Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

hobo on the news posted:

america as it exists today could not be sustained if you cut defense spending in any meaningful way, the defense spending is necessary for america to exert influence around the world and safeguard its foreign interests. i agree uhc should be implemented since it would help businesses by reducing cost for a worker, but cutting the defense budget is the wrong way to go

shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he'll ditch bipartisanship in the Senate if it means getting a health care reform bill.

"As important as bipartisanship is – and it is very important – it’s not as important as helping the millions of Americans that have no health insurance."

Reid stressed that Democrats have invited Republicans to the negotiating table, and he said that Democrats still wanted to achieve a bipartisan bill.

But Reid also stressed that the costs of not addressing health care this year were simply too high and that Democrats were ready to move a bill without Republican support.

"The cost of inaction is really unacceptable," Reid told reporters. "I repeat: 'Nothing' is not an option. We must pass health care reform and do it this year."

reid, growing a spine...?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Gazaville Slugger posted:

republican plan: good luck, 30 million of you :smug:

well at least my taxes won't be going to some lazy friend of the family under this one!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

listen man if i can't get 0% for two years on that new 50" plasma i'll surely die

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

randomnoise posted:

noice

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

well i guess here's hoping i can make it to vancouver before i get old and start needing healthcare

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

tacodaemon posted:

we in the USA seriously have the shittiest political system

profit uber alles :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

here's my health insurance story:

Two years ago my wife got a cavity filled, and then a call an hour later that the dental hygienist cut herself while she was working on her, and to go to the clinic that THEY have insurance under to get a blood test. She got her blood drawn, went to sit in the lobby for the results, and started to feel faint. She went to the receptionist, told her she was going to pass out and asked if she had any juice or water or something. The receptionist responded "I can't help you." Next thing she knows she's in an ambulance. She apparently passed out, hit her chin on a chair, then cracked her head on the floor, resulting in a big gash on her chin and bleeding out of her ear. 16 stitches, CAT scan, EKG, IV, etc. After recovering she made some calls to make sure that the clinic's insurance company would be covering all the costs, and they assured her that they would be taking care of it.

Fast forward to a month ago, when she does her annual credit check and what shows up but a $3000 bill from the hospital, in collections no less! No calls, no letters, nothing. I figure that since she wasn't billing her insurance company they just figured it wasn't a large enough cost that any lawyers would take the case to fight it (and they were right!) so they'd just throw it on us and see what happens.

So now we're stuck in this purgatory of sorts, and what makes it even better is that she's on my insurance now, so now we're trying to either get the dentist's insurance carrier to pay for it or the insurance company that she's no longer with and they have no incentive to pay for it. Right now both are putting their finger on their nose and yelling "not it!"

death to insurance companies, death to america

ps. lf any advice for this situation would be cool too I suppose

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

it doesn't seem so hard to move to canada if you have a degree

vancouver would be a pretty nice place to live

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

oh also to add to the insurance story from before, my wife has called her old insurance company twice a day every day to try to file this as a claim with them: her account person doesn't answer the phone and won't return calls, and if she talks to anyone else they immediately forward her to the account person's phone

:mad:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Der Meister posted:

abolish the senate problem solved

this is literally the solution to 90% of america's political problems hth

yeah, when the proportional branch doesn't have the votes to pass a bill WITHOUT a public option then perhaps the senate should pay attention

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

At least the House isn't completely worthless:

http://cpc.grijalva.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=446&ParentID=0&SectionID=66&SectionTree=66&lnk=b&ItemID=444

quote:

(Washington DC) - Members of the Congressional TriCaucus - comprised of the Congressional Black Caucus, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus - along with the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which together make up nearly 120 Members of the House and Senate, today held a press conference to reiterate their call that any Health Care reform must include a public health plan option.

