Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

empathe posted:

Yeah, if he doesn't fight, the party may suspect/turn on him.

Or roll really high on an Insight check?

Have you considered that the NPC really believes the rites will work, but the same outcome happens and you can deal with the fallout of that with a relative back in the village?

This is the easy fix, use this. If the elder isn't lying it eliminates the chance you're forcing your players to fail their Insight checks for the sake of plot. Instead you can have Insight reveal that the elder maybe has never had to do this before and doesn't actually know it will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Elfgames posted:

naw that's against corporate policy but he totally has dreams about starting his own shop and striking it big with dragonroasted coffee

He's got an ice hydra friend who can make a mean frappé.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you're doing a 1 shot, why give the Heroic Sacrifice to an NPC?

minema
May 31, 2011
People still seem to want to play after what I felt was an awful session last time so I'm back for more advice!

First thing is that there's a specific weapon they are looking for, and the NPC who has it will be on a gambling ship that I will be using later and so want to foreshadow. I was thinking it might be fun if they try and get the weapon through gambling and maybe do a quick dice game or something and let their skills give them an advantage or disadvantage in the game. Have people done this before, if so did it work well and what game did they use? We often play board games as a group so I know they do enjoy that sort of thing. I'll also make sure there's an alternative way for them to get the weapon if they lose the game or don't want to gamble.

The other question - last game they visited an eccentric gnome shopkeeper who sold weird magic items. Two of the characters took mystery rings from him to 'test' them for a discount on their shopping. I want them to have some sort of magical effect that will be discovered at an inconvenient/funny time. Nothing too serious or frustrating, I want it to be a funny aside, although it'd be a bonus if it was something they could turn into a positive. One ring is obsidian and one is wood.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

minema posted:

First thing is that there's a specific weapon they are looking for, and the NPC who has it will be on a gambling ship that I will be using later and so want to foreshadow. I was thinking it might be fun if they try and get the weapon through gambling and maybe do a quick dice game or something and let their skills give them an advantage or disadvantage in the game. Have people done this before, if so did it work well and what game did they use? We often play board games as a group so I know they do enjoy that sort of thing. I'll also make sure there's an alternative way for them to get the weapon if they lose the game or don't want to gamble.

If you have gambling as a plot point, it's often more fun in my experience if the gambling is scenery rather than a plot point. Think to every time there's a high-stakes gambling game in a film: the result is never as simple as "James Bond wins because he is a better gambler, next scene". Who else is at the game? What else is on offer? What do you have to pay to get in (and can the players even afford the entrance fee?) Is the dealer crooked? Are the other players crooked? Are the other players more important than they're letting on?

quote:

The other question - last game they visited an eccentric gnome shopkeeper who sold weird magic items. Two of the characters took mystery rings from him to 'test' them for a discount on their shopping. I want them to have some sort of magical effect that will be discovered at an inconvenient/funny time. Nothing too serious or frustrating, I want it to be a funny aside, although it'd be a bonus if it was something they could turn into a positive. One ring is obsidian and one is wood.

A ring of detect spiders which gives a vocal warning slightly too late. Like, after the party have noticed that there are giant webs all around the cave they're in.
"Warning! You are about to be attacked by a giant spider."
"Warning! You are being attacked by a giant spider."
"Warning! You have been severely wounded by a giant spider."

When you remove it, it assumes this is because you've died and switches to:
"Warning! The giant spider which killed this ring's previous owner may still be present."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

minema posted:

While aboard a luxury riverboat in our Warhammer fantasy RPG campaign, I let my players play blackjack as an opportunity to win a little money and also get to know some of the other passengers in a believable environment. Blackjack is simple enough to play without it being a big distraction, but I still limited it to five rounds per in-game day (it was a week long cruise) just so that it didn't end up with the players just sat round trying to endlessly win money all night.

To make sure character skills got used instead of this just being 'we sit around and play blackjack IRL for a bit', characters with the gambling skill could take increasingly difficult tests as a 'do-over' to replace a card they just drew with another one, to represent that their character would probably know when to hit or stay better than the real life person does. Similarly, characters with sleight of hand could attempt to keep a card after a round, then take another test to swap it with another one provided the dealer was sufficiently distracted.

