Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Is anyone religious? Priests or paladins? Their gods will be extremely unhappy with this behavior, and might even stop granting them spells/powers until they make up for it.

When my players do something like this I like to turn it into a hard choice. You tied up the guy, so he was defenseless when the aboleth's cult/minions came to get him, knowing he was the only man in the city who can make these potions and therefore their master's Achilles heel. Now they've not only robbed an innocent man, they've put him in danger of his life. The aboleth has him in an underwater air pocket and is slowly charming him over to its side. If it converts him he will be making ole aboleth and his underwater army a shitload of potions of air breathing and the city is about to find out just how many creepy-crawlies it has under it.

I'd now make them choose between using the potions as originally intended and going after the aboleth or using them to rescue the potion maker. I'd make it very clear that going after the aboleth now was a one-and-done; if they don't get it this time there's no one who can make new potions and nowhere near enough time to go find someone who can. I'd also make really clear that the potion master did MUCH MUCH more for the people of the city than make these potions of water breathing. Maybe something really dastardly and heart-tugging like them meeting the matron of the local orphanage who is beside herself since her children's medicine is dependent on this alchemist or something like that, something that shows life in the city will begin to decline in quality if they don't get him back soon. Oh, and that decline? That will be their fault. Can they live with it?

Then make them choose, and make them suffer the (fair, realistic) consequences of that choice. Swing and a miss at the aboleth? The city falls. Save the potion master? Depending on circumstances, you might have just made some powerful allies, but in the course of the rescue you've absolutely warned the aboleth that someone is coming for it, and it's not stupid...

I will say if I put this one on my party of good characters and they said, "gently caress the town and gently caress that guy we put in deadly danger, we're gettin that monster!" I'd start changing the campaign to make them more villainous. After this one shakes out they'd get a hobgoblin or something offering to hire them, "My master says you guys are of... questionable ethics? We've got a job that's just right for you... it might involve killing some elven children, but you've already shown you've got the stomach for that kind of thing, you know?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

Is anyone religious? Priests or paladins? Their gods will be extremely unhappy with this behavior, and might even stop granting them spells/powers until they make up for it.

When my players do something like this I like to turn it into a hard choice. You tied up the guy, so he was defenseless when the aboleth's cult/minions came to get him, knowing he was the only man in the city who can make these potions and therefore their master's Achilles heel. Now they've not only robbed an innocent man, they've put him in danger of his life. The aboleth has him in an underwater air pocket and is slowly charming him over to its side. If it converts him he will be making ole aboleth and his underwater army a shitload of potions of air breathing and the city is about to find out just how many creepy-crawlies it has under it.

I'd now make them choose between using the potions as originally intended and going after the aboleth or using them to rescue the potion maker. I'd make it very clear that going after the aboleth now was a one-and-done; if they don't get it this time there's no one who can make new potions and nowhere near enough time to go find someone who can. I'd also make really clear that the potion master did MUCH MUCH more for the people of the city than make these potions of water breathing. Maybe something really dastardly and heart-tugging like them meeting the matron of the local orphanage who is beside herself since her children's medicine is dependent on this alchemist or something like that, something that shows life in the city will begin to decline in quality if they don't get him back soon. Oh, and that decline? That will be their fault. Can they live with it?

Then make them choose, and make them suffer the (fair, realistic) consequences of that choice. Swing and a miss at the aboleth? The city falls. Save the potion master? Depending on circumstances, you might have just made some powerful allies, but in the course of the rescue you've absolutely warned the aboleth that someone is coming for it, and it's not stupid...

I will say if I put this one on my party of good characters and they said, "gently caress the town and gently caress that guy we put in deadly danger, we're gettin that monster!" I'd start changing the campaign to make them more villainous. After this one shakes out they'd get a hobgoblin or something offering to hire them, "My master says you guys are of... questionable ethics? We've got a job that's just right for you... it might involve killing some elven children, but you've already shown you've got the stomach for that kind of thing, you know?"
they were explicitly setting out not to do this op

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_FQU4KzN7A

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Wouldn't the alignment shift be on the Law/Chaos axis because they're still doing an overall good thing, just saying "the law does not help us here"? I'm not 100% on the alignment thing because I hate it.

