Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

File -> Collect All and Save.

I've found a better/more reliable way (if you plan on sharing the project with others), is:

- View -> File Manager
- Manage Project
- Create Live Pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Hmm, how can you make one sample trigger another in a different line? Follow action doesn't seem to let you move out of your main line.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 8, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

h_double posted:

I've found a better/more reliable way (if you plan on sharing the project with others), is:

- View -> File Manager
- Manage Project
- Create Live Pack

True, but more steps are involved.
- View -> File Manager
- Manage Set first!
- Collect external files, if any
- Then go up one level, manage project, and do the same thing.
- Then finally, create live pack

I've had problems in the past and this has been the method thats had a 100% success rate for me.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 8, 2009

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I'm having kind of a weird problem with Ableton and a recently purchased M-Audio Keystudio. Basically after recording down a midi track with my Keystudio, when I go to playback sometimes the notes recorded will play, sometimes they don't. Usually they stop playing back after I make a volume or panning adjustment. I feel stupid not being able to figure it out.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone have any cool tricks on how to make Reason sound less 'Reasony' when rewired through ableton? I've tried lightly effecting the entire channel, but everyone I show my stuff to can still pick out that (relatively) cruddier Reason sound.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Volvagia posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone have any cool tricks on how to make Reason sound less 'Reasony' when rewired through ableton? I've tried lightly effecting the entire channel, but everyone I show my stuff to can still pick out that (relatively) cruddier Reason sound.
I've always found a good smattering of compression works wonders on Reason tracks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
And don't use the mixers in Reason. I mean, if you're ReWiring chances are you're doing this already, but just in case - I've always found that a big part of the 'Reason sound' comes from how choked everything is through its mixers. I ReWire every individual sound coming out of Reason, and only use the small mixers within Combinators when I need a blend of tones on one instrument. Then again, I rarely play with patches that aren't custom.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Volvagia posted:

I've never really had a problem with rewired tracks sounding "Reasony," but that may be primarily because of how I approach it. I'd suggest avoiding most of Reason's effects (it's a pain in the rear end to automate them anyways when Rewired since you need to use MIDI rather than basic automation), and skipping Reason's mixer like the poster above me suggested is a good idea as well. However, it's a bit silly to suggest that Reason itself is at fault for the bad sound -- Reason can sound really great, and there's plenty of big names out there who use it.

EDIT: I should also note that layering is your friend. That goes for everything, but Reason in particular seems to take well to it. I always used to try to get huge sounds out of one synth and get really frustrated with it, but since I've become a Combinator/Ableton Instrument Rack whore I've had a lot easier time getting the sounds I want.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 10, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Volvagia posted:

Yeah, just wire the instruments direct to the rewire channels, don't go through the mixer and absolutely don't pipe anything through any of the default reason mastering suites.

That being said, from what I can tell when people say "that sounds reasony" it's typically because you've barely tweaked a reason preset, and they recognise it.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Reason's synths (maelstrom and thor, anyway) are actually really tight and sound great rewired directly into Ableton. Use the External Instrument thing and you can play MIDI clips in Ableton straight through Reason, it's awesome.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

stun runner posted:

Reason's synths (maelstrom and thor, anyway) are actually really tight and sound great rewired directly into Ableton. Use the External Instrument thing and you can play MIDI clips in Ableton straight through Reason, it's awesome.

The Maelstrom is seriously awesome. I never recognized how great it was until recently, but drat does the distortion on it sound neat. It can make some really cool sounds.

EDIT: Also I'm totally falling in love with Analog after spending some time with it trying to recreate synth sounds. You can do a lot with just it and the Ableton effects:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 11, 2009

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

I'm ready to make the switch from Reason to Ableton. But one thing that discourages me every time I attempted to do this was the drastically different workflow. I never use any of the step sequencers or patterns in reason, which I am assuming is a major thing in Ableton. Also in reason, I would just use the pencil tool, draw out a measure in the sequencer, double click that, and pencil in each note. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in Ableton. This is probably the silliest of silly questions.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

dookie posted:

I'm ready to make the switch from Reason to Ableton. But one thing that discourages me every time I attempted to do this was the drastically different workflow. I never use any of the step sequencers or patterns in reason, which I am assuming is a major thing in Ableton. Also in reason, I would just use the pencil tool, draw out a measure in the sequencer, double click that, and pencil in each note. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in Ableton. This is probably the silliest of silly questions.

Two ways:

In session view, just double click on the clip section and set the bar length. You can then drag it into arrangement view. In arrangement view highlight the section you want to put a clip into and press cmd+shift+m (ctrl+shift+m on a PC)

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

dookie posted:

It's been said before and it'll be said again. Do the in-built tutorials. You'll probably find better ways to do everything later, but they take at most an hour to do all of the basic tutorials, and they get you started. Once you've got everything started you get a better idea of what all the buttons do and you can figure out better ways to do things for yourself.

