Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Rkelly posted:

Robotronic would like to have a word with you. I use it everyday.
http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/products/Robotronic/index.php?lang=en

Also the one million band akai vocoder is good as well but its ui is kinda weak.
http://www.akaipro.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1170/tt/5

I used the akai one for a while then yoozer gave me a bug to get all the sugarbytes poo poo.

Abletons vocoder is good too.

Thanks, I will check these out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The APC comes with Live 7? That's kind of weak...

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

warwick5s posted:

The APC comes with Live 7? That's kind of weak...

I would be happy it came with anything. Live 8 cost 400. Live 8 suite cost 1k. The apc is 400. Ableton is not a large company that can afford to steeply discount its only source of income.

Apc comes with the best bundled version of live that exist. You should see the live 4 lite or whatever I got with my xiosynth.

No one would buy live 8 if an apc 40 shipped with live 8 bundled for free.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Rkelly posted:

No one would buy live 8 if an apc 40 shipped with live 8 bundled for free.

I wasn't expecting full Live8 but at least a Live8 lite.

breaks
May 12, 2001

It's not like Live 8 added a slew of substantial features anyway, the most interesting parts of "Live 8" are the APC itself and Max For Live.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

warwick5s posted:

I wasn't expecting full Live8 but at least a Live8 lite.

Yeah I got a 400 dollar xiosynth and I got live4lite it was after live 7 was already out. At least you can get a cheap upgrade.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
So i've been using FL Studio and Reason for a few years and just switched over to Ableton about a week ago. Holy poo poo is it amazing, well worth the price. I'm putting off buying an audio interface because I just dropped a decent amount of change on the software and a few nano-controllers so my question is this:

I've got an m-audio micro (basically a USB 1x1 stereo in/out) and my on board sound card as well an EMU-0404 PCI card that I'm not using but may be relevant to what i'm trying to do. A lot of my buddies use Ableton when they're playing out downtown and i've stuck with the CDJ setup, but I'm planning to eventually buy a laptop and a firewire audio interface for gigging (probably a powerful mac laptop and the m-audio firewire 610). I've been trying to find a way to use the m-audio micro in conjunction with one of my sound cards in order to have a 'cue' out in Ableton but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this on a Windows machine. I've been trying my hardest to set it up so that I can have a set of outs for my speakers and also at least one out for my headphones. One of my friends showed me how to do it on his mac, but I don't have one yet and still want to try to practice using Ableton for DJing. Computer specs are 4 gig ram, core duo proc, windows XP SP3.

Sorry if the phrasing on that was uncomfortable, I'm not really sure how else to put it.

Edit: I've also tried going the route of using ASIO4ALL v2 to try to use both as inputs but that doesn't seem to work.. i'm at a loss

further edit: from the ableton site
code:
Does Live support multiple sound cards/audio interfaces?
Live does not support multiple sound cards/audio interfaces.
There has got to be a way around this right?{

Okay, last edit. I'm not as retarded as I had originally thought. Using the ASIO4ALL interface, I was able to hook up my USB interface along w/ the onboard sound drivers, so... if anyone wants to know how.

Meaty Potato fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 11, 2009

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Guitar Center has this going on: "Purchase Both an Akai APC40 and Ableton Live 8 Between May 30, 2009 and June 30, 2009 and Receive $200 Cash Back via Mail In Rebate!" If you're sitting on the fence I suggest taking advantage of this.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Justus posted:

Since going back to school for electronics, I don't do as much professional audio work anymore as I used to, so it feels good to type out stuff like that from time to time just to think about it and show myself that I still know it. Glad you enjoyed it.

That's a little different, I suppose. If you're super into creating your own sounds and such, you can consider EQ part of the process of producing a sound. It's less jarring because you're electronically manipulating a sound that was electronically produced to begin with - whereas any EQ you apply to a recording of a flute is going to make it sound more electronic and less like a flute. Any amount of EQ will introduce problems with phase, etc., so I still think it's best use sparingly as possible, but sometimes it's what you need.

I suppose most synthesizers on their own have a tendency to produce sounds that are very harmonically rich, and won't play well with a mix without some treatment.

