside from that Velljo isn't locally available but looks like my local store carries Tamiya stuff...at least that's whats online. I wont get a chance to go by there till later. In the mean time it's just a matter of deciding between the compressor that was linked earlier vs. going for a CO2 tank. Thanks for all the help. I'll update when I have my nerd station up and running

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Does anyone have any info on the "Masters" brand of AB?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Detail-DUA...=item2ea974c2e0

Not only is the price somewhat attractive, it's a 1" to hairline spray range which seems kind of nice.

I know when picking between the Iwata Revolution or Eclipse there is a significant paint range that one does that the other cannot. Anyone got any suggestions on what I should get between those?

EDIT: Never mind about the Master AB I asked about. I did a bit of searching and found a lot of "you get what you pay for, dumbass." My question between the Revo and the Eclipse still stands. I'll be using the thing for general use; laying basecoats, detail work, washes, etc.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2009

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I hate this thread. The things you guys make are amazing and I always makes me want to spend money on a new hobby. I'd like to get back into scale modeling some, and also maybe try my hand at some warhammer crap.

Couple questions. I already have a compressor in my garage. Initially I was thinking of getting a 15 gal air tank and put a reg on it to use it with an airbrush but I'm thinking it would be super easy to run an air line up into the attic over the garage and straight to my hobby room with no real fuss. That being said...to adapt it to an airbrush I'd just need a reg and filter upstairs right? What psi do you typically operate an airbrush? Everywhere I'm seeing online says ~30psi and under.

My other question. I'm not really keen on dumping a shitload of money into equipment for another hobby I'll just drop down the line. Are there any opinions on the Harbor Freight airbrush kit?

It's a single action bottom feed but a lot of the reviews say its a good first brush to see if it's something you wanna stick with. Also it's only like $20. Anyone with experience with this particular brush? Is it so bad that it would turn me off to the whole thing completely?

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

The Locator posted:

It's been 20 years since I used an airbrush, and Harbor Freight wasn't a thing back then, so I can't give an opinion on their brush.

On the compressor though, yes, you can run a line up to your hobby room, and then mount a water trap and pressure regulator there, and it will work fine. Given the pressure and volume of air that the air brushes use, you might consider going with your tank system just to see if you like it before you invest the time into running a remote line.

For pressure, I had a Badger bottom feed dual action brush, and depending on the paint, I typically ran 15-24psi. The volume of air used was very low, so a full tank on my compressor (it's a large stand-up compressor in the garage) would last a very long time. I think I probably lost as much air to the normal leak-down of the compressor as the brush would use unless I was doing a huge amount of painting all at once (like, priming 2 dozen airplanes at the same time or something).

Sorry I forgot to link it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-69492.html

Running a remote line would be cheaper than buying a tank and a regulator. Thanks for the input though. You say you don't use an airbrush anymore is that because you've sort of changed your scope of modelling to wooden ships? I've been following you through the thread and drooling over your ship builds. I'd love to start doing that but :drat: those kits are expensive.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 3, 2014

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

Don't cheap out on a brush, whether it is a paintbrush or an airbrush.

Just skip the single action brushes and buy a dual action one. Something like a Badger 100, 155, or an iwata revolution of some sort.

I like the ones with the cup on top, since it's one less part to clean and to lose.

Yeah I just really don't want to spend $100 on an airbrush right now. I'd have no problem doing that further down the road.

What is the feelings on something like the NEO's? They're made by iwata right?

Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/NEO-Gravity-Feed-Action-Airbrush/dp/B004INERK4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1412373908&sr=8-5&keywords=iwata+revolution

Shachi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

adary posted:

As long as you have a way to regulate your pressure to anywhere between 7 and 30 psi, you are golden, and you will rarely go anywhere over 12 psi when using airbrush for scale models. Only time I ever use anything above 15 is working on my miniatures, and only for Vallejo primer which likes high pressures (25 psi or so).

As for airbrush, what ever you do don't get the Harbor Freight piece of garbage. It might cost $35 but you might as well take that money and throw it in the bin ...

iwata NEO are very decent airbrushes that will set you back around $50 or less if you find a good deal. With an airbrush you do need some kind of airbrush hose (connectors will be different from what you have) something to clean it with (don't use windex ...)

If you can afford a good airbrush, go for Badger 105 Patriot series which is brilliant, and costs somewhere around $110

Yeah I'm gonna run a line up my wall into my hobby room and wall mount a regulator/filter. I think I can make it look p nice.

I'm kind of sitting on hands on getting a NEO or a cheaper Badger/Iwata. I can get a NEO for ~$40 with one of those 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby and a lot of other people suggest getting the .5mm pin/nozzle or something as the main complaints I've seen about it.

$40 is a lot less to eat if its something I end up dropping or something. I understand the suggestions to just get the better one first but I'd rather put that money into some brushes and such as I don't imagine I'll use the AB for much more than priming or just spraying over one colors over a large area. I'm not terribly artistically inclined so I can't see myself using it for fine detail work. Does anyone really use AB for detail/figure work beyond primer and main color coats?

Shachi fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 6, 2014

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

It's a Legion of Everblight Throne of Everblight!!! Man you just made anything I ever thought about painting look like poo poo.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

The Locator posted:

I did a bunch of stuff over the month of December, but very little work on the boat, but I finally did manage to get back to it and make some progress.

Part of what I did over the holiday's was to finally get my hobby room up and running. Yay! I got rid of the carpet, and put together another workbench (and got a small folding table) to begin with. I plan to add a lot more to this, but hey, it's a start!

Are those the work benches from harbor freight? Those are super rad. I've got two large glass top computer desks I use now but I'd love a nice wooden bench with drawers...then again the drawers would just fill up with poo poo I never use much like the rest of my room.

Baronjutter posted:

My wife got me a table lamp magnifier thing. I basically don't work on anything small unless it's the exact hours the sun comes in the window and even then the lighting sucks. I can finally see poo poo now!!!

Also I really really need to clean my hobby space up.

Where did she get this? I'm dying for one but I really don't want to shell out $40-100 for one.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Right now I use the magnifying glass on my helping hands when I need to do small delicate stuff. What I really need a is a solution to getting good light behind me onto my project but without me getting my fat head in the shadow. I feel when my light is overhead it casts an even worse shadow on the figure I'm working on. I really should buy another lamp so I can put two light angles on it. I feel when my light is overhead it casts an even worse shadow on the figure I'm working on.