I recently "switched" from Reason to Ableton, and it did take a couple of weeks to click, but it's really starting to work for me now 'cos I've found out how to do most of the things I need to be able to do properly.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dookie posted:

I'm ready to make the switch from Reason to Ableton. But one thing that discourages me every time I attempted to do this was the drastically different workflow. I never use any of the step sequencers or patterns in reason, which I am assuming is a major thing in Ableton.
wat

no, seriously, your assumptions suck.

There are no step-sequencers in Ableton. The thing that gets the closest is this trick: http://www.theheartcore.com/megathread/ableton_swing_loop.png where you create a MIDI clip of 4 bars and click the instruments in the grid. In fact, step sequencers are probably a good reason for several folks to get cracking with Max 4 Live to "solve" this problem.

quote:

Also in reason, I would just use the pencil tool, draw out a measure in the sequencer, double click that, and pencil in each note. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in Ableton. This is probably the silliest of silly questions.

See that thing called "Draw Mode" in the right-click menu in the screenshot? That's what you need.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Yoozer posted:

There are no step-sequencers in Ableton.

You can build a analog-style step sequencer as a Rack effect, using each of the 8 macro knobs to set the pitch of one step in the sequence (and using clip follow actions to build sequences longer than 8 steps)

I realize this is sort of kludgey and not what the average casual user is looking for, but it's something you can tweak in realtime, and is generally a cool little application of racks.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

squidgee posted:

The Maelstrom is seriously awesome. I never recognized how great it was until recently, but drat does the distortion on it sound neat. It can make some really cool sounds.

EDIT: Also I'm totally falling in love with Analog after spending some time with it trying to recreate synth sounds. You can do a lot with just it and the Ableton effects:

Shittttt that sounds phat

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

squidgee posted:

That sounds awesome, how'd you make that?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

Shittttt that sounds phat

prom candy posted:

That sounds awesome, how'd you make that?

Thanks! Like I said, I've been really impressed lately with Ableton's built in synths. They sound alright without effects, but when you start putting the Ableton effects on top of them they sound really great. I can't wait to buy an APC and have dedicated controls for them so they feel more like instruments rather than plugins. The basic patch is this:

On top of it I've got some overdrive, reverb obviously, compression, and an EQ. I also cut out the really low frequencies and threw an operator with just a sine wave under it for sub bass so the lows are nice and clean -- it's not necessary to do that, but I think it generally sounds a lot better. Then I automated the filter and amp envelopes and reverb mix to get it to open up like that.

You can actually see what I'm automating in those screenshots by looking for the green dots. Those denote which parameters are attached to macros on the track's device rack. Devices racks are really great since they save you from having eighty different lanes of automation, and let you do really complex changes with just one or two knobs. Plus they just look a lot cleaner.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

squidgee posted:

The basic patch is this:
Save it as a patch and upload it. Just drag the instrument to the file folder in Ableton and upload the .adv file so we don't have to mess so much with settings :)

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

I can't figure out how to remap midi CC controls in reason while it's a rewrite slave.

live is passing the midi along, but I can't get it to remap and I can't figure out how to change in live what they're sending to...

for example, I've got a thor in reason, but I want to map a knob on my keyboard to the filter frequency. I can't seem to figure it out.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sharktopus posted:

I can't figure out how to remap midi CC controls in reason while it's a rewrite slave.

live is passing the midi along, but I can't get it to remap and I can't figure out how to change in live what they're sending to...

for example, I've got a thor in reason, but I want to map a knob on my keyboard to the filter frequency. I can't seem to figure it out.
I don't think you can, not directly anyway.

You could record the MIDI you want to play in Live as normal, unmap the keyboard from Live and map it as a control surface in Reason. Then, when playing back in record mode and in Reason, you could assign all the knobs you wanted and do the automation live as it's playing.

Or just get another keyboard/control surface specifically for Reason.

There's a couple of guide type things here: http://www.digitalburn.org/automating-reason-parameters-in-rewire-mode/

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

well poo poo, thanks anyways. I'm gonna try and use this keyboard for reason only and see if that works.

yeah so that's one way.

Maybe i'll record in live and then when I play live, I'll just synth into reason and set it up for that.

Sharktopus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 13, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Anyone here use a Kaoss pad for triggering clips? Can you use the 8x8 grid as a mini arrange view?

Oh and by the by, this month Computer Music put out an Ableton special magazine with loads of guides and Live Packs.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 17, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

For anyone with an APC40, you might be interested in this video I dug up: http://thestudiosessions.co.uk/

The guy has an incredibly complex custom setup for his APC40 so trying to emulate it perfectly seems like a tall order, but there are a couple of things in there that might be useful to everyone.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Haha my APC40 order finally went through today but my production computer died a few weeks ago :[ At least I can look at it I guess. It's been super interesting watching people figure out how to use it, and when Max for Live comes out it's going to be so loving amazing. Someone will upload a monome emulator within a day and I'll never leave my room.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

stun runner posted:

Haha my APC40 order finally went through today but my production computer died a few weeks ago :[ At least I can look at it I guess. It's been super interesting watching people figure out how to use it, and when Max for Live comes out it's going to be so loving amazing. Someone will upload a monome emulator within a day and I'll never leave my room.
I'm just gonna load up Operator and use the APC as a matrix sequencer and slowly die of malnutrition as I make it bleep and bloop for the rest of my natural life.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Plavski posted:

For anyone with an APC40, you might be interested in this video I dug up: http://thestudiosessions.co.uk/

The guy has an incredibly complex custom setup for his APC40 so trying to emulate it perfectly seems like a tall order, but there are a couple of things in there that might be useful to everyone.

