Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: Also, Zimminent. Did it serve any purpose at all? I know it protects against magnetic mines, but I thought the only people who used magnetic mines were the Germans.

That's basically it, which is why it was phased out later in the war as it added a day or two to production times waiting for the paste to cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

spider wisdom posted:

Quick question/request that's model-related.

I stumbled across this guy's little scratchbuilt robot model a while back and thought I'd try my hand at something similar later on. Now it's technically later on and I want to give it a shot. I'm a big fan of the cylindrical robot shape a la Bertie, the Cortex Command tanks and various MaK designs. Turns out the Kinder Egg is a cheap and plentiful capsule to start building from (and is what the pictured model is built from), but they can't be found in the US at all. I've looked into vending machine capsules and checked ebay, but they're usually sold in bulk and there's no way I need 50+ of these things - I just want to make a few models.

Anyone have ideas on an alternative product/object I could use? Or, hey, if someone in Canada wanted to toss a few eggs in a box and ship to me, I'd gladly reimburse you.

Try finding a vending machine with a vending machine capsule in it?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'm not convinced that ten extra guys figure is all inside the tank and not at least some riding on the exterior as the Soviets tended to do.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Touch n Flow applicators are really finicky. I'm working on my model backlog, and it isn't helping things along any.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

This thread needs more pictures, even if they're lame ones like mine.

Well, it sure isn't a wooden boat model, but these little laser-cut metal kits are pretty fun to put together. I saw a display of them at the Nimitz museum in Fredricksburg, TX when I was down there, and grabbed the only two different kits: a A6 Zero and a Tiger 1. Despite all the teeny-tiny parts and searching around for household objects that have the right diameter cylinder to bend parts around, the don't seem too terribly hard to put together. Today I built the turret and the upper hull of the Tiger 1, the parts certainly look better after you've gotten the hang of bending all the little tabs in place.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

The Locator posted:

Not lame at all, those little metal models are pretty cool. I've never built one, but I've seen some really great looking models from them, and the detail on your Tiger looks pretty good.

Are you planning to paint it or leave it bare metal?

I'm going to leave it bare metal, I'm fond of the etching on it, it was kind of a practice kit for the A6M Zero I have and the F4U Corsair kit they make which I'll tack on to my next Amazon order. Anywho, here's a picture or two of the finished tank. Excuse my awful lighting situation and awful camera.

Next project should have a little more going on: Tamiya's 1:48 SU-122.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Seriously I grabbed a tube of squadron white putty this weekend at the hobby store for less than four dollars. It's not gonna kill your wallet and it will last you forever.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I didn't realize until now that a Star Destroyer has a big door right in the middle of the bridge.

I recognized a ton of WW1/WW2 naval model superstructure parts in the exposed inner area of the Executor. New that they scavenged a ton of stuff for the death star and what not from those kits, but actually looking at a close-up and thinking to myself "I know where that goes" was kinda neat.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I laughed way too hard at this. And I can't unsee it.

I thought he was showing up to work in his pajamas.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some books though might be your best option, if you're so inclined.

Do you have any good naval warship modeling book recommendations? They're what I'm most interested in, but I am working on a pair of 1/700 kits now, and it's surprisingly frustrating.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Skip the head; it's perfect as is :unsmith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I have known two people in my life who willingly bought PT Cruisers.

EDIT:
Wait! One of them was actually an HHR.

My mom was one of them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think just full length planks. It's such a small section of the total hull that there wouldn't be many joints overall in this section (I think, just speculating), plus the entire hull is painted anyway, double plus if I change my mind later I could just score some joint lines with a blade.

The Locator posted:

In my opinion, the joints add a lot to the final look, especially when you are working with something as large as you are, with as many planks as it has. When you paint it, the planks and joints should still show through I think, but I've never personally travelled to visit the Victory, and close up views of the hull are surprisingly hard to find with Google image search.

Ultimately, as long as you are happy with how it looks, go for it, as that's really all that matters in the end.

I dunno if it'll be much help, but I was in Portsmouth last October and took a bunch of photos of Victory, so if you wanna speculate on planking patters or whatever, here ya go. (I hope that link works, facebook is weird.)