Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

genesplicer posted:

Not really a paranormal image, but definitely inspired by this thread... here's a "decoration" that I put up at my house. I wonder what it will look like when the sun goes down.

If you get any children of goons they are going to be scared shitless when they come trick or treating at your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

genesplicer posted:

Not really a paranormal image, but definitely inspired by this thread... here's a "decoration" that I put up at my house. I wonder what it will look like when the sun goes down.

You kind of make me sad. Who will educate the poor kids when the community finally decides to lock you up for good?

Lunaran
Feb 21, 2003

genesplicer posted:

jesus christ. It took me a while to finally spot it, but then, holy poo poo. now I'm going to have nightmares about this.

Well done, sir.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

genesplicer posted:

So, honestly, how many of you look around for the Slender Man when you are outside after dark? My back yard has lots of places he could be...

I hate going out to let my dog out at night now. So many trees, so many long shadows that look like branchy arms, so many that seem to change when you look away and then look back, or seem to creep closer to the house....

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

My own lovely contribution. It originally had a reflection in the water, but I feel this works better.

Also, I'm pretty sure that a fair amount of US goons remember the cartoons Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs. I was watching a clip of them on youtube and remembered a recurring character named Mr. Skullhead. He was Slenderman all along.

Here's a (bad) screengrab of him. Considering Slenderman's affinity to children, it's even more :gonk:.

Don't ask what Mindy's doing there.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
By the way.

A couple weeks ago I was driving from DC to Cincinnati, and if I find out which one of you thought it was a good idea to put a Slender Man scarecrow up on Route 50 near Athens I will kill you. I caught it at just the right moment to see it, get terrified, and go "oh whew it's fake". Didn't help that it was right at dusk. It was just out by the road in front of some trees and

oh god I hope it was a scarecrow

Cairo Dog
May 1, 2008

The Ruskies are coming! Run away!
I'm gonna guess that in your all consuming terror you didn't get any pictures of it? :(

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Click here for the full 1193x850 image.

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'
As scary & brilliant as this Slenderman mythos is, you know it’s only a matter of time before somebody in the wider internet community creates some kind of Slenderman erotica.

:argh::fh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tripplejol posted:

As scary & brilliant as this Slenderman mythos is, you know it’s only a matter of time before somebody in the wider internet community creates some kind of Slenderman erotica.

:argh::fh:

There's a link to some near the beginning of one of the threads, unfortunately :(

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'

Alabaster White posted:

There's a link to some near the beginning of one of the threads, unfortunately :(

:ughh:

I can't be scared of this anymore

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Tripplejol posted:

:ughh:

I can't be scared of this anymore

The obvious response is the same as to all Rule 34: pretend it doesn't exist, or drink until you forget.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I sincerely apologize if this comparison has been made before, but I'm only on page 23. This idea came to me suddenly and I had to get it out there. I've known about Green Man for a long time, thanks to a UK friend and Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now, and it has me fascinated...especially since the reason I found out about it was from the Marble Hornets videos. Small internet, I guess. Anyway, here's a little story I wrote about the origin of our pal, the Slender Man.

======================================================================

Long ago, in the mists of prehistoric Eurasia, the Green Man lived among the trees and leaves. He loved those whose hearts were glad, and stayed near them. He especially delighted in children, who were able to see him easily, while those who had given up that sight had to call out his name at special times for him to appear to them. But he was always there, just the same.

For many centuries, the Green Man lived alongside the people in peace and happiness. He would often appear during festival times; their gay music and dancing he could not resist.
During these times he would grant favors to those he found special. Most often these were a prosperous harvest and a large family to bring it in.

Many travellers of lonely roads tell of meeting the Green Man. Being weary, they would stop to rest. Suddenly one of them would notice an odd tree or shape among the branches. Once seen, the Green Man would come forward and bow deeply to the travellers. All who were in his presence felt gladness. He would refresh them with his soothing branches and before they knew it, they were at their destination!

There are countless tales of the miraculous deeds of the Green Man. But not one mentions what ultimately became of him. During the middle ages, churches carved images of his face into their buildings. He was more and more often seen by the people as an evil thing, something that did not fit into their daily lives. Still, during many ceremonies he was named. He did not come often. The times he did come, he was of lesser countenance than described by the grandfathers. He had a wilting, dying look, which was trying to look upon. Those who still took counsel with him returned mad, more often than not.