I believe you can download the setup he uses, learning what the buttons do may take some time though and it looks like a more DJ specific setup than I would use

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Where can I get more sounds for my drum racks in ableton? Preferably free, but I don't mind shelling out a bit of cash.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

dookie posted:

Where can I get more sounds for my drum racks in ableton? Preferably free, but I don't mind shelling out a bit of cash.

http://machines.hyperreal.org/samples.html

Something like this what you're looking for?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dookie posted:

http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfox-ORpTKQ

Boing. Boom Tschak.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
I'm using the slicer in Ableton, but the phrases I'm slicing are from a song at a tempo of 100 bpm. My own song is at 80 bpm, so the slices sound like if they are "cut" at the very end, I guess because they play faster than the tempo of my song, so they don't "fill" the MIDI note's length.

Any chance to correct this? In an audio track I can repitch the samples, but I don't seem to find where to repitch MIDI slices.

Thanks in advance!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Import the beats in Live first, warp the audio, freeze/flatten the track - voila, you now have a 80 bpm phrase. Save it, slice it. Slicing results in a Drum Rack which has one Simpler per key; Simpler does not have stretching options built in (Impulse has, but the freeze/flatten will probably result in better quality).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KaosPV posted:

I'm using the slicer in Ableton, but the phrases I'm slicing are from a song at a tempo of 100 bpm. My own song is at 80 bpm, so the slices sound like if they are "cut" at the very end, I guess because they play faster than the tempo of my song, so they don't "fill" the MIDI note's length.

Any chance to correct this? In an audio track I can repitch the samples, but I don't seem to find where to repitch MIDI slices.

Thanks in advance!
Double click the drum you want to adjust and in the waveform editor, grab the < and > icons and move them to the required length.

You can also adjust the loop length to extend of shorten sections of the hit.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
On another forum, someone asked how to make those "spraycan" effects in current dance music. Well - that's simple, just take white noise and start filtering it (or not), automate the volume/cutoff if you have to; sidechain compress it for good measure so it takes a nice dip every time the kick sounds.

Then a more interesting question was asked - how do you make white noise with Ableton?

After all, if you don't have the Suite, you don't have Operator or Analog which would be the first two places to look for in Ableton itself. Sure, you can get something like Synth1 and use the noise source in that. What would you do if you didn't have all of that - just Live itself?

Put the following together:
Vinyl Distortion (Crackle volume, Density en Drive on max, Tracing Model peaks around the center).
Multiband Compression (preset: OTT).
Reverb (15 seconds, high quality), diffusion network filters bypassed.
Multiband Compression (preset: Flatline).

Resample the master - and now you get usable white noise. Neat! But, what happens if you put an actual instrument on it? Well - this.

original (a resampled Synth1 minor chord, standard Detroit fare):
http://www.theheartcore.com/music/white_src.mp3

Add the effects listed above:
http://www.theheartcore.com/music/white_norm.mp3

Reverse it - gee wiz, this would actually work pretty nice as an intro sound with a dry, deep kick starting right behind it:
http://www.theheartcore.com/music/white_rev.mp3

Lesson learned; do not be afraid to go hog-wild with Ableton's effects. Just render/bounce the result directly to tape because it's pretty useless in an actual set.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 22, 2009

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Yoozer posted:

original (a resampled Synth1 minor chord, standard Detroit fare):

Add the effects listed above:

Were these meant to be the same link?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Whoops, no. Fixed.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I spent most of this afternoon screwing around with TouchOSC, which is an iPhone/iPod Touch app that works like a mini JazzMutant Lemur, letting you build custom touchscreen layouts with faders, buttons, xy pads etc. that you can use to control your music apps via OSC. Live does not support OSC natively so you have to use either Pd + MIDI Yoke (Windows) or OSCulator (Mac) as an intermediary to translate OSC to MIDI. This here walkthough is really helpful if you're on Windows.

It's pretty cool. The small size of the touchscreen is somewhat limiting, but there's something that feels really fluid about controlling things this way, compared to a regular hardware controller. Interface goes a long way.

If you already have an iPhone or a Touch, you should check this out for sure (TouchOSC is $5). If you're using it with a Pd + Live setup, I made a Pd patch that's a little more optimized for Live than the one on the Hexler site -- specifically it makes it easier to use the 4x4 beat grid in the "Simple" template with Live's Drum Racks.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 23, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So, did the whole online collabing thing just get thrown out the window or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

:words:

Or you could always just load the white noise sample that comes in the Ableton library into a Simpler and go hog wild. :v: