Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ce gars posted:

Another entry. I'm struggling to make sense of everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMQ_FULc4M

These are great, although I couldn't see anything in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Found this today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4seSCUTQg0&NR=1
Given the date of upload, it's possible this isn't coincidence. Either way it's eerie as gently caress.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

ce gars posted:

Another entry. I'm struggling to make sense of everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMQ_FULc4M

Haha, that was awesome. "What's that tall...red thing over there?"

I saw him in the second half but can't make out anything in the first, I presume he's hiding in the trees?

Bluedeanie posted:

Found this today.
Given the date of upload, it's possible this isn't coincidence. Either way it's eerie as gently caress.

It. Begins. This is either a goon or we're using our immense collective psychic will to compel the pubbies to contemplate the nature of SM.

Wingless fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 30, 2009

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.

poo poo. I officially had my first slenderman nightmare. I don't even remember what it was about other than being panicked that my 2nd graders & I had to get away. :(

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Wingless posted:

Haha, that was awesome. "What's that tall...red thing over there?"

I saw him in the second half but can't make out anything in the first, I presume he's hiding in the trees?

Help me out, I can't see him at all.

Sleepless Dreamer
Jun 5, 2008

it's my calling to tell nerd :roboluv:ers how to :roboluv: properly

Bluedeanie posted:

Found this today.

Well, whatever it is, I love it... I think... Would work great as music for Slender Man The Movie.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

the heebie-gbs posted:

Would be better had you not tilted the guy the same as the camera was tilted.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mr. 47 posted:

I didn't notice him either, but I loved the "What's that tall.. red thing"

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

This thread is awesome and I think I will be Slender man for next holloween since i am 6'7 and 200 pounds all I need is a couple extra arms and I am good to go :)

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Mr. 47 posted:

Really? I'm normally terrible at this and I thought it was almost too obvious. Just as he says "What's that tall...red thing" look to the left, Slender Man is standing half behind a tree. He's been standing there for quite some time.

EDIT: Just rewatched it...maybe it's not that obvious. Now I'm not even sure if it's him.

Wingless fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 30, 2009

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

For my thesis I have been given access to a pretty big photography archive. My subject is to do with riots, so I've been looking at thousands of these photos for the last few weeks. Here are a few that stuck out a little, I'll leave you to judge for yourself:

Munich, 1976:

Jerusalem, 1982:

Ukraine, 1992:

The last one is perhaps the most interesting but unfortunately that's the highest quality version available.

Each of these instances were noted as having fog roll in unexpectedly during the course of the riot, which combined with tear gas being used by police, leaving many areas with virtually no visibility. In the Ukraine the fog only lasted for two hours, a north easterly wind causing it to clear rather suddenly. Several deaths and missing persons at each event were blamed on the police but few if any charges were filed.

Volponi
Feb 9, 2008
Mrgh you know drugs are just what doctors give you to make you be a sheep, YOU GOTTA FIGHT THE MACHINE KEEP YOUR CLARITY RON PAUL '08

Folks 'round here tend to be a superstitious lot. Strange happenin's 'round these parts don't help matters much.

The swamps are dangerous, even to those familiar with the local landscape. Lotsa the older folk who've lived 'round here for their whole lives will swear the swamps are haunted.

Me? I don't believe it. Tales of hauntins' and such are nonsense. I chalk it up to the older folks bein' from a simpler time, more prone to believin' in magic an' stuff.

There's a powerful long history of folks believin' in things that ain't real. The Algonquians and other tribes had their stories of the Wendigo, a tall, gaunt creature who ate people. Insatiable, growin' taller and gettin' hungrier with each meal.

I've heard tales that Jack Fiddler (called "Mesnawetheno" in Swampy Cree, meanin' "Stylish man") once killed a wendigo, but I don't believe it. He killed someone, to be sure, but there ain't no such thing as wendigos.

Fables of the Roux-Ga-Roux are told from time to time. Simpletons insist it's real, but can't even agree on what it is. Some say it's a blood-sucker, others say it's a werewolf. I say it's rubbish. Mostly just the product of overactive imaginin's and similar foolishness.

