Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Hey guys, just to rub a little salt in the wound (because you can't afford to buy any mediciine to treat it lol) but remember that all that military spending does in fact pay for universal health care.

No Troop, or his family, pays one loving cent for anything medical related. This part may not be common knowledge, but they can even go to the pharmacy and get OTC poo poo like tylenol and cough drops ~~for free~~ courtesy of the US tax payers for whom universal health care would be inappropriate, because UHC makes you weak and pathetic and too likely to waste time at the doctor's office for every insignificant little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

That reminds me of the story a few years ago about the guy with some chronic pain problem that was only treatable through large doses of injected morphine, so he tried like hell to get a permanently implanted morphine pump so he could live some kind of life. But the DEA decided he was trying to score drugs to they arrested him and threw him in prison.

...where the prison doctors determined the only way to treat him was to give him a morphine pump.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

The comic is tagged to the birmingham (AL) news so actually I'd seriously doubt it as birminghma is a broken decaying city. The newspaper there MAY not be as hosed as other places simply because at least there's a ton of local corruption drama to keep them busy, but that guy is most likely just another poorly educated southerner who is ideologically blinded to his own self interests.

There is a big medical school there so maybe there's a free clinic or something but the thought of the university of alabama giving ANYTHING away without wringing every last possible cent out of it is so unlikely as to be beyond pure fantasy and into the realm of delusion.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

wait, did nate silver seriously just call hillary clinton a charismatic leader? I thought he was actually paying attention during the elections

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

The conflation of "bipartisan" with "good" in american politics is quite likely the single worst thing that's happened in our hosed up system in decades. The notion that any attempt to do something positive must meet the approval of the most corrupt, worthless and willfully destructive elements of american society (every single member of congress ) in order to pass can never and will never result in any progressive change.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Gazaville Slugger posted:

and now, your daily dose of healthcare cartoons (thanks to crumbunist, PBUH):

yeah just like medicare more like murdercare

even after all this time somehow the level of cognitive dissonance in this shithole country manages to surprise me

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

it's that specific instance. the government has been paying for uhc for old people for decades. they're the only (non Troop) people inthe country that actually get anything. the only people in america NOT dying directly because of lovely healthcare are the elderly or the people who are effectively burdens of society and not "healthy assets of the state"

if anyone in america is going to send the sick to the showers it is the insurance comanpies, and they'd drat sure charge you a copay on the gas before locking you in

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

don't forget to write your congresspeople to tell them what shitheads they are for not supporting single payer

Dear senator shelby (r) alabama

yeah, gettin right on that

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Jabbu posted:

What's the point of having democratically elected representatives if they don't have your interests at heart? Capitalism is basically economic natural selection implemented by a bunch of jack asses that believed natural selection was deterministic. Capitalism isn't moving in some enlightened direction where products get better, things become more efficient, and everyone's quality of life gets better. Capitalism is survival of the most profitable. The most profitable being putting out the cheapest most piece of poo poo product or the biggest rip off service possible without anyone complaining.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

tacodaemon posted:

well there is the reasonable question of how to wind down the private insurers so you aren't tossing all their employees out on the street all at once in the middle of a recession, but that doesn't seem to be the thing that's plaguing anyone's mind in actual reality

The best time to throw them out on their rear end is in the middle of the depression when 20% of the country is already unemployed and companies that can't cut the bribe checks fast enough are collapsing. That way they're a minor statistical bump instead of a catastrophic dismantling of an industry when people might otherwise notice or give a poo poo. The way the banks are playing, the economy won't be swinging back up for YEARS anyway, so there's really no point in waiting.