As for an alternative way to get the weapon... it's an RPG. Find a way to steal it, kill the person holding it, set up an elaborate ambush when it's being carried somewhere else, bargain with the person that did win it and maybe they'll trade it for something else... players will always find a way (usually something I didn't think of).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

minema posted:

I like the idea of them being beta testers and having to deal with irritating glitches (maybe make them write up reports for the gnome to go off of when he tries to fix them? "If ring is worn for more than a fortnight uninterrupted, food begins to taste more and more strongly of raisins." "Working as intended.")

If you're looking for further magical item inspiration, this has been a fun read for me.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 21, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

minema posted:

It makes the hand it's on invisible.

It makes the character completely blind, except for seeing invisible things. This ability only activates around invisible things - maybe activation isn't voluntary.

It allows the character to speak Draconic. Only Draconic.

Anything the wearer says is deafening (as a lowish level at-will magic attack suited to your particular game system), even if they try to whisper.

The wood ring is intelligent but has no particularly useful skills or abilities. All it can remember is that it used to be a tree, and it's somewhat irritated about its current state.

The obsidian ring grants the ability to subsist on lava in lieu of food and water. The immunity to burning only applies to the inside of your mouth and your digestive tract, however.

The wood ring allows someone to subsist on sunlight and water and good soil, as long as they bury themselves in the ground waist-deep.

The skeleton of anyone killed by the ring bearer bursts from its corpse. Not as an animate skeleton, just a pile of clean bones.

Whenever the ring wearer strikes a living creature in anger, the contents of their left and right hands immediately switch places.

The ring wearer is debilitated/terrified (with obnoxious but not overwhelming penalties; something like -2 to stuff in a d20 game) whenever [monster type] is within a short distance. Removing it is easy as long as they aren't around.

The ring locks any unlocked door with a working lock that the wearer touches.

The ring makes all speech in a radius completely unintelligible.

The ring is a telepathic link to some faraway stranger who the party has never met. This person has no more idea how or why this is happening than you do.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Cease to Hope posted:

It makes the character completely blind, except for seeing invisible things. This ability only activates around invisible things - maybe activation isn't voluntary.

I've done this one before except it was a blindfold. It was a fun item.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
The obsidian ring causes the wearer to appear to be at full health, no matter how badly injured, and masks any spells that detect undead.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

So I'm going to repost this here because it got buried in the 5e thread

We just started PotA and I'm GM'ing but out of my 6 players 4 of them are new and their first adventure was lost cave of phandalin or whatever but I didn't run it.

I told them I'd let them sandbox so one session in im integrating a circus into the plot, probably gonna throw some cults at it.

I'm also gonna focus a lot on drivebys by rival cults that the players will just run into or otherwise observe because I'm running kind of rules light rule of cool for this crew. I'm already scattering plot hooks to the wind and seeing what happens but I also have a few ideas to throw them back on the tracks a little. I want the town to feel alive and I want to really ramp up reprisals and crazy poo poo happening around the characters

One of my players is playing a kenku warlock. When I need them to pick a hook I'm going to have a chickenman (aasimar?) pick a 1v1 fistfight with him and do the family guy fight across town joke to drop them off somewhere relevant.

Mechanically I'm just doing a bunch of grapples and throws right? I'm a 2e guy this is my second 5e game. Is there a way to construct a fight in town that forces them to keep moving?

Like the game my players are really looking to play is Saints Row x Dark Souls. I've got lists of throwaway quests and all kinds of hilarious hijinx to slot in but I'm so rusty at d&d and I need to read up on it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cease to Hope posted:

The skeleton of anyone killed by the ring bearer bursts from its corpse. Not as an animate skeleton, just a pile of clean bones.

There's a certain type of necromancer that would trade their own mother for that. It lets you completely skip the part of the process where you bury the corpse in flesh-eating insects and wait a week for them to skeletonize it.

Also, cooks and fishermen. Instant fish fillets!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Whybird posted:

If you have gambling as a plot point, it's often more fun in my experience if the gambling is scenery rather than a plot point. Think to every time there's a high-stakes gambling game in a film: the result is never as simple as "James Bond wins because he is a better gambler, next scene". Who else is at the game? What else is on offer? What do you have to pay to get in (and can the players even afford the entrance fee?) Is the dealer crooked? Are the other players crooked? Are the other players more important than they're letting on?