I've even heard tell of a giant spider that rises from the depths and drags victims to the bottom. I say it's just a rottin' tree stump. The roots resemble spidery legs. The gasses from the rot float it up to the surface, then it sinks again. Sure, you could get drowned in the bog if you somehow got stuck on it, but that don't mean it's a monster.

Still, the swamps don't need any ridiculous stories of supernatural hauntin's to be dangerous. Lotsa venomous snakes and spiders out there. Poisonous gasses from rot. Gators can ruin your day pretty quick-like. There ain't no need to be makin' stuff up when there's enough real things to be scared of.

There's simple enough explanations without belivin' in magic and monsters.

See that? Just a tree. Yeah, it's a funny-lookin' tree, but that's all it is. No need for stories 'bout tree-monsters or somesuch.

One good rule I like to follow is "if there's water, there's gators". Every year durin' gator matin' season, people are all up on the TV news channels cryin' 'bout their dog that got ate 'cause they were stupid and let it go play in the swamp. People whinin' an' cryin', sayin' there shoulda been signs warnin' 'em 'bout gators. I say there ain't no need for signs. It's a swamp. If there's water, there's gators. Simple as that. City folk should be smarter'n to go traipsin' around in the swamp gettin' their pets ate.

See that? It's water. You wanna go snorkel in it, be my guest. I ain't gonna pretend no sympathy when you learn about your place in the food chain. Even if the gators or snakes don't get ya, you'll likely lose some blood to the leeches.

Me? I don't go in the water. I'm smarter'n that. Not that I'm scared of monsters or anythin'. Yer welcome to venture into the swamps as far as ya want, but I don't rightly recommend it. 'Specially if you don't know the area. All sortsa hazards abound, and folks do go missin' from time to time.

Prob'ly just gators though. Yeah, just gators. That's what I tell myself. Helps me sleep.

Volponi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2009

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

I did my best on lined paper, at work, photographed by my phone.. I'll try to get a better lineart version up tonight when I get home. I never really thought of him wearing a suit but more of his bone structure and skin color made it appear to be more of human figure. Kind of like a chameleon who can change his skin color.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

Volponi posted:

Scary rear end swamp stories

if anyone here plays Fallout 3 and wants to piss their pants in fear, download the Point Lookout DLC, which is basically a huge plot of swamp to run around in and look for Slender Man to pop up in. I played through most of it without thinking of him but now that it's in my head going back there is going to be awful.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

(A journal entry. Written around a taped-in photograph later removed.)

10/7/88
Thought: Why always in photo b/g?
Conj.: Nobody looks for him. Always accidental. Coincidence.
--SOLVED(?)--
Found three photos from S.M. hunters. One was usual b/g appearance. Rest no good, were supposed to be dead-on photos of the guy. Recovered photos ruined. Definitely not overexposure. Likely innate quality of S.M., only found after photography developed*. People can draw him without pictures going bad, problem being most people don't get a good look at him. Or get a very good look at him and are killed/go crazy. Lose/lose situation for us.

(Other side of paper.)
*Maybe developed this reflexively, when photos first invented. Or when first taken picture of. Or maybe he just can't be photographed because we don't have the tools to catch what he is on film in full detail.

Why show up at all? Bad luck for photographers? Idea: drawn to the flash, not too likely given daytime spottings but possible for night. (Leads to question, why photographers period? More later.)

I really FUBAR'd my go at the Mafia game, didn't I.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Is this him?

colehead
Sep 5, 2003
Always a Lady

I love SM but the phrase I keep hearing is "wacky waving arm flailing inflatable tube man"

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is this him?

Yeah that's what I thought at first, not so sure now.

Glugglugs
May 30, 2008

Well, since i've had alot of free time ( Slender Man paranoia= No sleep) I thought i'd use the time dicking about with my laptop; here's the result of a whole hour, me, my finger and my laptop's touchpad. I'm hoping this will work since waffleimages is down D:

Does slender man have teeth? I just.. assumed. :ohdear:

dregma
Nov 3, 2004

I want my empire back, you son of a bitch!

