Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Anyone ran or played in a West Marches style campaign and have advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Spiteski posted:

I've run in two, and am currently helping co-DM another one. What advice in particular? Are you running one? Playing in one?

I'm looking to slowly work on the framework of one while I finish up my current campaign. I want to know what worked for you, what didn't, and how it could have been better and anything else you'd think would be worth knowing.

What I'm making's main shtick is a mega dungeon under town, ala Torchlight that serves as an end goal. The big bad is influencing (cataclysmic) events and the players have to explore the wilderness, fortify town, make allies, and gain power to delve deeper in the dungeon to defeat the big bad. The main point is to have more of an overarching narrative instead of a bunch of barely connected if not at all one offs.

kazr fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 17, 2017

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

That's a uh... very interesting rule. What are your players reactions to that?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Can anyone get me the goonmade guide to making better creature stats? I can't seem to find it

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Yes, thank you

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm going to be running a high level 5e, SCP inspired one shot with the players starting at level 12 and could use some ideas. The premise is that the players are a strike team that has been tasked to enter a high tech facility where poo poo has gone very wrong, and neutralize any threat. The facility houses all kinds of nasty creatures, anomalous items, and dangerous experiments.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Here's some general LMoP advice:

Chapter 2 of LMoP is the hardest part for new DMs as there's a lot of information all at once and frankly WOTC does a piss poor job of organizing information in all of their modules.

I'd go through the chapter and write down each important NPC, their location, what their quest is (if any) and what information they know. Keep it to clean, consice bullet points on one page or less. DM planning most of the time less is more and you shouldn't be working off a script.

The initial goblin ambush can absolutely wreck new characters. Give them their max HP at level 1, and have Gundren give them each a healing potion to counter this. Your players can start at a tavern in Neverwinter before heading out where they have the opportunity to get to know Gundren, give him a little personality besides some dwarf they need to rescue, and get some rp in between the players to break the ice.

Klarg is a beast as well so keep that in mind. Having him escape down the Rock chimney after being bloodied a bit can set him up to be a cool reoccurring villain later down the line.

The nothic in Trasendor manor is an excellent opportunity for some very atmospheric roleplay so try and avoid them just jumping ahead and killing it. Having some creepy incoherent babbling playing in the background when they first encounter can really add to the atmosphere.

The book poorly utilizes the doppelgangers. I had one take over Glass Staff which was a pretty cool reveal when they found the real Glass Staff's body while they had the imposter locked up. When the players rushed back to the mayor's house where Sildar was keeping him captive Sildar had been beaten up (again, heh) and there were two mayor's doing the NO HIM I'M THE REAL ONE shtick.

And here's a really good post on how to run the green dragon, Venomfang as he's another party wiper for an unprepared party/DM:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2e682e/comment/cjwhmus

And a good post on how to make Thundertree not suck as it's definitely the weakest part of the module:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/5wxmne/help_me_tweak_thundertree

kazr fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 9, 2019

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

3 of the 5 players in my upcoming 5e campaign are going to be be half elves, with the other 2 being firbolg and human. I'm having a difficult time coming up with an idea to make that interesting, either through half elven lore or their place in the world.

The premise of the campaign is that a clandestine group is distributing a highly addictive narcotic through the city that at high dosages makes the user see into the ethereal plane, basically "hallucinate" the weirdness there. A night hag is leading the cult responsible for its distribution, and she's using her power of plane shifting to the ethereal to manipulate users into joining her if they are strong of will, or planting a seed into those that aren't that when activated basically makes them go The Thing and cause mayhem to everything around them. Her goal is to weaken society so she can take the mcguffin and cause untold suffering etc

Any ideas?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm planning out a Halloween one shot for next session focused around a harvest festival, with inevitable pumpkin themed monsters. Right now I've got 2 major combat encounters planned: one involving a reskinned pumpkin Adult Oblex with 1 to 2 shambling pumpkin mounds, and the second a pumpkin corpse flower. The issue is how I've got the events laid out the fights will happen almost back to back. Right now the story beats are:

1. Players get trick or treaters at their door who tell them they better get to the festival as it's the last night and the great pumpkin parade is tonight!

2. The players get to the festival where I have a bunch of different games they can win tickets at, prizes they can turn tickets in for, a few major events to break up monotony or lulls in in the action, as well as flavorful description and very minor hooks.

3. During the festival I'll be foreshadowing the oblex encounter. An oblex's main shtick is stealing memories and creating duplicates of that person which is attached to the creature by an oozing tether (now a vine). Tensions will ramp up before the pumpkin parade with the duplicates causing mayhem, and eventually attacking the PCs. During the parade the oblex and shambling mound attack.

4. After the fight the pumpkin farmer or town watch will inform the party some hosed up poo poo is going down in the pumpkin patch outside of town. As the players make their way there I want to set a spooky mood with ominous music, describing the sound of battle in the distance, fog rolls in that muffles all sound until all they can hear is their own heart beats in their ears. When they get to the center of the patch it's the pumpkin corpse flower who has been fighting and killing town guards and now turning them into pumpkin zombies.

I feel like these fights are too close together and the initial "Wtf was that?" after the oblex and the spooky trek to the pumpkin patch isn't enough of a spacer. Any suggestions on ramping up the scare factor would be great.

For background a night hag named Auntie Aggelthort the party previously encountered and pissed off sold the pumpkin farmer "Auntie's Miracle Gourd" with the purpose of loving with the players.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When you kill the oblex, do you get the memories back, do they all come rushing back into your head?

Because if so, have the players have to deal with the rush of townies all recovering their memories, some of which might be a little shocking or difficult to deal with ("Farmer Bob! I remember now! It was you who killed my chickens!" "Oh holy crap, it was! I had forgotten all about that! But now I remember not being sorry about it!"). Make sure one of the newly-recovered memories is the pumpkin farmer's realization that he bought a mysterious 'Miracle Gourd' last month, and he's pretty sure he planted it over there (waving hand in direction of corpse flower encounter).

As written it takes a short rest but this is an awesome idea and should provide plenty of rp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm up front with my group on this: I always roll in the open, character death is a real possibility, and being clever will most of the time get you further than straight mechanical combat.

5e isn't designed as a meat grinder, but if there's literally no challenge what's the point?

kazr fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 3, 2021