And hey, at least while they're looking for a job, they'd be able to go to the doctor. That's a better deal than those cockroaches have ever given anyone.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

No, he's still a senator so they'd be happy to insure him. The day he leaves office they can cancel his policy because of a preexisting condition.

eta: Actually, i wonder if that would work. Call a salesman and give them a bunch of poo poo so you get denied for preexisting conditions, then try to convince them you're a congressman and see if you end up getting a special deal. Is it illegal to impersonate a congressman? All I can find is impersonation of a police officer or federal officer. That could be kinda fun to record and publicize

randomnoise fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2009 around 04:03

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Willa Rogers posted:

the day he leaves office he'll be covered by medicare (he already has medicare as his secondary insurer)

actually, though, I think congress gets health bennies 4 lyfe, lucky duckies

if only there was someone who wanted to give every american the same coverage as members of congress get. drat I bet that'd be pretty popular. probably get a lot of votes running on something like that

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Kunabomber posted:

Los angeles

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

but the us postal service is like the envy of the world? it's fast and reliable and fairly cheap and you pretty much never get your poo poo stolen.

When the us government decides to do something RIGHT, it does a really really good loving job at it. See also the US National Laboratories, where any scientist in the world can have his experiment done on US government equipment, some of the most advanced and unique in the world, by US government employed scientists, FOR FREE, for only the promise that whatever he publishes out of that work be published openly for the sake of international science.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3150776...lth-health_care

welp looks like it won't be a problem for long.
when half the primary care doctors in the US die of old age (soon) we'll have true health care equality. no one will get any

the free market health care system. guaranteeing millions of people can't even get a doctor even if they CAN pay for it because kids all wanna be ortho's and use hundred dollar bills as napkins

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

*has 8 years of profoundly terrible mismanagement and corruption under a Republican administration*

"loving LIBERALS, don't you see, big government DOESN'T WORK!"

I wish I could drive a railroad spike through every elected Republican's skull

what, and spare george bush?

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Der Meister posted:

yes doctors and hospitals are to blame for the horrible system they operate under, certianly not politicians who killed any sort of general public healthcare system or the insurance companies

gently caress off
Actually a few weeks ago someone posted an article that went into detail about just how much certain practices by doctors and hospitals really were loving us over. Doctors are taking shares in specialty clinics and getting kickbacks for ordering tests or cutting deals with hospitals to send people there etc.

Just because the insurance companies and every elected official in america are pieces of poo poo doesn't mean that there is no room anywhere for anyone else to also be a piece of poo poo in related industries.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

"oh noes if i stop paying tens of thousands of dollars to the insuance mob I may have to pay a few hundred please don't come after me mister government i love insurance companies"

If that article is accurate it almost kinda looks like a way to ninja single payer into the system because at employers being scared off from dropping for-profit insurance because of a $750 annual fee per worker. So basically everyone ends up on the government plan within a few hours of the bill passing. Once everyone is in the system I guess we're supposed to hpe that someone somewhere shits out a decent human being into washington to just convert the system to something you might see in a modern civilized nation circa before any of you were born.

it still says they want the government plan to "compete" so it depends on how terribly they cripple that.

They're planning on raising 52 billion over 10 years from 750 annual fees.
That's less than 7 million people paying the fee.
There is no loving way you can say with a straight face that 750 dollars a year will be a deterrent against dropping for-profit insurance. Thats not even a premium payment anymore.

something is really hosed here there is no way anyone in the senate would pull out something like this. There's gotta be a big chewy poo poo center that the article just doesnt bite deep enough to taste

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

It looks really circular. It really doesn't make any sense from any direction other than "trick everyone into getting on a public plan, pay for it later."

If an employer drops someone, they pay a fee.
That fee subsidizes people that cant afford insurance.
But, paying the fee means you're not covering a worker, so that worker needs to buy insurance, which means THEY need to go on the public plan. (or get suckered into for-profit ghetto garbage policies that will pop up and charge low preiums and won't cover poo poo)

In effect, the money to subsidize putting people on the public plan is raised by generating more people that also need to be on the same plan.

Also, paying the fee is vastly more profitable than paying the insurance racket so unless there's a huge hidden catch, you're gonna get a lot more than just 7million people getting dumped onto this.