Thinking of some of the first few ideas in the topic...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

colehead posted:

I love SM but the phrase I keep hearing is "wacky waving arm flailing inflatable tube man"

If fear is where he gets his strength, you may have found his kryptonite.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

this changes nothing, i am still dead inside

oh god i just had to walk back by myself through town at 3am

so many photo opportunities, but i know if i photoshop slender man into them i'll never be able to walk back that way again

even worse, i wondered what might happen if i plugged my digital camera in only to find i didn't need to photoshop them at all.

i don't know how you people have the brass to keep doing this

slender man is the most terrifying loving thing i've ever read :gonk:

Phil Collins Vagina
Dec 30, 2008

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Night Gaunt posted:

This is fantastic. I really love the idea.

dregma posted:

Thinking of some of the first few ideas in the topic...

This is excellent too.

Gnometaster
Nov 1, 2007

The other white meat

The photograph above, reputed to have been taken by S. M. Prokudin-Gorsky circa 1902 is the only visual record of what has come to be known as the Pillaging of Pid'ma. Sometime during the early afternoon on the 1st of July 1902 unknown assailants moved swiftly through the Russian village, killing and dismembering men, women, children and the village's livestock. The remains of the deceased were later found co-mingled with those of their animals in the dying embers of a large bonfire lit in the centre of the village. Nothing was taken from any of the residences in the village, nor was the nearby Church of the Transfiguration desecrated. In several dwellings food set up to be eaten for midday meal was left untouched. The motive for the attack is unknown to this day and no group has ever come forward to claim responsibility.

The photographer and his party were none the wiser when they took this sequence of slides, assuming the black-clad figures on the right of the picture to be farmhands returning to the fields after their midday meal.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

The interest in SM is growing and with it so does his power. More are wondering and they want answers. They want pictures. They want the truth.

quote:

syke186@ehphotography do you have any pictures of him? and why you and the other two? why not anyone else? do you know of anyone else?

What have we created? It all started so innocently. Just a few stories to scare eachother, maybe a few pictures. Then it grew, we have awakened something. And it is hungry.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 1, 2009

BrightestCrayon
Jun 13, 2009

Reading this thread was a horrible idea right before I went to bed last night. All night the damned slender man kept showing up in the background of my dreams. Not doing anything, just there. loving creepy.

But those dreams made me start thinking. Everyone's been talking about how odd it is that SM shows up in the background of so many pictures.But, what if he wants to be there? What if he wants you to see him?

What if that's how he finds his next victim?

It's been said that he seemingly chooses a family/person at random and then removes the witnesses. But then the pictures surface, and everyone who looks at those pictures starts thinking about him.

And everyone knows thinking about him gets his attention.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

This Slenderman fellow seems to be a bit of a cad!

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

He just wants to make friends... in death.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Mogadishu posted:

oh...

funny seeing you here slender man..

yes yes..thats enough hugging

Betty Swallows
Aug 22, 2005

Can't stop drawing Slender Man!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Mogadishu posted:

Something about that gentleman is not quite right.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

Blaster of Justice posted:

Indeed! Look at that tie, the pattern is terribly misfitting!

Also he stole my children :(

E: The 4th video has officially scared the gently caress out of me.

taupoke fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 1, 2009

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Blaster of Justice posted:

He was eating powdered donuts.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

So once the Slender Man began popping up in this thread, I could have sworn something about it seemed familiar. I'm an amateur folklorist, so I had a few source books lying around. It took me a while, but I finally found something in W.K. McNeil's Ghost Stories of the American South. Most of the tales collected are transcripts of recordings other folklorists made, but McNeil compiles them and offers notes. A really handy book. So anyway, this particular story appears in the book's seventh section, "Other Supernatural Creatures."

quote:

Well, I’ll you, when I was younger, a cousin of mine came to live with us. He was older than me and my sisters -- maybe sixteen or seventeen -- and we was the only folks he had left in the world, really. And he was the awfulest liar you’d ever know, anything he’d tell you was a lie, almost. I liked him all right. We slept in a loft during the summer because it was cooler up there, me and him, and in the winters we slept on the floor closer to the stove. My sisters had their own room.