If they feel its not possible and you think it is then you probably need to give them more information, but that sort of thing can be trick if there's meant to be surprises.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

EthanSteele posted:

Wouldn't the alignment shift be on the Law/Chaos axis because they're still doing an overall good thing, just saying "the law does not help us here"? I'm not 100% on the alignment thing because I hate it.

If they feel its not possible and you think it is then you probably need to give them more information, but that sort of thing can be trick if there's meant to be surprises.

I talked to them about alignment when it happened. We all agreed it was a chaotic act, and mostly neutral on the good/evil scale, maybe evil if they don’t try to make amends later. That said, I established before the game even started that a single act isn’t enough to shift alignment. A habit would be. So I think my group is happy about how this fits with alignment. If they kept doing this sort of thing, yes, they’d all shift towards chaotic. But this one time? Well, they do feel genuine remorse, and they do strongly feel that their actions are backed by necessity. That time limit is breathing down their necks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Technically the 4E alignment thing is a single axis that goes lawful good - good - unaligned - evil - chaotic evil anyway. And also has no impact whatsoever on the game.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
True, but while we enjoy 4e’s combat, we also enjoy traditional alignments. Heck, we run a 5x5 grid instead of a 3x3, including the extremes Exalted/Vile and Axiomatic/Anarchic. And houseruled items, rituals, etc can use alignments as keywords just like any other keyword in the game. It’s not like traditional alignments are incompatible with the system.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I will never understand why alignment systems still exist. Like, if a sword doesnt work with people who do evil things, cant the GM just decide when to apply that? Does there need to be a hard mechanical rule and a checkbox on your character sheet?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hello! In a Stars Without Number Revised game, I'm trying to create a fun bomb defuse scenario for a 4 party team that consists of a hacker, a pilot/fixer, a melee brute, and a psychic. Basically, the bomb is on a timer where each attempt will subtract a time die (so they can take some time to think about their solutions). If the bomb explodes, it destroys a supercomputer that contains vats of innocent slave psychic aliens who are powering the machine. If the bomb explodes, they have to find another way to analyze their ancient artifact. The timer allows them to either save the slaves by releasing them and escaping OR analyzing the data and escaping. Beating the timer means they can do both or go evil and turn a functioning organic supercomputer to the Rebels, who are paying good money for their services. They've also expressed a desire to keep the conquered asteroid base but haven't discovered the horrifying computer in the basement yet. So that's what's on the line.

The bomb defusal should work like this:
1) a psychic shield that they can either brute force or the psychic can use his powers to manipulate
2) armor that can be pried open or destroyed by the melee brute
3) a security device that the fixer has to disable
4) so the hacker can disarm the bomb itself

So now I'm stuck. I'm not sure whether I should give them a maximum amount of tries before an attempt fails (like 2x attempts to disable the shield before the bomb locks access down) or allow unlimited attempts with an increasingly difficult DC (ie. 8, then 10, then 12). Either way, I will allow particularly clever solutions to bypass the DC or lower it. I like the latter because they can keep trying stuff before they run out of time die. The former is nice because it forces them to really consider what they try but might lock them out arbitrarily due to bad rolls, but they would get to know about the lockout in advance. My main concern with the latter is I am not sure if 15 attempts makes this too easy. Also, should I tell them how many time die they get or how much time it represents? Or let them figure it out as I subtract them based on the known total time (20 minutes, with 5 minutes needed to reach their ship for an escape). I was thinking 1 die per minute. Roll a 1d6 and if it's over 2 then a minute has passed and I only roll on defuse attempts.

There's also a gaggle of scientists and a mad scientist leader in the room. I'm considering having the mad scientist truly be mad and may offer advice to them in a crazy person way if things get too difficult.

Thanks!

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 16, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I have a new player joining our D&D 5e game who wants to be a wolfman. Not a werewolf, a wolfman. This is fine in the lore, beastmen are established and our wizard is a moleman using Deep Gnome stats. None of us are experienced enough players to know if there's a better choice than human to reskin as a wolfman. Half-orc, maybe? Any suggestions are welcome and if it's something from a specific D&D book I almost definitely have it - I just need to know where to look. Thank you!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You could probably adapt the bugbear race out of volo's. They're strong, sneaky, but you might wanna replace the abilities related to their size unless your wolfman is going to be a very large one.