A ring of detect spiders which gives a vocal warning slightly too late. Like, after the party have noticed that there are giant webs all around the cave they're in.
"Warning! You are about to be attacked by a giant spider."
"Warning! You are being attacked by a giant spider."
"Warning! You have been severely wounded by a giant spider."

When you remove it, it assumes this is because you've died and switches to:
"Warning! The giant spider which killed this ring's previous owner may still be present."

"WARNING! There are approximately 50 totally harmless spiders nearby"

Edit: The wood one should be a ring of monster identification, however it's in Sir David Attenborough's voice and never quite gets to the point.

"The craterhoof is a curious creature in that it is the most agressive of it's species, it likes to feed on most small anima.."
"OK OK BUT IS IT WEAK TO FIRE I NEED TO KNOW PRETTY FUCKIN QUICK"
"The interesting thing about the craterhoof and fire is that many scholars believe..."

AceClown fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 22, 2017

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Casual Encountess posted:

Mechanically I'm just doing a bunch of grapples and throws right? I'm a 2e guy this is my second 5e game. Is there a way to construct a fight in town that forces them to keep moving?

Yeah, I'd imagine it'd mainly be that sort of thing, maybe some improvised weapons. If the hijinks are what you're going for, maybe try and telegraph to the players that this guy isn't trying to kill them, otherwise they might just go for the throat and you'll have a dead chickenman.

I once had the party do a bunch of showy pro wrestling/fight club style matches in order to impress some local illegitimate powers that be. It was mostly ability checks, grapples, and narration, but I had to be careful to project the rules and stakes, or it would have been too easy for them to just murder their way through it.

Maybe a local boss needs a distraction created in certain areas of the town? They have to stay ahead of some people trying to pull off a caper and keep the guards and townsfolk busy watching their sick moves. Needing to progress a fight through certain places in X amount of rounds would be pretty fun and would keep them from just killing a target.

I've also found that a retreating foe yelling taunts at a player will get them to run wherever you want them to if it's nonlethal stakes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

I once had the party do a bunch of showy pro wrestling/fight club style matches in order to impress some local illegitimate powers that be. It was mostly ability checks, grapples, and narration, but I had to be careful to project the rules and stakes, or it would have been too easy for them to just murder their way through it.
I did that once, with the added twist that the party figured out the undefeated masked champion was secretly a zombie. The barbarian went in the ring with him having been told "zombie's good, you don't have to hold back" and misunderstood this so completely that she twisted his head clean off in front of a large crowd. All's well that ends well, though: in the ensuing panic, the party managed to rob the box office.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Hey folks; I'm trying to hack together a call of cthulhu-inspired one-shot/scenario for some friends based on the FATE-version of Acthung Cthulhu! We're all newbs when it comes to roleplaying so I'd love some feedback, advice and general tips how to do this. Here's the backstory:

There's some unknown creature that has tried to get into the human world by ripping open a portal with the help of local crazies. During its ripping and bashing around it accidently drags people from alternative realities (nearby dimensions) right into this world. While most of them implode when "landing" right into their other self (since the realities are so close to each other) the players characters are lucky enough to survive. The hook is that their other selves are somehow connected to the portal opening in the first place (either by being cultists or investigators trying to figure out what's going on).

Last time we tried FATE, the players didn't really get into the characters they created since there was too much stuff to learn at once so I'm trying to streamline everything into the story. With amnesia and cool tarot cards! First, the players will grab three cards from this weird deck of cards I got hold of with Archetypes. Each card has some spiritual mumbo jumbo with a positive side and a negative one and after picking one of the three, this will become the player-characters' trouble aspect (which will work more like a personallity trouble).

The plan is to throw obstacles at the players, make them use skills and let them pick some that they think are interesting. After that I've grabbed a list of occupations from CoC which they'll be able to pick from that fits loosely with the skills they've picked. So for example if a player looks like he or she enjoys Investigating, being Charismatic and/or Deceiving the occupations to choose from might be Private Investigator, Journalist, Lawyer, Artist etc. In character this will work as some sort of flashback of a lost memory. This will become their concept aspect. They will come up with the remaining Aspects by figuring them out whenever or triggering flashbacks that add some more detail to their character. Also, during the first scenes where the characters meet, the players will explain how the other player's character looks like so there might be some Aspect coming out from that as well.

So for the first question; does this seem like this might work out with the character creation or have I missed some super-important details that I'd know if read GM:ing for dummies?

Storywise it's still pretty sketchy, but here's the first part if anybody's interested in giving some feedback or ideas.

The players begin at or close by a motel on fire. One player will wake up by throwing him- or herself into a bathroom door (Physique check right from the get go, woop woop). After some obstacles of trying to get out and meeting a NPC to roleplay with before the fellow dies in a gruesome way (Sanity check here perhaps, to explain that system) the focus switches to another player waking up driving a car on the road leading to the motel (Drive-check for not crashing BAM!). The third (and I think last) player wakes up in the trunk of this car (Will-check for not loosing his poo poo!). There's an explosion behind some trees which leads the players towards the motel to meet player one. Here the players explain how the others look.
While investigating the area and finding some loot (a gun or two, drugs etc) belonging to the victims at the motel, the players will find a small black box with a symbol that looks like a warped, five-pointed star with a flaming eye in its center (dunDUNDUN). The second clue will be in one of the character's wallets (the ID's will reveal all the players' names); a small piece of paper with what looks like a book title (suggestions for a CoC book about summoning or whatever appreciated!). After a while an old car with a fat bald man and his thugs (if you've seen dirk gently's holistic detective agency on netflix, imagine the mean guy from that) appears and starts shouting to give him back what is rightfully his (the black box). After some chit-chat a conflict erupts.

After this, I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

Either the players kill the meanie and find another clue, the meanie barely escapes or the players are pushed back into the woods so I guess he shouldn't be anyone important? Or should I try to skew the story into him escaping? I'd like the rest of the game to mostly take place in a smaller town nearby. It's set in the early 90's so internet access is scarce (Library, Police Station, someone's home?). The scenario ends with something like the players defeating nasty minions to the big baddie, shutting the portal with the help of the elder sign in the black box and ruining the day for the cultists behind the whole thing. Since the players don't know that they've travelled through dimensions and all that crap I'll add some sort of cliffhanger at the end hinting at it if they enjoy the setting.

Phew, sorry for the wall of text. I figured I'd get a better picture of the whole idea myself by writing it down like this.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hey folks; I'm trying to hack together a call of cthulhu-inspired one-shot/scenario for some friends based on the FATE-version of Acthung Cthulhu! We're all newbs when it comes to roleplaying so I'd love some feedback, advice and general tips how to do this. Here's the backstory:

There's some unknown creature that has tried to get into the human world by ripping open a portal with the help of local crazies. During its ripping and bashing around it accidently drags people from alternative realities (nearby dimensions) right into this world. While most of them implode when "landing" right into their other self (since the realities are so close to each other) the players characters are lucky enough to survive. The hook is that their other selves are somehow connected to the portal opening in the first place (either by being cultists or investigators trying to figure out what's going on).

Last time we tried FATE, the players didn't really get into the characters they created since there was too much stuff to learn at once so I'm trying to streamline everything into the story. With amnesia and cool tarot cards! First, the players will grab three cards from this weird deck of cards I got hold of with Archetypes. Each card has some spiritual mumbo jumbo with a positive side and a negative one and after picking one of the three, this will become the player-characters' trouble aspect (which will work more like a personallity trouble).

The plan is to throw obstacles at the players, make them use skills and let them pick some that they think are interesting. After that I've grabbed a list of occupations from CoC which they'll be able to pick from that fits loosely with the skills they've picked. So for example if a player looks like he or she enjoys Investigating, being Charismatic and/or Deceiving the occupations to choose from might be Private Investigator, Journalist, Lawyer, Artist etc. In character this will work as some sort of flashback of a lost memory. This will become their concept aspect. They will come up with the remaining Aspects by figuring them out whenever or triggering flashbacks that add some more detail to their character. Also, during the first scenes where the characters meet, the players will explain how the other player's character looks like so there might be some Aspect coming out from that as well.