I also suppose I'll take this opportunity to admit that I tend to use some EQ on most sounds as well. The main thrust of that advise is that if you find yourself wanting to boost the lows of an electric guitar by a whole ton in EQ, it's probably because you created a weak sounding recording to begin with, and it's much easier to solve by means other than EQing.

EDIT: For clarification, I don't mean the sound from the pickups of an electric guitar necessarily, but the sound recorded through a microphone aimed at an amp.

I carve it up.

Take your EQ, take one band, crank it up as high as it goes, keep the bandwidth narrow as it goes (so basically you've got a flat EQ with one huge bump sticking up). Slowly sweep the EQ up, listening carefully. When you find something that sounds like rear end, reverse the gain (notching it out). Repeat.

By doing this you can cut out the lovely sounding frequencies of other sounds. Things like bass and vox can be tightened up by notching about 500hz, synths and electric guitars grate less if you cut around 3k, etc. There's all sorts of lovely-sounding frequencies that exist in sounds that you can cut out with this method.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster
So I've had Live 7 since Christmas time, and there's one nagging thing I haven't been able to figure out.

When I do live performances, I set up blank clips beforehand for the exact length of the loop that I'm going to play (16/32/64/etc beats). That way, I don't have to hit my foot controller to stop the loop, which makes things easier. As far as I know, this only works for MIDI tracks, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for looped audio. Does anyone know of a way to set this up for an audio track?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Kai was taken posted:

I carve it up.

Take your EQ, take one band, crank it up as high as it goes, keep the bandwidth narrow as it goes (so basically you've got a flat EQ with one huge bump sticking up). Slowly sweep the EQ up, listening carefully. When you find something that sounds like rear end, reverse the gain (notching it out). Repeat.

By doing this you can cut out the lovely sounding frequencies of other sounds. Things like bass and vox can be tightened up by notching about 500hz, synths and electric guitars grate less if you cut around 3k, etc. There's all sorts of lovely-sounding frequencies that exist in sounds that you can cut out with this method.

Do you just use EQ Eight for this?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Leninboarrir posted:

So I've had Live 7 since Christmas time, and there's one nagging thing I haven't been able to figure out.

When I do live performances, I set up blank clips beforehand for the exact length of the loop that I'm going to play (16/32/64/etc beats). That way, I don't have to hit my foot controller to stop the loop, which makes things easier. As far as I know, this only works for MIDI tracks, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for looped audio. Does anyone know of a way to set this up for an audio track?

Upgrade to live 8 and use looper. This was the reason I upgraded.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

h_double posted:

Ah, that's cool about expanding the VU pane to show the peak meter. I still like having numbers printed right on the meter strip, and being able to zoom in so the meter shows a specific amount of headroom, but even being able to see the peak volume per track is a big help.
Didn't see anyone else answer this, but if you make your channel strip wider then Live will draw the dB values next to the VU meter. Resizing the meter section to be taller also gives greater visual granularity. I can't remember whether this works in Live 7 but it certainly does in 8.

Does anyone know if you can insert effects before Live's recording path, or do I still have to bounce from one track which has the effects (compressor, etc) to another which performs the actual recording into a clip?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Plastic Snake posted:

Do you just use EQ Eight for this?

It's all you need. I've never had to use more than 8 bands to cut frequencies. If you need 8 bands to get rid of bad frequencies, you need a different timbre.

ynohtna posted:

Didn't see anyone else answer this, but if you make your channel strip wider then Live will draw the dB values next to the VU meter. Resizing the meter section to be taller also gives greater visual granularity. I can't remember whether this works in Live 7 but it certainly does in 8.

It was added with 6.

quote:

Does anyone know if you can insert effects before Live's recording path, or do I still have to bounce from one track which has the effects (compressor, etc) to another which performs the actual recording into a clip?

As in, record an effect to tape? If dropping them in the channel doesn't record it to tape, then I don't think so. You could record it and then flatten it, though.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 13, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3kF6dt4uo

I'm interested in recreating this kind of set up, but I have no idea where to start. My knowledge of ableton is basic, record > loop > change loop, apply an effect to a whole channel...the basics.