Edit: the Theros book also has Leonin and it wouldn't be that hard to adapt lion people to wolf people. They have a roar ability you might consider replacing.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 17, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Glagha posted:

You could probably adapt the bugbear race out of volo's. They're strong, sneaky, but you might wanna replace the abilities related to their size unless your wolfman is going to be a very large one.

Edit: the Theros book also has Leonin and it wouldn't be that hard to adapt lion people to wolf people. They have a roar ability you might consider replacing.

Or just refluff it as a howl?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Glagha posted:

Leraika posted:

Or just refluff it as a howl?

This and this. Thanks both.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

in the planning phases of running curse of strahd and i can't help but notice that the vistani are incredibly racist depictions of the roma people! what's the standard fix for this? i'd rather not cut them out of the campaign entirely if i can help it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Declan MacManus posted:

in the planning phases of running curse of strahd and i can't help but notice that the vistani are incredibly racist depictions of the roma people! what's the standard fix for this? i'd rather not cut them out of the campaign entirely if i can help it

I've seen this post make the rounds as one way to rework the vistani:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CurseofStrahd/comments/8ymg7y/fleshing_out_curse_of_strahd_tser_pool_the/

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

Make them Conan-style nomads instead, complete with rippling biceps, long hair and oiled muscles.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Whybird posted:

Make them Conan-style nomads instead, complete with rippling biceps, long hair and oiled muscles.

Madam Eva does a prophetic wrestle with the biggest PC.

"This move... *grunt* is a symbol of great power. It tells of... *strain* a powerful force for good against the forces of... *hard pull* darkness."

Your opposed strength check gives the suit. Pass is diamonds, pass by more than 7 or whatever is hearts. Failure is clubs and spades.

"The figure-four armlock... *mighty effort* blesses your skill there, but bodes poorly... *snapping tendons* for your protection."

The winner of the grapple deals a d8 damage, indicating the type of card.

"Madam Eva lifts your over her head and, incredibly, holds you there for a second as she hisses: 'This is in a place of dizzying heights that all loathe to travel! The road winds ever upward...' As you come crashing down in a patch of gravel, she says: '...and the rocks themselves live here.'
...or...
"You slip out of her calloused fists before she can do real damage and catch her in the gut with a wild swing. Gasping for breath, she hisses 'This... is in the mother's place.'"

Five rounds in total. The longer you last, the more info you get. Mother Eva has exactly 40 hit points.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Muscle Mystic is the obvious and better cousin to Muscle Wizard.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Is giving my group of level five players the chance to acquire an item that can cast passwall once a day, with the catch that it makes a loud noise when it does so(it'll be a big two-handed pickaxe) going to be a move I regret?

It would also only work on stone and most likely be permanent, rather than the passageway closing back up. I'm trying to stock a magic item shop and making sure nothing in there is too good or too big a cheat code.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Baller Ina posted:

Is giving my group of level five players the chance to acquire an item that can cast passwall once a day, with the catch that it makes a loud noise when it does so(it'll be a big two-handed pickaxe) going to be a move I regret?

It would also only work on stone and most likely be permanent, rather than the passageway closing back up. I'm trying to stock a magic item shop and making sure nothing in there is too good or too big a cheat code.

That depends entirely on the kind of challenges you're putting in front of them.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Baller Ina posted:

1) no but yes thirty sessions later when you forgot about it and it breaks a session somehow

2) yes as it will be used as a swiss army knife and come up constantly

are the most likely possibilities. but it is better to do something you regret than to regret doing nothing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naw thats badass. Its also a thing they can lose if they misuse it e.g. in a town.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
An item that can cast Passwall 1x/day would have myriad non-adventurer uses. Tunnels are useful (imagine digging a path through a mountain to establish a new trade route); so are trenches for irrigation or for "I want this hill to not be here any more." If the party having this thing gets problematic, you can start hounding them with attention at every civilized place they go to.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I tend to like giving my players tools and things rather than just stat bonuses. That particular one sounds interesting. Players are almost always going to break your game in some way or another, you may as well give them tools you can plan for.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, your PCs coming up with a cool way to break your plot in two with an item you have them isn't a bug, it's a feature. It makes them feel clever and you can always reuse the stuff they skipped over at a later date.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The number of times my players have gone "ooh, is there a ___ in there?" And there hasn't been but I said yes and gave it to them is a lot of times. Most recently they broke into an apartment and one of them had detect poison and went "oo, is there Oil of Taggit in here?" And I was like "yeap, sure is sure there *flips pages to find it* yeap, one vial right there."

