Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

I said earlier that I was working on the Revell Charles W. Morgan model. Thankfully they have the instruction sheet online so I can ask this question easier: http://www.revell.de/manual/05094.PDF

I got up to step 53 and I'm fine until then, some stuff was tricky but I got it good enough. I'm looking at the next few steps though and I don't understand how I'm supposed to do them with the sails on? These steps where I'm supposed to tie into the hitches on the deck of the boat are tough enough as it is, but they seem impossible with all the sails in the way, not to mention the pictures make it look like the ropes are going through where the sails are? Are these optional steps for if you don't put up sails?

That just looks really fiddly, I had the same problem with the Cutty Sark Airfix kit.

It takes forever to rig up. If you look carefully all the tie locations are from the ends of either sail booms and being tied diagonally to the boom in front, essentially just triangles. It looks more difficult than it really is. Good luck with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Morgenthau posted:

Me too, the box is like this for reference.

That's a concept art of the F-19 I posted but I have seen the box. It's all in black so I'll definitely be repainting it to fit the colors in that pic.
I'm also looking for the Testors F-19 if I can find it.
Ebay has lots but shipping from the US is like 3 times the cost of the kit if they send it to where I am.

The Testors/Italeri F19. Think I only Paid £2 for it, but yeah... very rare. There's also a 1/72 scale version IIRC.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Morgenthau posted:

gently caress. Look at that box.
Congrats on that incredible steal, loving Ebay is trying to rip me off to death on it.

I also demand that this kit be built post haste.
How are the decals holding up after years of neglect in the box?

Decals are surprisingly in great condition, no yellowing or crazing. The box just looks a bit sorry for itself.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I've not added anything to this thread yet.... so here goes a couple of Tamiya bikes.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
All 1/12, if you haven't tried them, give them a go approximately 6 1/2 inches per bike and all highly detailed.

Cheers

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I don't know much about historical models since I mostly paint Warhammer and the like, but I'd really like to build and paint a Messerschmitt Me-163 Komet rocket plane. Some quick googling shows that every company I could think of makes them (Tamiya, Testors, etc). What historicals/model plane company has the right combination of detail, scale, quality and price?

For an ME-163 a cheap and fairly cheerful option is the Revell version, if you can find one, its been released a couple of times. Its fairly accurate and builds up nicely. I have one part done.... really need to finish it.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
New model time for me, I've built this before but doing it again just for fun.
The Suzuki Katana 1100 in tiger stripes and modified forks and wheels.

Its supposed to look something like this, apologies for the tiny photo.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Update time...
Frame done.
Engine almost done.
Bodywork, first coats of paint on - minor over spray to deal with, it may just blend in with clear coat.
Stripes are next. Phone photo, apologies for the poor quality.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Wheels, swingarm and forks on. I'll need to make new suspension location points but it's getting there.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Nearly done, a couple of little fixes and its ready to go.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Morgenthau posted:

Awesome work on the brake discs, are they a paint job or photoetch parts?

All paint, Alclad II lacquer. Its a layering of Chrome and Stainless Steel.

Cheers

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

The faint circles and copyright notice aren't supposed to be on a real tank, of course. Sand them off. As for the gun, I leave mine as moveable as possible, unless there isn't enough friction to keep it in the position I want.

The marks on the wheels probably aren't supposed to be there either. Look at some pictures of the tank online and see if they're on it. I don't remember Shermans having any marks like that, but it's been ages since I've seen one.

Those copyright symbols are casting marks, not sure if they are in the right location but they are correct. http://tanksandthings.niceboard.org/t2733-some-of-tmd-s-new-sherman-goodies-reviewed

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Modelling madness or Missing Lynx should help with those military models

http://modelingmadness.com/kitindex/kitindexmain.htm
http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/reviews_russian.htm

Cheers

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I've had a little bit time to do a bit of modelling, nothing too serious but here goes. Revell do the Star Wars mini kits and a local bookshop was selling them for half the price of the local model shop. I bought the X-Wing and the Darth Vader Tie Fighter. They come pre-painted but it's actually quite a good job. For the sake of ten minutes tinkering and putting it together, you end up with a not bad model.

I went a little further and weathered it a little.

Great kits for adults or kids. I very heartily recommend.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Commissar Canuck posted:

After the giant headache that was putting this Takom kit together, the end is almost in sight! :toot: I just need to apply washes to the other half of the tank and muddy up the treads and areas around them.

That's a very nicely built model.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Putting decals in direct sunlight will cure the yellowness to an extent but it takes a while, I've done it before by taping the sheet in a window If the decals are cracked already, don't bother trying to fix, you are better finding another sheet if you can.

If you can, .store all decals in a cool dry dark place, do not leave in a cold place or they do eventually degrade and start to break up.

Cheers

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Actually, model-specific question: does anyone do a good F-14 Tomcat with working variable sweep (preferably 1:48 but I'm not fussy)? All the ones I can see on Amazon seem to be stuck in either low- or high-speed configuration.

Ditto the Tu-22M, Su-24 or Mirage G4/8, or really, any swing-wing design whose unswept wings stick out at ~90 degrees.

As far as I'm aware, all of the tomcat models have variable sweep, In order of best, I have the Academy kit, Monogram kit and Hasegawa 48th and 72nd kits. All have sweeping wings.

Regards

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I picked up this huge 32" Falcon during the week for $42, bargain. I will be buying the Randy Cooper resin and etch set for it.:)

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

makka-setan posted:

That's no model, it's a space ship! For realsies.

What scale is it?

Close to 1/48th I believe, its freaking huge :)

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Smoke posted:

Hey guys, look what I found earlier this week!

I didn't even know it was still available in stores, I was just aware of its existence.

I have the 1/48th of that, I love that it was speculative modelling of what the stealth fighter might look like. Still needing to find a few more of the big size for a diorama :)

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Can't stop won't stop

I'll raise you these, Wonderland Models, Edinburgh. A collection of 2000 kits being sold off as the owner has sadly passed away. I've picked these up so far plus a rather nice Sikorsky Skycrane, all are from the 1960's/70's.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
The most expensive kit in that pile was £12 or $17, the rest were £7/$10 or £4/$6.

I love the box art, and all kits are bagged and decals are perfect. Not bad for 47 year old kits.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Time for some building and I've chosen something a bit small. Eduard Avia B.534 in 1/144. It comes as 4 in one box for less that $20. Really nice kits.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Finished this ages ago and forgot to post it up. The tiny Avia 534b in 1/144th scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Maybe it's just me but those decals really tie the whole thing together, it looks like an entirely different plane.

Lol, these are two entirely different planes.