Basically it looks like it's either step 1 towards single payer, or a ponzi scheme. Because we're talking about US senators, I'm kinda leaning towards ponzi. But who knows, kennedy's dying, maybe he wants to go to heaven or something

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

DaveWoo posted:

It makes more sense if you flip it around: if the employer chooses not to provide health coverage, thereby generating more people eligible for the public plan, then that employer has to subsidize the public plan.

If private health insurance sucks so badly that employers would rather pay the $750 fine than provide coverage, then it becomes a step towards single-payer.

Hidden catch detected.

The fees don't subsidize the government plan.
The fees subsidize people that can't afford insurance.

It doesnt look like a health care system or a ponzi scheme. It's just a handout to the insurance companies by helping more people buy the poo poo they're peddling. Faith in america, restored

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Ardennes posted:

Granted, this would mean the public option would be in creditably over funded, considering it is not for profit
hahaha the whole thing will be run by contractors it'll be profitable as a motherfucker

just not for you

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

too bad those are just 3 examples of failed systems that dont work, just show me ONE SINGLE EXAMPLE of the system working which i will actually accept as a legitimate example.

https://www.goarmy.com

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

to be fair, if that's what it took to shame you as an american you've been asleep at the wheel for a while

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

If 70 - 80% of americans really do support government run health care, why has no one ever taken any kind of serious steps in mobilizing them to literally terrorize congress into submission? Seriously look at how much coverage the tea party mongoloids got. A full page newspaper ad, maybe even a half, in a few regions could probably fit in all of the major bullet points for single payer in a decent format as well as contact info for the locally relevant political offices. If someone organized a coordinated "bombing" of congress by telling people to zerg the phone lines for their congresspeople and barrage them with email and hard copy letters on a specific day, it would make national news when the lines and servers got swamped and congress was paralyzed.

Something similar has happened before but I cant recall what it was about.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

warwick5s posted:

this is happening right now (DFA, dailykos, moveon, etc) and it seems like they have a decent amount of bombing going on but still not enough

they're also running ads in wavering dem's districts, which is one of the reasons why Hagan caved
Yeah but I assume that's just their normal progressive activism which, frankly, everyone in america ignores. The idea is to make the campaign itself into a newsworthy event, thus multiplying your reach, just like was happening during the election (3 am phone call?) For example it looks like you could put a full national page in the sunday NYT for 175k, which isn't really out of reach for a small grassroots. I assume local papers would be far cheaper. You could lay out all the typical right wing bullshit and debunk it to sway people to your side, then demand everyone mail AND email AND phone congress every day starting on X as well as maybe even try to fit in an actual protest. Then you get MSNBC or CNN to acknowledge the ad exists and now everyone that has their face glued to network news will hear about it all day every day just like the GM ad or some whining AIG exec bitching about people hating his bourgeois rear end for being a bourgeois rear end in a top hat.

No one gives a gently caress about low level political pressure in america, the news is dominated by spectacle. You can call everyone in the house every day and get nothing done, but if you BREAK the phones and get on the news, maybe people will notice. People have to stop pretending that anyone in congress will ever do anything because its right.

edit: even if half the people calling are trailer shitheel lumpenproles trying to save the fortunes of their insurance masters, it doesnt matter once the phones go dead. If the barrage is started by a single payer capmaign, that's what will get talked about

randomnoise fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2009 around 23:56

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

I would take that as a sign to barrage the white house as well. Shutting down the white house's phones would be a good way to hit the news networks.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

if you donated all the wool they just tried to pull over your eyes you could save an entire poor siberian village from freezing to death this winter

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

I wonder how much it would cost for one of those people to hire blackwater to murder congressmen until the survivors pass single payer? Probably less than what people like that are spending for the privilege of surviving a few more weeks in this shithole country.

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

frest posted:

well if you take into account jointly filing married couples 350 ain't a hard nut to crack

welcome to the republican party

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

what good is all that bribe money if you dont get a chance to spend it?