But I'm interested in developing skills like the video above, to recreate shpongle-like songs. I work with a full band, a guitarist/keys, bassist, Drummer/Keys, and me with an APC40 and Axiom25 and I can use another keyboard.

Is he setting a channel with effects then sending certain tracks to that channel and bringing it's volume up at times?

I feel like I'm seeing things happen, but not seeing him make them happen...

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

D.B. Cooper
May 26, 2009
He's just mapping group clips to the midi pads and effects to the knobs. Its pretty basic stuff as far as live goes.

Here's a tutorial
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/06/11/ableton-live-8-group-clips-with-track-groups/#more-6116

edit: most of the effects he's using like reversing, retriger and shuffle are all from the Db_Glitch VST which you can get here http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

D.B. Cooper fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 13, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

welp, that didn't take long

Monome emulator for the APC40

http://vimeo.com/5138842

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Apologies if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm having trouble recording my synth using Ableton Live 6 and my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Basically, all my recordings come out sounding like rear end, even though everything sounds fine when I record using Audacity. I've tried all sorts of combinations of buffer size/driver error compensation/sample rate but nothing seems to make it sound right. Any ideas?

D.B. Cooper
May 26, 2009
Have you tried using asio4all?

http://www.asio4all.com/

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

D.B. Cooper posted:

Have you tried using asio4all?

http://www.asio4all.com/

Isn't that just a workaround for cards without official ASIO support? I have official ASIO drivers for both my audio interface and onboard sound.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Computer Jones posted:

Apologies if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm having trouble recording my synth using Ableton Live 6 and my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Basically, all my recordings come out sounding like rear end, even though everything sounds fine when I record using Audacity. I've tried all sorts of combinations of buffer size/driver error compensation/sample rate but nothing seems to make it sound right. Any ideas?

Are you sure you're not doing something retarded when you record, like recording a mono signal using stereo inputs? Make sure you're selecting the right line in on your audio track in Live. Also, I dunno about your audio interface, but make sure Live's audio settings are set to the same sample rate and bit depth as the audiophile. Do not assume it is set to 24 bit 96khz just because it is called 2496.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's also worth checking to see if your record channel is also sending its input out the master and back into the recording stream, resulting in phasing/distortion that is dependent upon your interface latencies.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Vanmani posted:

Are you sure you're not doing something retarded when you record, like recording a mono signal using stereo inputs? Make sure you're selecting the right line in on your audio track in Live. Also, I dunno about your audio interface, but make sure Live's audio settings are set to the same sample rate and bit depth as the audiophile. Do not assume it is set to 24 bit 96khz just because it is called 2496.

Well, poo poo. I've been recording the stereo output of my synth, but the patch doesn't have any panning, so I guess that's the problem. Now I understand why my other (mono) synth sounded fine :doh:
Thanks!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

warwick5s posted:

welp, that didn't take long

Monome emulator for the APC40

http://vimeo.com/5138842

This loving rules. I need a apc 40 now. poo poo balls batman.

The new issue of CM is all about ableton 8. Has some cool ideas for all the new effects.

It taught me that the new percussion resonance tool corpus, will run based on mide in. You can now play live and have blips and bleeps and percussion that changes harmonically according to midi. Just add a pitch knob to transpose on the midi track your sending from.

FAtness.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 14, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

D.B. Cooper posted:

edit: most of the effects he's using like reversing, retriger and shuffle are all from the Db_Glitch VST which you can get here http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Bummer thats PC only :( Anyone know of a similar thing for mac, preferably free, but I could always pay if it's worth it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

RizieN posted:

Bummer thats PC only :( Anyone know of a similar thing for mac, preferably free, but I could always pay if it's worth it.

A lot of Glitch's functionality can be emulated by creating a Live Rack that contains various effects (phaser, supatrigga, bit crusher, beat repeat, etc) with the different chains assigned to MIDI notes. Then, throw a cat onto your keyboard, sequence the notes in dummy clips, and apply arpeggiators as required.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
One question about post.