The Republicans can be expected to vote against anything that's proposed, so that'd be enough to vote down any bill without a public plan, right?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

One source familiar with Kerry's unexpected suggestion said that the idea seemed to have little impact on the meeting and that the senators quickly moved on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

every politician in washington is really underestimating the public clamor for universal healthcare, or at the very least a viable public option.

pretty sure the 1.5 million dollars a DAY being spent by lobbyists and the media concern trolling for their advertising buddies are completely drowning out said clamor

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

i think i'm past the point of being angry about this, and i'm now just deeply depressed

no matter who we elect poo poo is never going to change in this country

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

why are the rich considered only hardworking

while the poor considered to have made 'mistakes' and are victims of 'ill fortune'

why can't the rich also be considered to be benefiting from 'good fortune'

hey i worked hard to be born rich

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The only way UHC will get enacted is if Feinstein or Kucinich has the balls to propose it

HR 676, Proposed by Conyers, co-sponsored by Kucinich (and a bunch others)

From 2005, lol :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

stun runner posted:

hehe just gonna post this relevant poll

http://www.gallup.com/poll/121307/More-Americans-See-Democratic-Party-Too-Liberal.aspx

URL says it all :D

17% of Americans think Republicans are too liberal? :psyduck:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ahahahhhaaaaaaa

quote:

Republicans argue that greater government involvement in health care will lead to rationing of care and denial of coverage. A government run health care would place a bureaucrat between “you and your doctor,” Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), a member of the Senate Finance Committee, repeated at least four times during a recent interview on Fox News.

And according to some reports, Hatch is working hard to translate his criticism into reality. Hatch and his Republican colleagues on the Senate Finance Committee are pushing legislation that would require insurers operating within the new Exchange to to deny coverage for abortion services. From Raising Women’s Voices:

quote:

The Senate Finance Committee has been writing a health care reform bill and struggling to create legislation that will have bipartisan support. Chairman Max Baucus (pictured left) considered several compromises to win Republican support, so they can claim it is bipartisan legislation. One of these potential compromises comes in the form of an abortion exclusion, which would prevent abortion services from being covered by some or all insurance plans in the Health Insurance Exchange. We fear that members of the Senate Finance Committee are considering such a compromise.

Nineteen House members have also sent a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) stating that they will not vote for health care reform legislation “unless it explicitly excludes abortion funding from the scope of any government-defined or subsidized health insurance plan.” “Furthermore, we want to ensure that the Health Benefits Advisory Committee cannot recommend abortion services be included under covered benefits or as part of a benefits package,” the members wrote.

STOP WITH THIS BIPARTISAN poo poo THEY ARE JUST GOING TO VOTE NO ON IT ANYWAYS

ps something like 85% of current private plans DO cover abortions and this would cover not only the public plan but private plans on the exchange so this would basically eliminate coverage :waycool:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

randomnoise posted:

If 70 - 80% of americans really do support government run health care, why has no one ever taken any kind of serious steps in mobilizing them to literally terrorize congress into submission? Seriously look at how much coverage the tea party mongoloids got. A full page newspaper ad, maybe even a half, in a few regions could probably fit in all of the major bullet points for single payer in a decent format as well as contact info for the locally relevant political offices. If someone organized a coordinated "bombing" of congress by telling people to zerg the phone lines for their congresspeople and barrage them with email and hard copy letters on a specific day, it would make national news when the lines and servers got swamped and congress was paralyzed.

Something similar has happened before but I cant recall what it was about.

this is happening right now (DFA, dailykos, moveon, etc) and it seems like they have a decent amount of bombing going on but still not enough

they're also running ads in wavering dem's districts, which is one of the reasons why Hagan caved

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

cheap sunglasses posted:

it's a camper hooked up to the bookmobile's rear bumper

for reals pp does some stuff out of hope mobiles like sign you up for birth control & give depro shots but they don't drive around doing abortions. though being a moving target they'd be harder to hit than regular clinics

they do set up at remote sites for abortion procedures though, like at women's & hispanic community centers

"drive-by abortions" i can see the attack ads now

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

It looks like we can chalk up a victory for the good guys. Stocks soared this week, as Congress gave up trying to enact so-called health-care reform — and the massive new taxes to pay for it — until after their August recess. That means it’s dead.

Last week I wrote that if “it gets rejected, then stocks could move a lot higher once they see that it’s still possible for the government of this country to do the right thing every once in a while.” That’s just what has happened.