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

redscare posted:

Soviet medicine may have been pretty lovely in many metrics but you still got put back together and would be able to get back to being a productive member of the Proletariat without going bankrupt.

I dunno our system is pretty good at that. think about how much harder people work when they have to hold 3 jobs to pay their medical bills

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Mister Six posted:

this video is like a week old so it may have been posted already but i enjoyed it. there's not any information in it anyone who's read these threads or uses their brain doesn't already know but it might be good to show to people who have neglected to use their brain muscles so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSM8t_cLZgk

kill everyone in congress, give that guy like 500 votes

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Darkwing_Duck posted:

as opposed to now when no one gets between you and your doctor

except the nurse, the gp you had to see to get the referral to the doctor, the insurance adjuster, the auditer claiming youre abusing your benefits, the manager who drops you from the insurance when you use too much, and the loving GRAVEDIGGER WHEN YOU DIE

don't forget that in the south you can also add in the pharmacist if he thinks jesus wouldn't have prescribed those drugs

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

I AM AN AMERICAN CONSERVATIVE SHITHEEL

this morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US department of energy.
I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility.
After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the national weather service of the national oceanographic and atmospheric administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the national aeronautics and space administration. I watched this while eating my breakfast of US department of agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the food and drug administration.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the national institute of standards and technology and the US naval observatory, I get into my national highway traffic safety administration approved automobile and set out to work on the roads build by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the environmental protection agency, using legal tender issed by the federal reserve bank. On the way out the door I deposit any mail I have to be sent out via the US postal service and drop the kids off at the public school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work thanks to the workplace regulations imposed by the department of labor and the occupational safety and health administration, enjoying another two meals which again do not kill me because of the USDA, I drive my NHTSA car back home on the DOT roads, to ny house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal's inspection, and which has not been plundered of all it's valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then log on to the internet which was developed by the defense advanced research projects administration and post on freerepublic.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the government can't do anything right

I'm pretty sure I missed a few. I wonder what kind of fun could fall out from cleaning it up a bit and tossing it at a few newspapers comments sections
edit: needs some consumer product safety commission somewhere at least

randomnoise fucked around with this message at Jul 24, 2009 around 20:21

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Jay B. Bulworth posted:

i walked on the sidewalk
yeah I guess you could take the kids to a CITY park CONSERVED BY FIAT

stun runner posted:

haha that's a great idea, i'd love it to be cleaned up

you could add GPS too
Also include the VA, military, and medicare when mentioning health care. I might work on it a bit more actually. It might make a nice youtube style commercial with all the federal logos flashing every time BIG GOVERNMENT is ruining your life with SOCIALISM

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

Bolek posted:

its seems like its a variation on this email forward

there is also the conservative version that i beleive is out there that i cannot seem to find

I've actually never seen that before and just threw it all together myself but it's obviously not shocking new material. at least, not to those of us commie liberals that got anything out of our public socialist education.

I'm kinda interested in seeing just how far it can really be stretched (and still be readable)...like I mentioned the congressionally mandated time zones and standard/savings times and the NIST+US naval observatory keeping BIG GOVERNMENTS claws around time itself

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

t3ch3 posted:

This is all great except for the inclusion of the federal reserve bank.

thanks, there's a few parts I think are kinda clumsily put together like the time one and the fire/police.

I'll probably drop the fed part and include something about a paycheck going to an fdic insured bank account or something, and try to clean up the overall flow a bit before trying to send it off to newpaper comments for fun or make a youtube commercial out of it or something

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

historically speaking it would result in a surge of rightwing fanaticism fueling annihilation of civil liberties and possibly brown people. not really an optimum outcome. I guess we'll find out though because it's gotta be only a matter of time before the terminally ill start martying themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomnoise
Dec 20, 2004

by mons all madden

i think people have posted elsewhere in the thread that its around 22000 so yeah, about 7 9/11's or 5 ARE TRROPS in Iraq

«8 »