So for the first question; does this seem like this might work out with the character creation or have I missed some super-important details that I'd know if read GM:ing for dummies?

Storywise it's still pretty sketchy, but here's the first part if anybody's interested in giving some feedback or ideas.

The players begin at or close by a motel on fire. One player will wake up by throwing him- or herself into a bathroom door (Physique check right from the get go, woop woop). After some obstacles of trying to get out and meeting a NPC to roleplay with before the fellow dies in a gruesome way (Sanity check here perhaps, to explain that system) the focus switches to another player waking up driving a car on the road leading to the motel (Drive-check for not crashing BAM!). The third (and I think last) player wakes up in the trunk of this car (Will-check for not loosing his poo poo!). There's an explosion behind some trees which leads the players towards the motel to meet player one. Here the players explain how the others look.
While investigating the area and finding some loot (a gun or two, drugs etc) belonging to the victims at the motel, the players will find a small black box with a symbol that looks like a warped, five-pointed star with a flaming eye in its center (dunDUNDUN). The second clue will be in one of the character's wallets (the ID's will reveal all the players' names); a small piece of paper with what looks like a book title (suggestions for a CoC book about summoning or whatever appreciated!). After a while an old car with a fat bald man and his thugs (if you've seen dirk gently's holistic detective agency on netflix, imagine the mean guy from that) appears and starts shouting to give him back what is rightfully his (the black box). After some chit-chat a conflict erupts.

After this, I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

Either the players kill the meanie and find another clue, the meanie barely escapes or the players are pushed back into the woods so I guess he shouldn't be anyone important? Or should I try to skew the story into him escaping? I'd like the rest of the game to mostly take place in a smaller town nearby. It's set in the early 90's so internet access is scarce (Library, Police Station, someone's home?). The scenario ends with something like the players defeating nasty minions to the big baddie, shutting the portal with the help of the elder sign in the black box and ruining the day for the cultists behind the whole thing. Since the players don't know that they've travelled through dimensions and all that crap I'll add some sort of cliffhanger at the end hinting at it if they enjoy the setting.

Phew, sorry for the wall of text. I figured I'd get a better picture of the whole idea myself by writing it down like this.

Quick reply but it all looks good however you need a contingency plan in case your players throw you a curve-ball (and they will).

The lead up looks good, my main thing would be "why do the players want to keep the black hell box?" dude shows up, goes "that's mine" and I can't see a reason why they don't just go "Oh OK, here you go".

What's the urgency? What do the players want to do/know? Why should the players care about any of this?

If you're going for total amnesia then that's a start, maybe the players want to get their memories back, maybe the box contains them but they can't open it, again just quick thinking off the cuff here but fleshing out character motivations seems like it'd help here.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

AceClown posted:

Quick reply but it all looks good however you need a contingency plan in case your players throw you a curve-ball (and they will).

The lead up looks good, my main thing would be "why do the players want to keep the black hell box?" dude shows up, goes "that's mine" and I can't see a reason why they don't just go "Oh OK, here you go".

What's the urgency? What do the players want to do/know? Why should the players care about any of this?

If you're going for total amnesia then that's a start, maybe the players want to get their memories back, maybe the box contains them but they can't open it, again just quick thinking off the cuff here but fleshing out character motivations seems like it'd help here.
Cheers for the feedback. The whole urgency to do something kinda flew by me >_<

The idea was to tie clues to the characters' pasts (black box is found in the car the two players arrive in, note with book title hopefully leading them into a library or place with internet, them ending up at the motel suggesting they were about to meet here for some reason) and the part with the bald man was supposed to be some kind of trigger but yeah, that definately needs some tweaking to become an impending issue (if possible) that puts the player characters' feet on fire. Back to the brainstorming table!

Is making a Scenario Aspect like "Who am I?" a good idea or does it feel too constraining and forced?

Hmm.. how about a stress-track visible to all that takes damage everytime a flashback is triggered? Like a mental injury caused by the reality hopping that slowly kills the players? Would have to balance it so that players get stronger for the price of getting closer to dying.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AceClown posted:

"WARNING! There are approximately 50 totally harmless spiders nearby"

The ring wakes you up several times a week to announce that you've just swallowed a spider.