Reverend Gnome
Nov 7, 2007

by Fistgrrl

gnarlyhotep posted:

Green Man/Slender Man tie-in.

I usually hate the weak attempts at tie-ins and whatnot that occassionally pop up, but yours was actually really good. It's subtle, plus it takes into consideration The Slender Man residing in forests and occassionally being described as "branchy."

Nice work.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Reverend Gnome posted:

Nice work.

Very much appreciated.

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free

Just a quick render of Slender Man. What a victim might see right before they die. Isn't that a pleasant thought?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

busydelicious posted:

Just a quick render of Slender Man. What a victim might see right before they die. Isn't that a pleasant thought?

Makes me think of a Slender Man manga. Great job, BTW.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

busydelicious posted:

Nice work, but he kind of reminds me of, like, a genestealer or something. I always imagined that he doesn't have a face.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Strikes me as too actively aggressive and well-defined for Slenderman. This is more like...Venom, in a suit. v:what:v

vvv Yup, I agree, it's not a bad drawing. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 6, 2009

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
it is well done technically, but Munki hit it on the nose, the concept is a little off.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Early, early this morning, another all-night deadline crunch was interrupted by the Slender Man.

Click here for the full 664x1000 image.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yup, that's more "true" to what I think most of us see in Slenderman.

Now go to hell, you rear end in a top hat. :(

You ever done any drawings for those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books? The ones who's illustrations hav been posted here and there throughout this thread?

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rinski posted:

Early, early this morning, another all-night deadline crunch was interrupted by the Slender Man.

Click here for the full 664x1000 image.

This is a great picture, but I'm not sure I understand what's so scary about "Slender Man."

I mean what's his angle? That he stalks you, or does creepy things? Thusfar I just see an abnormally tall guy who has mildly retarded, squid-like tentacle arms.

What did I miss? Or are you guys just trying to create something that will get picked up by the webnets?

Although, I will say, he would be creepy if he looked like "The Gentlemen."

At least I think they look kinda creepy. :)

edit- For clarification, I'm not trolling, I asked a few people I know and showed them this thread, and it seems like only a handful of goons even find this dude remotely creepy, or even intriguing. Everyone else just kinda shrugged it off and thought it was retarded.

Maybe they're just desensitized or something? :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It helps to sit alone in your basement (or your mom's, whatever) late at night, read this thread with all the slenderman pictures, and then maybe check out the videos that were posted as an offshoot of this thread over in the Marble Hornets thread.

It's more a suspension of disbelief thing. Part of the "scariness" of it is that there is no real solid definition for what Slenderman is. He's different a little bit for everyone. I think the only consistent "facts" about him are that 1) he's long and narrow in every aspect, 2) is approximating human clothing, and 3) shows up goddamn everywhere in creepy ways.

It's sort of a spooky madlib. What spooks you out? That's what Slenderman is/does.

For me, he's there late at night when I walk into a dark room just before hitting the lights on. I keep expecting to flip the light on and there he is, just loving standing there, right in front of me, waiting for who knows what, but oh my god I almost walked right into him what the gently caress get outofhererunrunrunrun...

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Do you ever get that feeling? That feeling like you're being followed, but whenever you turn around there's no one there? I think that's him. That's what he does when he follows you--he gives you that feeling. If you notice him, he notices you.

I see him outside of my house, now. At the windows. I close all of the blinds, but I always look outside. He only comes at night, but I'm starting to see him in the daytime, too.

I don't think his eyes are darkened. I think they're just... gone.

He follows me wherever I go. I see him at work, so I don't go there anymore. I see him outside, not always but even when I don't, I always feel him there. I don't go outside anymore. I don't go anywhere.

Cheesy Pete
Dec 26, 2008
I love everyone's artwork for Slender Man. You guys are awesome.

I've been practicing designs for him for days, but this is the only one I drew digitally. My sketched concept artwork comes out better than any finished piece I've done.

Click here for the full 640x1800 image.

I'm going to keep tweaking my designs, but I felt compelled to share what I have so far.