Let me remind you what’s a stake here. It’s even worse than I wrote about last week. I said that the “surcharge” tax to finance this government takeover of private medicine would raise the top income tax rate to 45%. That’s bad enough, but what I didn’t mention is that the “surcharge” would affect capital gains taxes, too. The rate on long-term capital gains is now 15%. If Obama’s plan is enacted, it would jump to 25.6%.

I can’t think of a surer way to destroy the stock market — what’s left of it — than to raise taxes on capital gains. Isn’t it already hard enough to make money in stocks?

So don’t be surprised that stocks have taken off on the good news that this particular piece of political madness has been consigned to the dustbin of history where it belongs.

It’s especially good news because there’s more and more evidence that the economy really is coming back to life. It would be a shame to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Most important this week, earnings season is shaping up to be absolutely terrific. Forty percent of the companies that are going to report this season have now done so. On average, earnings have surprised on the upside by 11%. That makes this, at least so far, the best earnings season in more than two years — by a substantial margin.

death to the investor class, death to capitalists, death to america

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

edit: never mind read further and answered my own question

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pat Boone posted:

I know there's a word for government-supported corporatism but for the life of me I can't remember it

so what's left to do? move to california, assist the push for state single payer and a constitutional convention then just plug your ears when anything concerning federal government is discussed? spend the rest of your life in a failed attempt to elect members of leftist parties? or just cut your losses and get the gently caress out?

god, this place sucks so bad. :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

california will have the money to enact single payer before the federal goverment has the votes / desire to

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

dividebyzero posted:

I'm working on an Emigration from the U.S. effortpost right now, but am at work/on my blackberry.

Please do!

quote:

Suffice to say, get your rear end into an IT or trade skillset pronto, as in before you hit 30.

:toot: excellent peace out ya'll

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

This afternoon, Jay Rockefeller said that the new proposal to expand Medicaid coverage for those who are 133% to 150% above the federal poverty line was dropped during a meeting of key legislators this morning. “I was sad this morning,” Rockefeller told me and a few other reporters. “We walked in, and it was 133[%] to 140[%], then it’s staying at 133… So we didn’t get anything.”

Negotiators are considering limiting consumers to those who would qualify for high-risk insurance pools already set up under the Senate’s health care legislation. This would mean primarily those who have been uninsured for a certain amount of time, have a history of poor health or are unable to get insurance because of a preexisting condition.

[Kent] Conrad said that he’d propose having the Medicare buy-in be treated as “a separate pool” that could have negotiated rates, rather than those set by the existing Medicare program.

The Medicare “buy-in” for people 55 to 64 would be available until government subsidies start flowing in 2014 to new health insurance markets designed for people who now have trouble getting and keeping affordable coverage.

:(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

"I've told them that I can't support a trigger--no, actually, to be more explicit: If they say that it's unlikely to be [pulled] then it's unnecessary," Lieberman said. "It's an irritant. And I keep saying to my colleagues: the underlying bill, that I would say 60 of us in the caucus support, that is, the parts that we support in the underlying bill, are so full of progress--let's get that done, and stop trying to squeeze in things that some of us, respectfully, just won't accept."

lieberman perhaps the irritant here

is u

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

i'm actually kind of hopeful that if lieberman, snowe, baucus, lincoln, landreau, etc all dig in that Reid will just say gently caress it and try reconciliation

a bill that only needs 51 votes, provided they have the way to pull it off, is going to be a hell of a lot better

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

dta now and forever

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Mr. Reid’s amendment also includes a substantial increase in federal contributions to Nebraska’s costs of providing Medicaid coverage to the poor.

hahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

‘‘(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.—A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—

‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or
‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual. [p. 5]

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Prince of Dicks posted:

i want news in pictures and one snetence per story. come on free market

twitter dot com

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

what sucks is that even if we were to be able to add democrats most places that are flippable would only be flipped by a bullshit centrist dem. all the states that can elect a progressive already have a progressive in the senate with the exception of maybe maine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

evilweasel posted:

connecticut

gently caress I was counting joribaman as a dem in my mind when I wrote that

forgot about NH as well