Sirreal
Jul 27, 2014
I've been a DM for several years now to a variety of groups. I was recently about to undertake a new sort of way of running a D&D adventure. Namely, in running two concurrent campaigns for 2 parties that are enemies to each-other. Long story short, this will likely take the setting of a single city turf war between two rival families vying for control of the city. I was intending to run this for a board game club at my university and to publish a sort of "city newspaper" to hear about what the other party does. In addition I'm currently looking at developing a map of the city divided into districts which when controlled provide benefits to your party and family. This is sort of like a board game in its own right. I was wondering if anyone has run anything similar to this or just had some advice.

The structure basically has 2 parties of 3 set members each with the allowance for 2 drop-in party members. I figure that both sides can spend time developing their houses sigil and other fun stuff. Most adventures would consist of trying to control districts, the police, or sabotaging the other team. However, I'd like for the endgame to eventually have the 6 total permanent members to work together near the end in a larger D&D session.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Whybird posted:

One of the characters in my campaign is an unabashed gambling addict, and in the climax of my last adventure, was literally gambling his life against a hag (extremely powerful, evil witch-like monster) against her giving the group safe passage out of the woods infested by an army of beastmen while the rest of the group desperately defended themseves as the beastmen were clawing their way over the walls of the tiny, wiped out settlement they had barred themselves into out of desperation. I (as the hag) was literally rolling bones with the player while pausing to run the combat with the others. It was amazingly intense.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Sirreal posted:

I've been a DM for several years now to a variety of groups. I was recently about to undertake a new sort of way of running a D&D adventure. Namely, in running two concurrent campaigns for 2 parties that are enemies to each-other. Long story short, this will likely take the setting of a single city turf war between two rival families vying for control of the city. I was intending to run this for a board game club at my university and to publish a sort of "city newspaper" to hear about what the other party does. In addition I'm currently looking at developing a map of the city divided into districts which when controlled provide benefits to your party and family. This is sort of like a board game in its own right. I was wondering if anyone has run anything similar to this or just had some advice.

The structure basically has 2 parties of 3 set members each with the allowance for 2 drop-in party members. I figure that both sides can spend time developing their houses sigil and other fun stuff. Most adventures would consist of trying to control districts, the police, or sabotaging the other team. However, I'd like for the endgame to eventually have the 6 total permanent members to work together near the end in a larger D&D session.

RollPlay did a similar idea with the FFG Star Wars game. They talk a bit about the metagame conflict system in Hack Attack.

Sirreal
Jul 27, 2014

admanb posted:

RollPlay did a similar idea with the FFG Star Wars game. They talk a bit about the metagame conflict system in Hack Attack.

Thanks, I'm surprised how relevant that was. Also thanks for introducing me to these guys, definitely going to check out their other stuff now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Imaginary Friend posted:

Get Fate Accelerated, it's the barebones, easy to use version of FATE.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I'm running a discworld game, and am in the middle of a murder mystery.
An assassin working off-the-books has murdered three businessmen (who are dark lord wannabes as a hobby) and framed a local barbarian hero wannabe.
A weapons collector was murdered to implicate the hero wannabe (acquiring a weapon similar to one the hero has). He then led the hero in hot pursuit to a supplier to the thieves' guild where he stole some tools to open magical locks. This was all a setup to murder a man who makes maps for the assassins' guild, and steal a map of the sewer networks, a closely-guarded guild secret.

I haven't worked out why the assassin has stolen the map, though. He's probably doing the job for a shady employer, but I'm having trouble coming up with a reason to want those maps.
The Patrician wants a map of the sewers, but draws the line at murdering innocent people when alternatives remain.

tl;dr, who would want a map of the sewers under ankh-morpork, and would be able to pay a dirty assassin enough?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Man, so many options there. Smuggling, drug trade, maybe the sewers can help him break into the vaults at the Royal Bank or the Post Office, maybe some way to sneak things into or out of Unseen University. . . sewer access can be a very powerful thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's just obvious

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Yawgmoth posted:

"My players wouldn't do that!" -every GM exactly once

Mine burned down Death House in Curse of Strahd, the first time was expected, the secons time not so much.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

AzMiLion posted:

Mine burned down Death House in Curse of Strahd, the first time was expected, the secons time not so much.