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I agree that throwing caution to the wind and seeing if my players surprise me is the way to go, so the pickaxe is a go. I'll probably price fairly high, since they're rolling in thousands of gold already(kind of my fault, I guess) but it'll be exciting to see if they go for it and come up with something interesting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I realized I've been going about one of my subplots all wrong.

For a time the party worked for this disfunctional council of villains where betrayal was always just around the corner. My idea was always they'd have to eventually decide to permanently join one (or none) of them, but they had different ideas and managed to broker a deal between two factions while eliminating the others. I still kept thinking about how these two could now plot against each other, even though I'd promised my group this would be the end of the politics aspect, so I just got frustrated I couldn't use any of the cool betrayal ideas.

But then I thought... isn't it actually just as interesting if these two factions genuinely bond and become a more major player in the world at large? Before, they were an independent authoritarian military force and the Drow. Now they could have a cultural exchange and be an authoritarian military force using Drow tactics. And it's all the party's fault.

So here's where I could use a spark of inspiration:

On the one side we've got an army trained to fight demons with religious zeal, basically your standard lawful evil ends-justify-the-means faction. Their main threat to all that's good and just is, where do they turn their attention if they defeat the demons?
On the other we've got your standard Drow. Xenophobic, culturally primed towards background machinations and betrayal, masters of underhanded methods like poison and traps. In the big picture, also a plausibly deniable way for the elves as a whole to get poo poo done when diplomacy fails.

What actually does happen (and send the forces of good into a minor panic) when these two join forces?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
So what if the Drow manage to convince the army of the justness of their cause? The army declare the Drow's imprisonment underground to have been unjust and promise to fight against the elves who cursed them to be harmed by sunlight until this curse is lifted.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If your Drow operate in politics, I imagine they are probably capable of installing Drow-friendly political puppets after they eliminate a political threat. If your zealous crusaders follow the Drow's strategy, but apply it to hell and demons, then that would mean that the zealots would need to find someway to replace the current head demons with someone more human-friendly. Like a human. Depending on how demons work in your setting, the zealots could try to corrupt various heads of state and religion to send them to a politically powerful position in hell after they are assassinated. Or the zealots could begin acquiring some magical mcguffins that control demons, and force those control devices into the hands of good-aligned NPCs. Or the zealots could instate themselves as the leaders of hell, and begin a war with all that is impure and evil throughout your main plane.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Could someone who has Rime of the Frostmaiden spoil the deal with the buried netherese city for me? I've got a rough trilogy campaign planned out covering Dragon Heist, Descent into Avernus and Rime of the Frostmaiden, and I want to do some foreshadowing of the events in Rime when we kick off Descent in a few months. My understanding of the broad story arc in Rime is (huge spoilers if what I've been told is true) You kill Auril the goddess of Winter, or her avatar maybe? And then something something buried netherese city.

Broad strokes that I'm hoping can slot in well here:
In my campaign's version of FR, Mephistopheles lord of the Eighth was destroyed during his invasion of Waterdeep back in around 1372DR and replaced by the mortal who defeated him. She split Mephisopheles soul into three gems, and her long term plan is to swallow Auril and become Faerun's god of Winter. Rime of the Frostmaiden, from what I've heard, sounds like it will work perfectly for this, but it kind of depends what happens in that city at the end of the adventure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reveilled posted:

Could someone who has Rime of the Frostmaiden spoil the deal with the buried netherese city for me? I've got a rough trilogy campaign planned out covering Dragon Heist, Descent into Avernus and Rime of the Frostmaiden, and I want to do some foreshadowing of the events in Rime when we kick off Descent in a few months. My understanding of the broad story arc in Rime is (huge spoilers if what I've been told is true) You kill Auril the goddess of Winter, or her avatar maybe? And then something something buried netherese city.