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma
Am I alone when I think of a monster, and get kind of disappointed that all it does to its victims is kill them? Yeah, sure, it's scary-looking, but a person can kill you, too. But something about monsters that I've always liked is that they evoke a deeper fear than just that of death. Like they just snatch you away, and nobody ever sees you again.

Nobody knows where it is you are taken to, but nobody ever comes backs, and everybody agrees it's generally a horrible place. And maybe in this place, you can't die. And maybe you also don't need organs or skin or even a body, really, and that's why yours has now been nicely wrapped up and hung in a tree.

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Foreign policy...in drag?
Things just got much more interesting in this administration.

I do suppose he's coming along.

Edit: Better version.

Millard Fillmore fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 6, 2009

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TommyFilth posted:

Nobody knows where it is you are taken to, but nobody ever comes backs, and everybody agrees it's generally a horrible place. And maybe in this place, you can't die. And maybe you also don't need organs or skin or even a body, really, and that's why yours has now been nicely wrapped up and hung in a tree.

I think the Slender Man takes the finger-bones of his victims and adds them to his own hands, so his fingers get ever longer, thinner, and more flexible.

Better to catch you with, my dear.

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
People have been calling Coast To Coast AM all night talking about Slender Man. George Noory just said he's going to plan a show on Slender Man. Awesome.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

I just came to post that, it's gotten to a ridiculous level hahaha

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

Abandon All Hope posted:

This is a great picture, but I'm not sure I understand what's so scary about "Slender Man."

I mean what's his angle? That he stalks you, or does creepy things? Thusfar I just see an abnormally tall guy who has mildly retarded, squid-like tentacle arms.

I think he's a throwback to eerie childhood fantasies. Slederman's not necessarily a threatening entity but he is unsettling in his perceived omnipotence and inhuman qualities. When I see rinski's rendering I'm reminded of staying the night in my grandmother's house in the country. She used to tell us stories about hermits and demons that lived in the woods behind her fields. Sometimes we'd wander into the fields and look into the trees for hours, waiting for movement, wondering if we were watching something we couldn't see.

I really like rinski's drawing. It reminded me of the illustrations in the old book series "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark."

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Don't know if this has been posted but I looked for our tall friend on wikipedia and found nothing but this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footstone
Is this him? Was he really once a human?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was just thinking, maybe it's time we had one of these...

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I was just thinking, maybe it's time we had one of these...

Yeah. But it blinks for he's both there and not there. :tinfoil:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Wedemeyer posted:

Yeah. But it blinks for he's both there and not there. :tinfoil:

This sounds cool.

rae
Oct 25, 2009

50 Foot Ant posted:

OK, three images so far.

I've sized them, that's all. They're huge. Who the gently caress takes pictures that are 2.5MB? Plus, there's really something hinky about the SD card. The first time we put in the PC we blew out my 2 RAM sticks. Next time we did it, the computer showed me the blue screen of death and on reboot said my Windows was corrupted. Then the goddamn program designed to fix data corruption took for ever, and kept saying it was going to take longer and longer.

There's about 3 dozen more that are still being fixed.

Click here for the full 852x570 image.

Am I the only one who's seen it? Look closely. There's a child curled up in fetal position next to the big rock. You can see the top of his head and knees.

See?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Any way we can get the audio from people calling in to Coast to Coast? I'd be interested to hear what people are saying. If they do a segment on it then I really want to know when that would be as well.

Bungdeetle
Sep 25, 2009

Oh God, the Lord, the strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.

As Nero Danced posted:

Blort.

At first I thought you made a Slendertree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjef
Jul 25, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

Any way we can get the audio from people calling in to Coast to Coast? I'd be interested to hear what people are saying. If they do a segment on it then I really want to know when that would be as well.

Theres a service you can pay for to access all of the Coast To Coast AM show archives. Here's a link to last night's show summary: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2009/11/06

"Nick, a 17-year-old from California, described the Slender Man -- a shadow man-type figure, very thin, with unnaturally long limbs, and wearing a black suit. Nick likened his appearance to Jack Skellington from the animated movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and said his girlfriend had seen him once when she was young. According to legend, the Slender Man seeks to kidnap children."

If I remember correctly, another 2 or 3 people also called to explain encounters with the Slender Man as well.