My DM made it explicitly non-flammable after I burned down an inn at the start of a homebrew he did.

I feel like he knows me.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

AzMiLion posted:

To be fair that's one of the safest and most logical things to do to a "Death House."

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tesla was right posted:

tl;dr, who would want a map of the sewers under ankh-morpork, and would be able to pay a dirty assassin enough?

Dwarves. Dwarves local to AM who want to expand their underground territory. Uberwald dwarves who want to put the squeeze on the AM dwarves and sell the map back to them at a profit. Hardline Uberwald dwarves who want to murder the AM-dwarves by collapsing pits on top of them. Citizens of AM who want to sell the map to one of the three parties.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tesla was right posted:

Lord Rust is the guy paying the assassin, trying to make Vetinari look bad; the map will supposedly show ancient legal claims that would invalidate Vetinari's Undertaking and cede "rightful Ankh-Morpork territory" to a clan of dwarves. Said dwarves don't actually want that territory anymore and would happily sign over the rights for the tunnels in exchange for some gold and maybe a few more spots on the Watch for dwarves, but Lord Rust doesn't know that.

However, the map is also being sought by several guilds, Moist von Lipvig (it's rumored that the Post Office had storage down there and he wants to know what's in it), and Captain Carrot (who is related to all the dwarves that have those legal titles to the tunnels but would prefer it if the map vanished so they didn't have to deal with all the legal headaches that just making the map go away will avoid). And Wee Mad Arthur, just because.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Librarian should wind up with it in the end, though.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tesla was right posted:

A long-suffering grad student at Unseen University. It turns out that writing one's thesis about local ley lines was a bit more... involved... than he originally predicted. He's now cracked under the pressure, misappropriated the University herbal candle fund, and may or may not be lurking in some forgotten sub-basement, cackling up a storm and wearing his late research advisor like a leathery ski mask.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Haystack posted:

A long-suffering grad student at Unseen University. It turns out that writing one's thesis about local ley lines was a bit more... involved... than he originally predicted. He's now cracked under the pressure, misappropriated the University herbal candle fund, and may or may not be lurking in some forgotten sub-basement, cackling up a storm and wearing his late research advisor like a leathery ski mask.

Note that his late research advisor's spirit has been kicking around for several decades now and is not at all thrilled with his student's attempts to get into the role.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Note that his late research advisor's spirit has been kicking around for several decades now and is not at all thrilled with his student's attempts to get into the role.

alternately his late research advisor is pleased with his overall situation - it cuts down on his food budget and all - but needs this resolved quickly so it doesn't cast a black cloud over his ongoing negotiations with regard to the specific legal technicalities of lifetime tenure

tankfish
May 31, 2013
I am running a game with the coriolis rpg system and the adventure I'm running is my players need to get a artifact out of a auction house. The question I have is how do I run a auction if my players decide to try and get the artifact legitimately?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

tankfish posted:

I am running a game with the coriolis rpg system and the adventure I'm running is my players need to get a artifact out of a auction house. The question I have is how do I run a auction if my players decide to try and get the artifact legitimately?

I don't know about legitimately, but it sounds like you need some third-party to try and acquire the artifact illegitimately, and with as much commotion as possible.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Tesla was right posted:

I don't know about legitimately, but it sounds like you need some third-party to try and acquire the artifact illegitimately, and with as much commotion as possible.

Ah yah that could work there's always some of pirate or thief that wants that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

tankfish posted:

If they really need the McGuffin, you just have a couple bidders who stay somewhat ahead of their bids. Depending on player reaction, you should have a sense of how much it's worth to them. Then set it up so the thieves or whatever try to take the artifact, and either the auction house or the winning bidder let them have it for something close to their penultimate bid as a reward. You drain their coffers a bit, the artifact doesn't feel cheapened, and they had to work for it. Also if whoever they end up buying it from is an rear end in a top hat about the whole thing you set up a future rival, villain, or useful idiot NPC, and possible allies if other bidders shame the rear end in a top hat into giving up the artifact at a discount.