Broad strokes that I'm hoping can slot in well here:
In my campaign's version of FR, Mephistopheles lord of the Eighth was destroyed during his invasion of Waterdeep back in around 1372DR and replaced by the mortal who defeated him. She split Mephisopheles soul into three gems, and her long term plan is to swallow Auril and become Faerun's god of Winter. Rime of the Frostmaiden, from what I've heard, sounds like it will work perfectly for this, but it kind of depends what happens in that city at the end of the adventure.

I am about to work, so I don't have time to go over it now. But I will do a run down in a few hours later.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am about to work, so I don't have time to go over it now. But I will do a run down in a few hours later.

Much appreciated, thanks :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So spoilers ahead.

The Netherese City of Ythryn was a flying city led by a Netherese Lich an a massive group of lesser mages under him. However they picked up an artifact known as the Spindle, which had a strange effect of disrupting magic. This interfered with the Mythaller that let that city fly, and caused it to fall into the Reghed Glacier. (This also crushed a poor frost giant who happened to be below it at the time. It also a sealed a gnoll under the ice that became a vampire out of it's hunger.) Many of the mages like the Lich were able to save themselves using magic, but the Spindle's effects prevented them from using the Mythaller to lift the city back up, and it interfered with any attempts to teleport or planeshift or the like away. It also spread a disease, called Arcane blight that drives people to madness and turns them into Nothics. Even after the Spindle's impeding effects ended 50 years later, by that point the trapped mages had all become nothics, or insane undead, the lich having degraded into a demilich for example. And now all are trapped under the glacier. The fall of Netheril itself having happened only 4 years after Ythryn's fall.

In the present Auril goddess of winter has retreated to the material plane after a falling out with the other gods of fury. Her decision to not leave Toril with most of the other gods after the Sundering causes her to give up power. To rejuvenate herself and because she is a jerk, two years prior to the story starting she started casting a nightly spell that prevents the sun from rising over Icewind Dale, isolating the region from the rest of the world with an endless worsening winter. Maintaining the effect and stilling granting her followers power has also further weakened Auril, but the blizzards and other effects she has created have kept her island home safe and isolated.

Ten Towns is suffering under the endless winter, and have started making drastic sacrifices to Auril to appease her. The bigger towns are sacrificing people by exiling people chosen by lottery into the frozen wilderness. The towns that can't afford to give up people are giving up their food, and the towns that can't afford that are giving up their warmth. Things are also going to get worse for Ten Towns due to Duergar Clan Sunblight, it's leader Xardrock Sunblight plans to make the first surface Kingdom for the Duergar, his people not being particularly bothered by the cold and Auril keeping the sun hidden, Icewind Dale was the perfect location to set up. Xardrock is also obsessed with the crystalline substance called Chardyln that can only be found in Icewind Dale. He is making a Dragon Construct out of the stuff and plans to send it to destroy Ten Towns.

Also involved are the Arcane Brotherhood. Four of its members having come to Icewind Dale to find Ythryn. One of them makes friends with the PC's if they deal with Sunblight and seeks their aid in getting to Ythryn telling them that they should be able to end the Winter if they can use the cities Mythaller to control the weather.
However to get into to Ythryn, the party needs to go to Auril's Island in the sea of moving ice to steal an artifact that will open up the glacier and the way to Ythryn. While at the island the party can theoretically confront Auril there defeat her and end the winter that way. More likely they would get their asses kicked doing that. It's easier to steal the artifact as Auril won't go after the party until she learns they have gone to Ythryn, as Auril views it's frozen form as a jewel in frozen collection of objects and artifacts and takes issue with anyone trying to take from it.

Ythryn has a bunch of dangers and treasures, three of witch can fix the problem. The Mythaller can change the weather, there is a Scroll of Tarrasque summoning and dropping it on Auril's island fixes the problem. (dropping it anywhere else creates an even bigger problem.) And lastly an Obelisk that if activated will reset the world to before Ythryn's fall. (This last one is impossible to do accidentally as it involves being ticked by an evil undead creature.) However once in Ythryn the party will have to deal with a rival arcane brotherhood wizard backed by the Archdevil Levistus. and then a day after that assuming she has not been dealt with Auril.

If you want me to elaborate on anything feel free to ask.

Also you can inform that person that was interested in the summary in the D&D thread that I posted the info here.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Ahh, that's perfect, thank you. That's going to work perfectly with only a few minor adjustments.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Any recommended resources for planning heists?