When I have room tone extremely low, like barely touching the meters low, it sounds like the sound fades in and out, almost like it's oscillating. When I kick it up a few dB, it stops. It doesn't drop off the end of the meters or anything, it's just pretty much as low as you can get it.

Would changing to a higher bit depth stop this from happening? I don't have the means to try it right now.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

RizieN posted:

Sugar Bytes Effectrix is even a little better than dBlue Glitch I think. ;)

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

vas0line posted:

Sugar Bytes Effectrix is even a little better than dBlue Glitch I think. ;)

I use a midi controller running effectrix with all kinds of retarded patterns bound to different notes, on my guitar and voice. So fun and retarded.

You can easily overdo it. Psych freakouts are awesome though.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

Rkelly posted:

Upgrade to live 8 and use looper. This was the reason I upgraded.

I just bought a FCB1010 though...would it be worth it to keep it?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Leninboarrir posted:

I just bought a FCB1010 though...would it be worth it to keep it?
Totally. The FCB is pretty versatile. Besides controlling playback and recording, you could also use it to control effects. Perhaps you will need to do some on-the-fly stuff too.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I still have my FCB1010, I don't think I'll ever part with it.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I use the fcb1010 to control ableton and looper. I love that drat pedal. Got it and a vamp pro rack for a 125 bucks.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can someone tell me how to use EZDrummer in Ableton? All I can find is the 'plugins' button on the left, which lets me select the EZ drummer folder, but I can't figure out where to go from there and open the drat thing.

I've googled it but can't seem to find any instructions. Not ones that seem to work for me, anyway.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

Can someone tell me how to use EZDrummer in Ableton? All I can find is the 'plugins' button on the left, which lets me select the EZ drummer folder, but I can't figure out where to go from there and open the drat thing.

I've googled it but can't seem to find any instructions. Not ones that seem to work for me, anyway.

I haven't used EZDrummer specifically but it's pretty easy loading plugins into Live.

1) Go to Options -> Preferences, click on the File Folder tab, make sure the VST Plugin Custom Folder is pointing to the right location (plugins can also be located in sub-folders from this path). Click "Rescan Plugins" just to make sure Live sees everything in there.

2) On the left side of the screen, press the Plugins button next to the browser (looks like an electrical plug). Hopefully you will see the EZDrummer folder listed there.

3) Click the little arrow next to the folder, and it should expand and show the actual EZDrummer plugin with an icon that looks like a box that reads "VST". Double click on the VST icon (or drag it into an empty MIDI track) and it should be loaded and ready to use.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

h_double posted:

I haven't used EZDrummer specifically but it's pretty easy loading plugins into Live.

1) Go to Options -> Preferences, click on the File Folder tab, make sure the VST Plugin Custom Folder is pointing to the right location (plugins can also be located in sub-folders from this path). Click "Rescan Plugins" just to make sure Live sees everything in there.

This is as far as I get. I've selected the folder with the EZDrummer library-- it's got its own little black-and-white file icon as well, so I presume that's where it should be pointing-- but I see no EZdrummer listed in the plugins panel. :( Any ideas? Should I take a screenshot maybe? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid.

I know the software works because I got it running in Cubase.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Popcorn posted:

This is as far as I get. I've selected the folder with the EZDrummer library-- it's got its own little black-and-white file icon as well, so I presume that's where it should be pointing-- but I see no EZdrummer listed in the plugins panel. :( Any ideas? Should I take a screenshot maybe? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid.

I know the software works because I got it running in Cubase.

Iirc the ezdrummer library will be in a separate place from the dll that you need to direct it. Likely places to check would be c:\program files\vstplugins or c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins. That or just do a find file for the dlls created on the day you installed.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Yes, the plugin itself will probably be called something like ezdrummer.dll, and should be in your shared vstplugins directory, and that's what you want to point to.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That worked! Thanks a bundle, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Hey I've been using the Ableton Live Suite 8 demo for a bit now, and I've been mostly using online tutorials to learn and what not. I know there are some lessons that are included with it but whenever I open them they are just Live Sets, and don't really teach me anything other then give me examples. Is this what is it supposed to be or am I just screwing things up?