So one night my cousin wakes me up by punching me in the shoulder, and it’s summer so we’re up in the loft, and my first thought when he wakes me up is to just push him out, because I’m not happy at being waked up, you know? But before I can say anything he puts his hand over my mouth and even though it’s dark I can hear that he’s scared. “Listen,” he says, and so I listen real careful. It’s this scratching, like something on the roof, and the roof is right over our heads, mind you, ‘cause we’re in the loft. I was a trifle rattled, but I wasn’t having none of it. “So?” I says to him. “It’s just some raccoon or a cat.”

“No,” says John, “I heared it before I waked you up, it’s like footsteps, like someone’s walking up there.” I wasn’t taking no truck with that, I told you he was the awfulest liar. So I went back to sleep, but the next day my cousin tried to tell Pap about it, and Pap wasn’t having no truck with it, either. But one night later on, while we was all having supper, Pap sent out my youngest sister to fetch water from the pump we had in the back. After a while we heared Lily scream, and it was Ma who got up first, and then Pap. The rest of us stayed at the table because we was like to get in trouble if Lily was hurt and we was there to gloat. Soon enough, though, we heared Pap and Ma shouting too, so me and John went out to see if they needed our help. All they had was the water pail Lily carried out, and there wasn’t no other sign of her.

At first I didn’t understand what was going on, with both Ma and Pap shouting, and by that time my other sisters come out and they started crying, and my cousin was just standing there in the yard looking off toward something. “It’s the man walking yonder!” he yells, and he’s pointing out across the field. No one’s listening to him but me, and he keeps saying it: “It’s the man walking yonder! It’s the man walking yonder!”

You already know it was suppertime, so you know the sun was setting and it was hard to see. But when I looked out over that field at the back of the house, the whole thing was lit up orange, and there was a row of big black trees that was the edge of the woods, you know? And I swear to you that I saw one of them trees moving, like a man walking away. But it couldn’t have been a man, ‘cause there ain’t no man that tall and skinny.

Pap seen it, too, I think. He took us inside and locked all the doors, and he made us keep still while he got out his rifle. We waited like that all night, Ma crying the whole time. When the sun come up we took a wagon into town and told folks what happened, though as I recall nothing much came of it. John ran off a few weeks later, and we got a new house closer to the mill where Pap worked. I still can’t manage to look at trees during sunset though, especially not on windy days when they all move back and forth, like a man walking away.

A Negro family moved into our old house. Their son got executed for murder, I hear.

Here are McNeil's notes on the story from the end of the book. He is assigning it motifs as outlined in Ernest W. Baughman's Type and Motif-Index of the Folktales of England and North America.

W.K. McNeil posted:

Collected September, 1963, by Ezum Cathill from an un-named seventy-year-old white male in Berea, Kentucky. The informant obviously believes the events occurred and presents them as a personal experience. The opening makes it unclear whether or not the informant is using the story as a conversation piece (which would make its apparent melancholy less sincere) or if he is responding to a question posed by Cathill. Regardless, the informant is obviously skilled at telling stories, going so far as to incorporate limited characterization and dialogue.

From a purely narrative standpoint the tale still has issues: the informant and his cousin’s experience with sounds on the roof as well as the misfortune of the Negro family appear to have no connection with the central action of the story, yet the informant includes the details anyway, either as embellishment or because he believes there is a correlation. Similarly, the revenant is never fully explained, and the informant and his family seem to have no prior experience with such a creature which, given its sparse description, can hardly be classified. The lukewarm response of the other citizens upon hearing the story is perhaps indicative of the story’s strange rootlessness. In short, this tale appears to be a collection of unrelated if tragic events that occur for no discernible reason.

Only obvious motif is R10.3 “Children abducted.” Other relevant motifs may include E275 “Ghost haunts place of great accident or misfortune” and E402 “Mysterious ghostlike noises heard”; more tenuously, one might also apply D940 “Magic forests” or F990 “Inanimate objects act as living.”

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 1, 2009

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm being blasphemous and doing a paranormal image that isn't Slenderman.

Phil Collins Vagina
Dec 30, 2008

Are old black people paranormal or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Phil Collins Vagina posted:

Are old black people paranormal or am I missing something?

she has sparkly/glowy wings and a halo.

Comedy reply: she's a twilight vampire.