Upon leaving a train where they killed the arc's antagonist, they're going to get mobbed by some reported for various Sharn newspapers and hopefully they'll bite at some interviews. Either way they'll be mentioned in the paper and later get a note from the Daask sub-boss with something along the lines of "Saw you on the news, we'll have to chat real soon. Tootles."

Then if/when the players come in contact they're going to basically be told to make up for the death of their lieutenant, the PCs are going to swipe a cypher from a Cannith lab.

Also my wife has agreed to dress up and be a news anchor for Sharn News, so we're gonna write her a script to do.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
For lack of a better term, how "heisty" do your players want this to go? This will help us determine if you want blueprints or good mechanics to steal from other games.

Some folks are going to appreciate you stealing from Blades in The Dark, especially the idea of flashing back to a preparation roll during a heist. Everybody gets a flashback skill use and a secret tool to use during the heist, except for rogues or suchlike who get 2. Don't even pretend to care how they got that apparatus of the crab, much less how it ended up in a crate marked "bathtub." Try to run the whole thing without ever stopping for a proper planning stage.

Others are so into planning the heist you can run it twice. Once with your characters selling their plan to extremely skeptical clients who want a blow by blow description of what is going to happen, down to the round. The clients original plan involves hiding out in crates or whatever for an unreasonable amount of time. Then you play out what really goes down during the heist. Nobody expects the local VIP to visit, or to accidentally unleash the Gibbering Mouther used to generate randomness for cipher creation.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I'm gonna look into the first, but my players probably lean toward the second.

Oh man I hadn't considered that approach though.

"Before you is the courtyard, patrolled by two guards. Tik, how did you plan for this."

*Flashback interaction with a roll*

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

So I'm gonna look into the first, but my players probably lean toward the second.

Oh man I hadn't considered that approach though.

"Before you is the courtyard, patrolled by two guards. Tik, how did you plan for this."

*Flashback interaction with a roll*

The leverage rpg also has a flashback mechanic to mimic how the tv show worked (for all I know it was based on blades in the dark) if you wanted another option/a visual reference in the form of a heist based tv series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I don't know who had the idea first, but flashback rolls are great.

My first thought for approaching a planning based heist is to steal from a very... controversial quote, "...to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know." I would recommend also throwing in an unknown known, the elephant in the room, something that people know but pretend not to.

Start with plenty of known knowns. What keeps people from randomly walking in off the street? How long is the local patrol route? If a fire starts how long will it take people to start fighting it? How are the weekly shipments of silver checked at the front gate? The head secretary has a thing for short brunettes? Lots of this stuff is available with no rolls to people with the right skills and time. Most of the easy stuff should already be compiled by the client. Make sure that there is at least moderate time pressure to actually start the heist.

Next are the known unknowns. Nobody knows the secret to how they make truly unbreakable ciphers, but they do know the secret is in the left half of the dungeon. Nobody ever reported back from trying to enter through the sewer, which says a lot about the place. Nobody knows what happens to the silver once it goes in, there aren't silver coins or golems coming out in plain sight. The people inside the facility are actively keeping these secrets, finding clues will take difficult decisions and time. Ideally there should be enough information for wild speculation and 2 or 3 possible preparations. Part of me says you want the players to nail one, have one accounted for under plan b, and have one which makes perfect sense in retrospect. The larger part says write down the answer ahead of time, so you can't change things after the fact to line up with those expectations.

Finally there are the unknown unknowns, stuff that the players have no idea about. Heck the folks guarding the place probably don't know about half of these. This is where other crews running the same job, doppleganger infiltrators, legitimate surprise inspections, warlock secretaries, etc. come in. Players can certainly mitigate the effects of this stuff by having lookouts and flexible parts of the plan, but there should be minimal foreshadowing. Might be a good excuse to write up a table of external surprises and another of internal surprises, to be rolled on the night of.

For extra drama throw in an unknown known or two. This is stuff that people know, but are deeply in denial about or otherwise refuse to plan for. The client that is sure they can distract the secretary, but doesn't admit that they went through a messy breakup. The commandant is known to be slumming it after a screwup, actually fought with/against the PCs in the past and suffered from it.